The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

PGCE 2014 Applicants QUB (Queen's University Belfast)

Hello, I have (very surprisingly) been invited to an interview for a maths PGCE at QUB. I really didn't expect this as, even though I applied in hope, I don't directly study maths - I study business economics. I do want to become a maths teacher though and I had the intention of doing a subject knowledge enhancement course after I graduate this year and then reapplying for 2015 entry.
My question is this: Do they interview everyone or is the fact that they are interviewing me a sign that I can get onto the course with my degree alone. Also, how many applicants are there normally for this course and how many get accepted?
What kind of experience do successful applicant normally have?
What do I need to know in preparation for the interview?

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone checked the application portal, my page still says decision pending, I'm a science PGCE applicant and last year it was February before I got a letter. Should I email them to check up on the application (check if my referees have provided reference etc)? Just getting a tiny bit worried...out of curiousity has anyone else received letters for interviews this month?
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Hey, have you heard anything yet? It still says application pending on my portal but I've heard nothing about an interview. Does this mean I didn't get it? :frown:
Original post by jadie0908
Hey, have you heard anything yet? It still says application pending on my portal but I've heard nothing about an interview. Does this mean I didn't get it? :frown:

Hey, I got a reply about two weeks back, but I emailed them about when the letter should be out. They'll be sending them up until February, what area you applying for?
Reply 4
Original post by mickyfitz13
Hey, I got a reply about two weeks back, but I emailed them about when the letter should be out. They'll be sending them up until February, what area you applying for?

Hi, what ind of reply did you get? Was it a letter? When do you think I can expect to hear if I have been successful or not?
Original post by rhesk23
Hi, what ind of reply did you get? Was it a letter? When do you think I can expect to hear if I have been successful or not?

Oh, I meant reply for interview, not if I was accepted into course! They said to me if the interview went well and I was accepted I'd know by the end of February or March at latest!
Hello! Anyone know what way the interview goes? I've got mine on Thursday, and although I have a fair idea about questions, mine is in Religious Studies, I have no idea what to look to put into the presentation. It has to be about my favourite area of Religion, but is it generally, or is it with some sort of application to teaching?
Reply 7
Original post by Catherine987
Hello! Anyone know what way the interview goes? I've got mine on Thursday, and although I have a fair idea about questions, mine is in Religious Studies, I have no idea what to look to put into the presentation. It has to be about my favourite area of Religion, but is it generally, or is it with some sort of application to teaching?

Hi Catherine. Did you have your interview? If you did what sort of questions did they ask you? I have my interview on Friday and I am so nervous:frown:
Reply 8
I had my interview yday. Wasn't what I was expecting only asked 4 questions.
Reply 9
Hey there everyone I had an interview for the English PGCE at Queens in Jan . Has anyone heard back yet? Or do you know, when we will know, if its a yes or a no :-/
Original post by Paza
Hey there everyone I had an interview for the English PGCE at Queens in Jan . Has anyone heard back yet? Or do you know, when we will know, if its a yes or a no :-/

I'm sure it'll be after the interviews, and there are still interviews ongoing, so I'd assume late February or early March for a reply.
Reply 11
What were the 4 questions they asked you? God I'm so nervous!
Reply 12
Original post by Mor14
I had my interview yday. Wasn't what I was expecting only asked 4 questions.

What was it like? I'm so nervous! And what were the 4 questions they asked you?
Reply 13
Yea they are still doing interviews so you won't hear back for a good while. I was looking at previous threads and people were waiting to hear back in May!! So don't panic. Queens are usually disorganised with this :smile:
Original post by jadie5669

General questions that I came across was about your own experience working with kids, what is the role of the teacher, what skills does the teacher need. I'm a physics student so it might be slightly different with yours.
Reply 15
I'm sure it'll be after the interviews, and there are still interviews ongoing, so I'd assume late February or early March for a reply.

Thanks for the reply , Yea I thought it would be March , they said march but living in hope :smile:

How'd your interview go?
Reply 17
Hey! The interview is tomorrow at 12.20.. So nervous! Hopefully it goes ok but! How did you find your interview?
Hey! The interview is tomorrow at 12.20.. So nervous! Hopefully it goes ok but! How did you find your interview?

Nerve wracking! What subject area you teaching?
Reply 19
Nerve wracking! What subject area you teaching?

Eek! Did you have a presentation? I have to do one:frown: Sociology! What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending