The Student Room Group

Level of Mathematics required for Trading

I was wondering whether banks accept people with non-Mathematics/Economics/Physics/Engineering/CS backgrounds for trading roles. I would say that I am quite good at mental maths and I've gone through brainteasers and they're not too bad.

However, I study a humanities degree and I'm guessing there is a bias towards mathematical degrees for Trading.

Which desks don't require a degree in Mathematics/Economics? Cash equities?

Do any of you know anyone who has done/is doing trading without a mathematical degree?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Black Hair
I was wondering whether banks accept people with non-Mathematics/Economics/Physics/Engineering/CS backgrounds for trading roles. I would say that I am quite good at mental maths and I've gone through brainteasers and they're not too bad.

However, I study a humanities degree and I'm guessing there is a bias towards mathematical degrees for Trading.

Which desks don't require a degree in Mathematics/Economics? Cash equities?

Do any of you know anyone who has done/is doing trading without a mathematical degree?

Thanks!

Yes they prefer engineers/linguists, but theres a reason why humanities like classics have one of the highest employability records

Get your internships and 2:1 and you'll be fine :P
Reply 2
Just be competent at basic mathematics for plain vanilla products. You'll be tested anyway, and depending on your background you'll go through calculations in interviews.
Reply 3
Obviously depends on the product to what level of maths is 'required'. From my experience rates swap/bond traders tend to have at least a bachelors in a maths/science or engineering discipline. Non-linear stuff tends to attract a larger proportion of people with masters and above.

However there is a high degree of self selection bias for both of these as I would imagine that the sort of people who apply or have the skills come from a mathematical background.
Reply 4
Been through a two-month futures trading internship over the summer and can tell that from my experience, maths weren't the biggest concern whilst on the desk. YES, you need to be comfortable with numbers and able to understand what the analytical tools you're using come from but a lot of what you're using is actually automated... A trader isn't good if he's "only" a maths genius, he needs to fully understand his environment as well as himself (risk & stress management); those are skills that aren't necessarily appreciated enough in engineering/maths academic backgrounds. Give yourself a chance ! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending