The Student Room Group

My Road to 5 A's at AS Level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tom102
Everyones different :smile:

Fair enough; good on you! :tongue: I am pretty sure I have some form of internet addiction anyway.... :colondollar: :rolleyes: :redface:
Original post by Blyts-_
I'm retaking Economics Unit 2, do you have any advice which I could use such as exam technique/evaluation? :smile:

If you are on AQA, then I'd recommend really drilling the multiple choice, I picked up 24/25 on that, which could have carried me through the exam. In terms of the essay section, the best advice I can recommend is to link ideas together. Macroeconomics is excellent for this, for example: the idea that increases in GDP and Aggregate Demand are considered good, but if they exceed that predicted by the Bank of England then inflation will drastically rise. Also, try to learn the proper terminology; economics is a banded subject, meaning examiners will place you in a band, and then assign you a mark out of whatever. If you sound like you know what you're talking about, then they will assume you do! :smile:
I got 5 As at AS too, in Maths, Further, Chem, Phys, and Bio, so if you need any tips let me know
Original post by Tom102
I wasn't saying that, I merely mentioned career paths (meaning I could *eventually* get a job in a wide variety of professions).

No. There is no guarantee that you will eventually get a job in that requires those A levels or degree. It is possible, but also it might not happen.
Reply 24
Original post by marcus2001
All about being efficient with your time though isn't it, if he gets up at 6am everyday, he'll have finished all his work by 11am (the time most people wake up in hols).

Mixed bag really :tongue: Did you do 2 hours a day from early on in the year, instead of near the end? That would be enough really! There's nothing wrong with doing around 5 hours though; it's not a long time to be studying and if you have breaks every hour, then it's not even that bad - might take you to around 6/6.5 hours, but even then, you still have most of the day!!

For ASs though, it's just not really needed! You can get by with A LOT less; I only did a bit of extra work on the weekends, making concise notes and reading ahead in the textbook, and that was probably an average of 3/4 hours max over Saturday and Sunday!! Most of my work happened towards the end of the Easter holidays; then, I did around 4 hours on average (a day), but if you're studying sciences, then that's not actually that much, seeing as a single practice paper is 1.5 hours long!! Worked out okay for me; I got 5As, in Maths, Further maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Really, you just need to make sure you understand everything at the end of each week and you'll be fine; then you just need to pull out the stops and do ****loads of work in the Summer term, and everything will go fine! :tongue:
Reply 25
Fair enough; seemed to work out well for you!! :wink:
Original post by Ceryni
Mixed bag really :tongue: Did you do 2 hours a day from early on in the year, instead of near the end? That would be enough really! There's nothing wrong with doing around 5 hours though; it's not a long time to be studying and if you have breaks every hour, then it's not even that bad - might take you to around 6/6.5 hours, but even then, you still have most of the day!!

For ASs though, it's just not really needed! You can get by with A LOT less; I only did a bit of extra work on the weekends, making concise notes and reading ahead in the textbook, and that was probably an average of 3/4 hours max over Saturday and Sunday!! Most of my work happened towards the end of the Easter holidays; then, I did around 4 hours on average (a day), but if you're studying sciences, then that's not actually that much, seeing as a single practice paper is 1.5 hours long!! Worked out okay for me; I got 5As, in Maths, Further maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Really, you just need to make sure you understand everything at the end of each week and you'll be fine; then you just need to pull out the stops and do ****loads of work in the Summer term, and everything will go fine! :tongue:

Well I mean I'm not talking what's necessary, I'm just saying it wouldn't be too bad to work 5 hours a day if you're efficient with your time.

I'm a terrible example anyway, because I averaged about 2 hours a week until a couple weeks before the exam when it rose to about 4 a day, then the day before the exam was like 10 hours. But I have always worked best by just cramming, that way I forget less over the course of the year, I remember for a GCSE physics exam, I had never seen any of the material until the day before the exam (self-taught), and in that day I just learnt the textbook and came out with 100%. The worst thing is that cramming got much worse for me once I got to uni, but even after cramming a years worth of work into a week, I somehow got a 2:1, though it was only first year
I wish I was as enthusiastic as you when I did my Highers...
Reply 28
Really appreciating all the responses from this!
Reply 29
Original post by Kilroy8
No. There is no guarantee that you will eventually get a job in that requires those A levels or degree. It is possible, but also it might not happen.

Thats a pretty pessimistic way of living your life if you think like that. There's a chance that you will remain unemployed after completing med school.

No need to state the obvious.
Original post by Tom102
Thats a pretty pessimistic way of living your life if you think like that. There's a chance that you will remain unemployed after completing med school.

No need to state the obvious.

I apologise. I'm in a bad mood after something at work.
Reply 31
Original post by Kilroy8
I apologise. I'm in a bad mood after something at work.

No worries man, we all have bad moments :smile:
Reply 32
Going through all the definitions for OCR A Chemistry and Physics as of now.

*drone*

Quick Reply

Latest