The Student Room Group

University of Essex VS Kent (Computer Science and nightlife)??

Which one of them do you think is better??
Reply 1
Kent, by far for academic reasons.

94% of their students get work or do further study within 6 months of graduation compared to 85% from Uni of essex

Also those who graduate from Kent that go into employment, 6 months after graduation on average their salary is £27.1k but unsure of essex but I highly doubt its anywhere near that im assuming its around 22-24k.

the statistics are from "Which?"

Hope it helps
Reply 2
Mo'
OP
Original post by Macmed94
Kent, by far for academic reasons.

94% of their students get work or do further study within 6 months of graduation compared to 85% from Uni of essex

Also those who graduate from Kent that go into employment, 6 months after graduation on average their salary is £27.1k but unsure of essex but I highly doubt its anywhere near that im assuming its around 22-24k.

the statistics are from "Which?"

Hope it helps

Yeah, thanks man. What about the accommodation and nightlife?
Reply 3
Original post by Mo'
Yeah, thanks man. What about the accommodation and nightlife?

Personally speaking and based on an educated guess, i'd say they are equally the same, majority of the people that i know who apply for Essex mainly apply because of the nightlife which i think The only way is essex is the reason behind it, on the other hand Kent is a well known university and has a lot of credentials which will mean it will attract a lot of middle class and higher class students which will go every weekend partying and such and therefore their nightlife would be very vibrant but the same could be said about all top universities such as Oxford, cambridge, Imperial and so forth, but when you look at other universities lower in the rankings you'll have to ask around and gather opinions and based on my opinion Essex and kent will have good nightlife if not, essex would have a better nightlife
Reply 4
Mo'
OP
Original post by Macmed94
Personally speaking and based on an educated guess, i'd say they are equally the same, majority of the people that i know who apply for Essex mainly apply because of the nightlife which i think The only way is essex is the reason behind it, on the other hand Kent is a well known university and has a lot of credentials which will mean it will attract a lot of middle class and higher class students which will go every weekend partying and such and therefore their nightlife would be very vibrant but the same could be said about all top universities such as Oxford, cambridge, Imperial and so forth, but when you look at other universities lower in the rankings you'll have to ask around and gather opinions and based on my opinion Essex and kent will have good nightlife if not, essex would have a better nightlife

Ohh yeah, that's true man. I'm not even sure which of them to choose, I guess I will have to visit both universities before making my final decision.
You are right about the fact that people apply to Essex because of it's nightlife. It doesn't really bother me that much, I just want to have a good time and come out with a good degree as well.
I will also look into of their Computer Science departments and compare them too. I like being with people from different cultures, countries, etc. Kent has a lot of international students, doesn't it?
Kent is far better considering the primary objective of university is to learn. Better standards as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 6
Mo'
OP
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Kent is far better considering the primary objective of university is to learn. Better standards as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I know. I guess I'll go with Kent then. However, I hear a lot of people saying that Kent's nightlife is boring and this is kind of putting me off. I want to go to a good Uni but I also want to have a good time. I just can't make up my mind lol.
Original post by Mo'
Yes, I know. I guess I'll go with Kent then. However, I hear a lot of people saying that Kent's nightlife is boring and this is kind of putting me off. I want to go to a good Uni but I also want to have a good time. I just can't make up my mind lol.

Have you visited the campus? I think once you visit it will speak for itself. The amount of events / parties / nightclubs it offers. I have a current offer for Kent but going purely for the academic prospects. I would recommend visiting both Essex and Kent before you make up your mind. I think most universities have a fair decent nightlife as after all it's teenage kids living by themselves. Although I vouch for Kent, Each to their own.
Reply 8
Mo'
OP
Have you visited the campus? I think once you visit it will speak for itself. The amount of events / parties / nightclubs it offers. I have a current offer for Kent but going purely for the academic prospects. I would recommend visiting both Essex and Kent before you make up your mind. I think most universities have a fair decent nightlife as after all it's teenage kids living by themselves. Although I vouch for Kent, Each to their own.

You're right man. I will definitely do that. I'm thinking of applying for Computer Science (2015). What are you planning to study?
Original post by Mo'
You're right man. I will definitely do that. I'm thinking of applying for Computer Science (2015). What are you planning to study?

Accounting & Finance (2014 entry). Have already received my offer.
Reply 10
Mo'
OP
Accounting & Finance (2014 entry). Have already received my offer.

That's good man; good luck! I might see you there in 2015.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending