The Student Room Group

Has gaming become only for the rich?

Even next gen consoles are around £350-450 mark. Games can cost anywhere up to £55. The average age of a gamer is increasing to around 27-32. Alongside online play costing ££££.

Is this going to be a trend?

Many of my friends don't even have a ps4/xbox one yet and in comparison to launches of xbox 360/ps2 etc.

Scroll to see replies

rofl u didn't type that with a straight face did u
Who needs games when you have books :rolleyes:.
Yes gaming is increasingly being targeted at people who can afford the extensive cost! How crazy that companies are chasing profitable business plans?
Gaming has always been expensive... why do you think there was sheer outrage when the DRM proposals for the Xbox One were announced? People buy used games to support their hobby.

Or the fact that these stupid fanboy wars about Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are from a result that most people can afford only one console.

I Won't be buying a PS4 or an Xbox One for at least 3 to 4 years time. My PS3 is doing me just fine.
Reply 5
Didn't the PS3 and Xbox360 cost about the same when they were first released?
Reply 6
Original post by Abdul-Karim

boooooo :wink:
Impatient fools will succumb to the hefty prices placed on gaming consoles.

Id happily wait a year for the prices to drop and then purchase one.
Reply 8
This is why I tend to wait a while / buy second hand.
I think things have always been that expensive (in relative terms), it just smarts a bit when a new console comes out because of course the launch price is going to be exorbitant. Even the PS1 had an RRP of £300 when it launched and that was way back in 1995!

So arguably, things are actually getting cheaper, which I'd imagine is down to the wider appeal these days. Things are still pretty costly though on the whole - not that it ever seems to stop people on benefits getting the latest console :rolleyes:
Reply 10

Behave, Unis books cost £50 +
Reply 11
Focus on your studies.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Behave, Unis books cost £50 +

Who needs to buy books when there are libraries :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Who needs to buy books when there are libraries :rolleyes:

My recent library fine was £54 !!
My recent library fine was £54 !!

Do people even pay those :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by ConnorB

I Won't be buying a PS4 or an Xbox One for at least 3 to 4 years time. My PS3 is doing me just fine.

Glad someone has the same view as me, I didn't think there were people that felt this way. I still have my original white Xbox 360 and won't be buying a new console. I rarely ever go on my Xbox anymore anyway but I would still never consider buying the new consoles because my current one works fine, I don't care about graphics and therefore it's a waste of money in my opinion.

It's all down to getting the latest gadget I think which disgusts me, same with phones. A measly Samsung Galaxy Y will do me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I've never struggled to afford it. I just blew £1200 on a new gaming PC too because I don't like any of the next gen consoles.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Focus on your studies.

or better yet, read the quran, and become a muslim!
Original post by Ruffiio
Glad someone has the same view as me, I didn't think there were people that felt this way. I still have my original white Xbox 360 and won't be buying a new console. I rarely ever go on my Xbox anymore anyway but I would still never consider buying the new consoles because my current one works fine, I don't care about graphics and therefore it's a waste of money in my opinion.

It's all down to getting the latest gadget I think which disgusts me, same with phones. A measly Samsung Galaxy Y will do me.

Same, though I have a PC and not a console (but I have a PS2 for nostalgia). If I like a multi-platform title well enough (and one of them is GTA V which is yet to be released for PC), I'd buy it. But for me to get a console, it has to have a good amount of exclusives. I missed a whole generation of exclusives so I'll be satisfied with a PS3 and an Xbox 360 way before I get the latest consoles (which won't be latest anymore).
Reply 19

Even next gen consoles are around £350-450 mark. Games can cost anywhere up to £55. The average age of a gamer is increasing to around 27-32. Alongside online play costing ££££.

Is this going to be a trend?

Many of my friends don't even have a ps4/xbox one yet and in comparison to launches of xbox 360/ps2 etc.

Streets of Rage 3, released in 1994, cost £70; which adjusted for inflation, equals £120 in modern currency. Gaming has always been a luxury.

Quick Reply

Latest