Visit website
Original post by Blyts-_
what did you get in your A-levels?

I got AAB.
Reply 22
Original post by LeicesterStudent
I got AAB.

What A-levels did you do
Whats the best student accommodation in your opinion, and where would you rank CODE? I had a look there last week but I don't know how it compares to the others.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by TheRestIsHistory
Whats the best student accommodation in your opinion, and where would you rank CODE? I had a look there last week but I don't know how it compares to the others.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Hey, I honestly don't know about CODE because I didn't live there. It's within the city, whereas Oadby is on the outskirts. I guess conversely, not many people will be living in CODE that are on your course as a fresher.

The best student accommodation materially I guess would be John Foster, but that's also hideously expensive. I stayed in Lasdun, which on the outside looks like a prison but is actually really nice.

I can't recommend that you live in CODE because as I say, I have no experience of it, and most Freshers will be living in Oadby. If you do choose to however, it is pretty plush, and you will obviously make friends. I'm not really friends with any of my coursemates, all of my friends are flatmates. It's all arbitrary really anyway because after a year you'll probably get a house with your mates.
Reply 25
Do you have any information on the computer Science department ? I have heard that the facilities are old etc...

I have also been wondering on how big Leicester UNIVERSITY is, is it a big university or a small one, I've heard that its pretty small... I dunno, would you compare it to something like Birmingham University or something like Surrey university ?

If you have enough time can you vaguely describe the freshers at the uni... Are they the party type or regular

THANKS !!
Original post by 0xygen
Do you have any information on the computer Science department ? I have heard that the facilities are old etc...

I have also been wondering on how big Leicester UNIVERSITY is, is it a big university or a small one, I've heard that its pretty small... I dunno, would you compare it to something like Birmingham University or something like Surrey university ?

If you have enough time can you vaguely describe the freshers at the uni... Are they the party type or regular

THANKS !!

Hey. I don't, unfortunately. I have two friends who are studying computer science and they have never complained about it.

It's cosy, I think. Yes it is small compared to Universities such as Birmingham and Manchester, but the result is that you always see someone you know around campus and a student support service that is second to none. It also makes it easier to get onto sports committees and stuff like that.

The freshers are freshers. They're just like any other group of 18 year olds scared ****less, about to embark on the biggest and weirdest journey of their lives. Yes there is a huge party scene but I think that's true of any university. If you come to Leicester there is a group of people to suit you, believe me.
Reply 27
Hey. I don't, unfortunately. I have two friends who are studying computer science and they have never complained about it.

It's cosy, I think. Yes it is small compared to Universities such as Birmingham and Manchester, but the result is that you always see someone you know around campus and a student support service that is second to none. It also makes it easier to get onto sports committees and stuff like that.

The freshers are freshers. They're just like any other group of 18 year olds scared ****less, about to embark on the biggest and weirdest journey of their lives. Yes there is a huge party scene but I think that's true of any university. If you come to Leicester there is a group of people to suit you, believe me.

Thanks dude, wasn't expecting the university to be that small.. I mean it doesn't look that small on the campus map: "http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/physics/place/images/mcampusfull.gif"

Are the student housings on campus or off ? If off then that could be why its so small... They take up a lot of space. Btw are there any close shops around and how big is the gym ? Cant find a pic of it

Thanks again !!
Original post by 0xygen

Are the student housings on campus or off ?

Off.

The main housing complex for first years is the Oadby Student Village, which is in a very pleasant part of the city. About a 30 minute walk, although most will take the bus.

There is also City Living and a thriving private rented sector; both options can provide accommodation closer to the campus. City Living is primarily (but not exclusively) oriented towards returning students, post grads and international students.
Reply 29
Shoot!

How ethnically diverse is the university?
Original post by 0xygen
Thanks dude, wasn't expecting the university to be that small.. I mean it doesn't look that small on the campus map: "http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/physics/place/images/mcampusfull.gif"

Are the student housings on campus or off ? If off then that could be why its so small... They take up a lot of space. Btw are there any close shops around and how big is the gym ? Cant find a pic of it

Thanks again !!

The gym is fairly large. It has all the machines you would expect and the staff are very helpful. I think it's getting renovated this term/over summer, ad the manor road gym is the nicest and biggest gym I have ever seen. The gym membership is definitely worth it.
Original post by lilyobz
How ethnically diverse is the university?

VERY.
Reply 32
VERY.

Phew.. Glad i wont stick out like a saw thumb.. like i did @ Durhams ucas visit day lol
Reply 33
The gym is fairly large. It has all the machines you would expect and the staff are very helpful. I think it's getting renovated this term/over summer, ad the manor road gym is the nicest and biggest gym I have ever seen. The gym membership is definitely worth it.

Cheers that's reassuring, how much is the membership btw ? and in regards to travel how much is a buss pass ?
Reply 34
Original post by lilyobz
Phew.. Glad i wont stick out like a saw thumb.. like i did @ Durhams ucas visit day lol

Why is ethnic diversity such a big issue ? I mean, does it really matter ? You don't see people walking around telling someone to go away because hes Asian or Arab...

+ If you go to Imperial College you will see more ethnic diversity than anywhere else, I think its mostly Asians.

Anyway, the main message here is to never be let down because you're different.. Keep your head up, think of everyone else as **** and you'll be fine :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lilyobz

God no. There are just as many black, Asian, or otherwise non white people as there are people of European descent. There are societies for every ethnic identity you can imagine so you definitely won't feel out of place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0xygen
Cheers that's reassuring, how much is the membership btw ? and in regards to travel how much is a buss pass ?

I believe the full gym membership is £190 for the year, and a bus pass is £350 a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
I believe the full gym membership is £190 for the year, and a bus pass is £350 a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gym membership is pretty cheap =o

Bus pass isn't though, I dunno thought that it would be paid for with your accommodation.
Original post by 0xygen
Gym membership is pretty cheap =o

Bus pass isn't though, I dunno thought that it would be paid for with your accommodation.

Yeah the gym is a really good deal, the bus pass is not. I never got one, always walked/cycled in, occasionally paid for the bus.
I was under the impression that the amount of white people in Leicester was actually a minority, but after visiting the town for a few hours yesterday, most people seemed relatively middle class, even the few black/Indians I did see. Although in general it wasn't a brilliant place. The only thing it had were shops surrounded by a clock tower and the odd tall building (I saw a random blue one nearby). It's a fairly rundown city with no sense of innovation or power in the air, and covered in Sam Bailey CD's. I wouldn't enjoy university there, though if you'd like to live in a smallish city with a compact town centre and being surrounded by friendly people then I can see why it'd appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending