The Student Room Group

First time travelling on a train

I've just printed my tickets to go back to Leeds on Monday and I'll be changing over in Manchester Picadilly - what's it like there? I've got a 10 minute window to change trains in a place I've never been before, how big is the place and how easy is it to find trains? It didn't give me a platform number on the ticket.
I have only been a few times. It's a fairly simple station. 12 Platforms all in one area situated behind the main station concourse.

This National rail site has a map: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_MAN/plan.html?rtnloc=MAN

It should be a case of getting off your train, heading through the barriers and onto the main concourse area. Then just look for your connecting train on the screens!
Original post by LukeyJB
I've just printed my tickets to go back to Leeds on Monday and I'll be changing over in Manchester Picadilly - what's it like there? I've got a 10 minute window to change trains in a place I've never been before, how big is the place and how easy is it to find trains? It didn't give me a platform number on the ticket.

I've never used that station, so can't explain the layout. However, if you go to the journey planner on nationalrail.co.uk and enter the details for the journey you're about to make, you should see how many changes are required and (if you click on that number) it will tell you where the changes are and which platforms are involved. But keep an eye on the message boards and listen for announcements - trains can run late, and platforms can and do change.

Good luck with this - my girlfriend has screwed up 2 of her four rail journeys so far :facepalm:
Reply 3
Original post by InnerTemple
I have only been a few times. It's a fairly simple station. 12 Platforms all in one area situated behind the main station concourse.

This National rail site has a map: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_MAN/plan.html?rtnloc=MAN

It should be a case of getting off your train, heading through the barriers and onto the main concourse area. Then just look for your connecting train on the screens!

I printed my tickets so how will I get through the barriers? They're A4 sheets of paper.
Reply 4
Just go the kiosk, they should help in no time
Original post by LukeyJB
I printed my tickets so how will I get through the barriers? They're A4 sheets of paper.

Hopefully the rail people thought of that when they created the 'print ticket' function :smile:
I suspect you'll just have to flash the ticket at a human inspector, if a barrier is blocking your way.
Does your ticket have a large square pattern on it, like a 2-dimensional barcode? If so, the ticket inspectors have a handheld device to authenticate those.
One more tip... make sure you are carrying the card you used to purchase the ticket, as I believe the T&Cs for paper tickets require you to do that.
Original post by LukeyJB

As Pasterfarian said above, just show your paper ticket at the barrier.

Actually, looking at the National Rail site, there are no barriers - you can just walk through to the trains.

What usually happens is that you walk to your platform and there will be a guard checking tickets. Sometimes no one checks tickets and a guard will be on thr train checking.

In any event, just be sure to take your ticket and any relevant travelcards etc. Enjoy your journey.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks guys, knowing my luck I'll get stranded in Manchester but I can hope for the best!
Manchester Piccadilly is easy peasy. Platforms 1-12 are for journeys starting/ending at Manchester (all Cross-Country & Virgin services, some of Arriva Trains Wales, First Transpennine Express, Northern Rail and East Midland Trains) Platforms 13 & 14 are up the travelator and are through services which will be everything except Cross-Country and Virgin services. No barriers but plenty of ticket inspectors beyond the glass doors.
Original post by LukeyJB
I've just printed my tickets to go back to Leeds on Monday and I'll be changing over in Manchester Picadilly - what's it like there? [...]

It's Tuesday, and no word from LukeyJB - should we send out search parties? :colone:
Reply 10
Original post by Pastaferian
It's Tuesday, and no word from LukeyJB - should we send out search parties? :colone:

I got home same, albeit the platform at which I arrived was the platform where I had to get my next train... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest