The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liamnut
Onions have a low ph, changes the active site of enzymes in respiration, reduces rate of enzyme controlled reactions, or something along those lines.

i don't think it meant explain in that sense, more explain using the data in the table why onion was correct
Reply 2321
Original post by mastermdc
Did you mean to forget the O in "rubiscO"
Is the full name not: Ribulose Bisphosphate carboxylase-oxygenase

You're right and i did put -oxygenase in the exam but i was quoting the spec and in the specification it says "ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase (rubisco)" if you need proof look at it here http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/81028-specification.pdf
Original post by milworthy
i don't think it meant explain in that sense, more explain using the data in the table why onion was correct

Yep, I done both. I added the ph stuff in the additional space at the end since the question below was the same but worth fewer marks.
Original post by Choyboyy
This is wrong :/ The parasite is evolved to live anaerobically because VEINS in the body only carry deoxygenated blood. The parasite would not survive if it could only respire aerobically in the veins :smile:

This is what I put. I got told by a lot of people it was wrong but I honestly can't see what else it would be.

I think there will probably be multiple answers in the MS for this though. Someone else in the thread mentioned most of the oxygen is in the RBCs and the parasites cannot pass through the cell membrane. That seems like another possible answer.
Biology is just a load of tosh really.
Original post by Liamnut
Clever. I put some bull**** about how if they took the oxgen the host might die and the oxgen is fixed to haemoglonin so they can't get it off.

Haha! I made up some similar, random theory too
I said the host will die and thus aerobic parasites will die
Only the ones adapted for anaerobic respiration will survive/host survives

I think is very wrong
But I do not understand what else they wanted :'(

Actually feel like got about 2 marks on the whole paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spleenharvester
This is what I put. I got told by a lot of people it was wrong but I honestly can't see what else it would be.

I think there will probably be multiple answers in the MS for this though. Someone else in the thread mentioned most of the oxygen is in the RBCs and the parasites cannot pass through the cell membrane. That seems like another possible answer.

The answer we had was most logical and straight forward. Will defiantly be in the mark scheme dont you worry.
Original post by dislikeAlevels
Biology is just a load of tosh really.

I think so too :smile:
The answer we had was most logical and straight forward. Will defiantly be in the mark scheme dont you worry.

If you said a point, but didn't explain it could you still get the mark?
Original post by limesorbet
Haha! I made up some similar, random theory too
I said the host will die and thus aerobic parasites will die
Only the ones adapted for anaerobic respiration will survive/host survives

I think is very wrong
But I do not understand what else they wanted :'(

Actually feel like got about 2 marks on the whole paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't stress, on to f215. Also, it's a suggest question, that means anwsers aren't set in stone, I think the thing about veins makes the most sense seen as there is no oxegen and in order to survive they therefore have to respire anarobicly
Original post by Evelyn.AT

It was a one mark question if I remember correctly so likely not. Eitherway, it's only a one mark question. :tongue:
The largest vein which we had to label, to the left would the 'central vein' be accepted?
It was a one mark question if I remember correctly so likely not. Eitherway, it's only a one mark question. :tongue:

Damn, how are you feeling for the next one?

If you said one valid point, yeah - one mark.
However you should have tried to elaborate your answer because you could have BS'ed the explanation
Original post by Josh989
The largest vein which we had to label, to the left would the 'central vein' be accepted?

It will allow central vein or hepatic vein. I remember this in previous mark schemes for legacy papers :smile:
Damn, how are you feeling for the next one?

Pretty confident, I was absolutely bricking it after struggling to learn all 80 pages of notes, but got to the past papers and it seems easier than F214 if anything. Grade boundaries are on average 6% lower. You?
Reply 2336
Original post by TJ321
For the parasite question I said that the parasites don't have mitochondria so can't carry out the krebs cycle, link reaction and oxidative phosphorylation.

First person who actually got the same answer as me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also for the synthesis of..... pH/electrochemical gradient question what was the answer?
A will not be higher than 44 IMO.
If you said one valid point, yeah - one mark.
However you should have tried to elaborate your answer because you could have BS'ed the explanation

Ok thanks. Hopefully it was valid :smile:

Pretty confident, I was absolutely bricking it after struggling to learn all 80 pages of notes, but got to the past papers and it seems easier than F214 if anything. Grade boundaries are on average 6% lower. You?

Whattt? Easier than F214? I find it so much harder, because there is a lot of content involved. Really? Yayyy. Good luck for it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending