The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rahgas
I can't seem to find the F215 thread, does anyone have a link to it please?

From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be one.
Really hate this unit especially homeostasis :angry:
Original post by niceguy95
Really hate this unit especially homeostasis :angry:

Really? I loved this one! The only interesting stuff in unit 5 is the genome tech imo
Reply 23
Really enjoying this unit! Can anyone explain the relationship between ADH and Collecting Duct, confused! thanks
Reply 24
Original post by mackayg
Really enjoying this unit! Can anyone explain the relationship between ADH and Collecting Duct, confused! thanks

ADH is th hormone that is released by the neuroreceptors from the posterior pituitary gland.
ADH has its receptors on the cell surface membrane of the collecting duct. when ADH binds to its receptors, this causes aquaporins( water channels) to attach to the cell surface membrane of the collecting duct, thus making the collecting duct permeable to water and water leaves the duct by osmosis to the tissue fluid, and eventually the blood plasma.

hope that helps..:smile:
Reply 25
Original post by LucyQ
So does everyone agree that using the gcp revision guide can get you an A??

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know what's even better?
Hodder Education A2 Biology..
The chief examiner, Frank, writes tips in order to structure your revision solidly.
Ever since, I've been able to achieve 54+ in mock examination papers, and see where I would need to improve quite easily so it's extremely handy!
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ché.
The chief examiner, Frank, writes tips in order to structure your revision solidly.
Ever since, I've been able to achieve 54+ in mock examination papers, and see where I would need to improve quite easily so it's extremely handy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate

What did you eventually get in F322 last year and how you finding the A2 stuff.
Reply 27
Original post by niceguy95
Mate

What did you eventually get in F322 last year and how you finding the A2 stuff.

Hey!
Firstly, did you mean F212?
F322 is Chemistry, no!?
Aha!

I got 132/150, last year through pure luck I reckon; I will be resitting it though in order to get higher as F215 seems to be a little more challenging than expected: I'm aiming for an A* btw.

You?

A2?
F214 is my strong point due to the sheer fascination of the specification content.
F215 is marvellous too; it just differentiates the good from the great I think... I definitely need to pin down all content to the A/A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ché.
Hey!
Firstly, did you mean F212?
F322 is Chemistry, no!?
Aha!

I got 132/150, last year through pure luck I reckon; I will be resitting it though in order to get higher as F215 seems to be a little more challenging than expected: I'm aiming for an A* btw.

You?

A2?
F214 is my strong point due to the sheer fascination of the specification content.
F215 is marvellous too; it just differentiates the good from the great I think... I definitely need to pin down all content to the A/A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Help guys, I have to self teach F214 and F215, I haven’t looked at the textbook at all yet. If I were to start from the first spread of F214 from this week what grade can I realistically get on both these modules? Also I have to do my other A2 subjects too so I can only do a couple hours of Biology per day. Thank you
Reply 29
Original post by Student296
Help guys, I have to self teach F214 and F215, I haven’t looked at the textbook at all yet. If I were to start from the first spread of F214 from this week what grade can I realistically get on both these modules? Also I have to do my other A2 subjects too so I can only do a couple hours of Biology per day. Thank you

Well?
F214 is designed for easier access to gain marks with set theory and a lot less application than the latter modules - F212 and F215.
If you commit to fulfil your learning time and target proper set hours, realistically, you would get a C maximum.
I mean?
F215, on the other hand, is a different story. I have been taught F215 and we still have Module 4 - Responding to the environment - left to cover.
I wouldn't want to guess the grade you'll get because I wouldn't think it'll be too high - but I could be wrong...
I can tell that F215 is FULL of content, and when I mean full, I mean... It differentiates the good from the great...

I find it somewhat challenging enough.
I hope that'll help... :biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ché.
Well?
F214 is designed for easier access to gain marks with set theory and a lot less application than the latter modules - F212 and F215.
If you commit to fulfil your learning time and target proper set hours, realistically, you would get a C maximum.
I mean?
F215, on the other hand, is a different story. I have been taught F215 and we still have Module 4 - Responding to the environment - left to cover.
I wouldn't want to guess the grade you'll get because I wouldn't think it'll be too high - but I could be wrong...
I can tell that F215 is FULL of content, and when I mean full, I mean... It differentiates the good from the great...

I find it somewhat challenging enough.
I hope that'll help... :biggrin::wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Appreciate your response, I guess we'll find out how clever I really am on results day :redface:
Original post by Ché.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope the books help me, I'm running out out revision techniques and bought AS and A2 books from hodder education. They look great so far and cheers for the suggestions :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by Student296
Appreciate your response, I guess we'll find out how clever I really am on results day :redface:

Ah, you're welcome...
I hope haven't deflated you in any way, shape or form by the way... I just wanted to portray realism because that's the best thing a fellow TSR could do... :biggrin::wink::smile:

Try learn from the Hodder Education OCR Biology revision book... Extraordinarily awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by _Coolbanana
Hope the books help me, I'm running out out revision techniques and bought AS and A2 books from hodder education. They look great so far and cheers for the suggestions :biggrin:

Ah, you'll have no regrets whatsoever...
The book entails a series of nicely concise revision notes on each specification point in relation to overall categories, including topic-specific "Many candidates confuse..." with examiner feedback and precise location of synopsis beyond that paper's content. Additionally, a revision planner is attached giving you any indication on the workload, preservative and motivation needed to meet your desires grade in A2 Biology!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spleenharvester
The CGP book is awful imo. It's okay for reading through and getting an understanding, but it doesn't contain the kind of vocab you need to get the higher marks. Also, some parts of the spec are outright missing from it. OCR's book, though quite well known for its mistakes, is far better for producing notes with, since it's often very similar marking points that come up in the questions.

I usually use a combination of the OCR textbook and the internet to double check it.

I completely disagree. The CGP book is almost always the source I rely on because its often of the level used in the mark scheme. It doesn't provide the whole picture but which book does?

The official book contains way too much information to learn and understand in addition to 2 or 3 other A Levels. If you go into too much detail you waste time in the exam and don't get the marks.

I got a C in the January 2013 F211 exam using the internet and the text book. Turned my focus to the CGP book (linking back to the official book) and got 100% in F215, 90% in F214. Not trying to sound an arse, just think its unfair to say you can't get the highest marks with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should say I meant F212 and F211. Can't edit my post for some reason, sorry for the double post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Yeah...
I do agree with components of the CGP revision experience too; it's absolutely safe enough to use it solely and has gotten me higher marks too alongside other education resources. :smile:

Anyway...
Has anyone sat the June 2013 F214 examination paper?
I had an official mock examination today and I wanted to know your experiences with it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MarkProbio
I completely disagree. The CGP book is almost always the source I rely on because its often of the level used in the mark scheme. It doesn't provide the whole picture but which book does?

The official book contains way too much information to learn and understand in addition to 2 or 3 other A Levels. If you go into too much detail you waste time in the exam and don't get the marks.

I got a C in the January 2013 F211 exam using the internet and the text book. Turned my focus to the CGP book (linking back to the official book) and got 100% in F215, 90% in F214. Not trying to sound an arse, just think its unfair to say you can't get the highest marks with it.

Fair enough, each to their own. But there are many areas where the CGP book is just off the mark completely, for example I think it was the section on golden rice? It was something around that section, but what was in the CGP guide was not even close to what the textbook, or the past questions, were after. I would find some examples to back this stuff up but I gave my CGP book to a friend after I finished the syllabus. While the OCR textbook is full of crud it becomes easy enough to weed the rubbish out with practice.

Additionally I've known people who spent ages and ages working from the CGP book who then went on to get a U. Honestly I think it depends far more on the individual than the book that's being used.

Well done on the mark by the way. Very hopeful I'll be there in August too but F215 is stressing me out to hell, so much to remember. :tongue:

Original post by Ché.
Yeah...
I do agree with components of the CGP revision experience too; it's absolutely safe enough to use it solely and has gotten me higher marks too alongside other education resources. :smile:

Anyway...
Has anyone sat the June 2013 F214 examination paper?
I had an official mock examination today and I wanted to know your experiences with it too.

Sat it in January, scraped A* overall (the boundary was 50 marks for it if I remember correctly). Did make some really stupid mistakes like losing two marks on the kidney question for using the word "distal" instead of "proximal", and I lost the rest of my marks on the homeostasis questions.

Quite a nice paper in all though, hope we get one like it.

How'd you find it? :smile:
Tbh if someone gets a U it's down to more than their book, and thanks, hoping A2 goes as well as AS too!

As for the June F214, I always find F214 (and found F211) much more difficult as there's much less room for error. I find it harder to answer 3-4 mark questions than 8-9 markers because you have to be very selective on what to write. But the paper was okay, plenty of questions involving data/information which is always a good source of marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x__justmyluck
I found the CGP revision guide really helpful, don't believe that 'if you only use the revision guide you can't get higher than a C'. Obviously past papers nearer the time.

Totally agree. CGP can be better than the exam boards books. It's so condensed and simplified making it easy to understand.

Latest

Trending

Trending