The Student Room Group

Target Uni's

Scroll to see replies

Your university is just a signalling tool, if you're at a top 10/15 university you've got bigger things to worry about. There is a need to stop over-estimating the importance of the university. I'm at LSE, on the L100 course, I'd assume pretty much 80% are applying to SWs but the representation at actual SWs from LSE will be no where close to that figure. Typically, the strongest candidates go the best university. It's really that simple. At LSE, almost everyone is applying for SWs/law whilst my friends at Leeds tell me the summer trip to Malia or who ****ed who last night is the hottest topic of conversation. Most people at non-targets simply are not focused either or not interested enough.

I'm at LSE and there are a hatful of dunces here who've got no chance of getting near front office roles.
Reply 21
What courses are these people doing who are being recruited? Am I being stupid here by presuming they do maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackThommo
What courses are these people doing who are being recruited? Am I being stupid here by presuming they do maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you're being stupid.
Original post by JackThommo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most do Economics. But you can pretty much break in from any subject as long as you do everything else that is required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MAINE.
If every university is a target, then no university is a target.

Talking about target unis for MO & BO roles is effectively pointless, because w.r.t. university there are no real barriers to entry for MO & BO roles. The term target unis only has meaning w.r.t FO roles - and I'm sorry to say, but by and large Bath is not a target university for FO.

OP, Edinburgh gets enough into the industry year on year that it would appear that going to Edinburgh is statistically significant to your chances of getting into IB, relative to lower ranked unis. However, it is nowhere as strongly as targeted as the Top 6 mentioned above. Would say Edinburgh lies at the lower end of the semi-target group (eg. Durham, KCL, Bristol, Notts, etc).

http://www.gradnav.com/programmes/derivatives-research-ubs-intern

If this doesnt show that Bath is a target for UBS, i dont know what will....
Reply 25
Original post by PrincePauper

http://www.gradnav.com/programmes/derivatives-research-ubs-intern

If this doesnt show that Bath is a target for UBS, i dont know what will....

Looks like a hyped-up middle office role to me...no way they are going to let a student run any sort of trades during a 6 month placement.
Original post by Part A
Looks like a hyped-up middle office role to me...no way they are going to let a student run any sort of trades during a 6 month placement.

1) where did you gather that is a "hyped up" MO role from the info given
2) then you may as well imply that all internships are MO-BO. Getting nandos for traders and working on useless projects isnt exactly FO is it?
3) bravo, no internship lets you run trades without passing exams....
Reply 27
1) where did you gather that is a "hyped up" MO role from the info given
2) then you may as well imply that all internships are MO-BO. Getting nandos for traders and working on useless projects isnt exactly FO is it?
3) bravo, no internship lets you run trades without passing exams....

Doesn't take a genius to work out it's likely just a trader support role at best, I was responding to your claim that Bath is a target uni. It isn't... no because if a student got a summer internship in trading, their role would probably be more shadowing/learning based i.e. they're working in the front office, albeit with little responsibility.

From first-hand experience, I know a fair few banks offer these placements to Bath students (Nomura & UBS being the two that stand out from recollection) but upon further research, all they're doing is serving as a cheap source of labour for the bank's support functions. Just to repeat, Bath is not a target. A good uni nevertheless.
Original post by Part A
Doesn't take a genius to work out it's likely just a trader support role at best, I was responding to your claim that Bath is a target uni. It isn't... no because if a student got a summer internship in trading, their role would probably be more shadowing/learning based i.e. they're working in the front office, albeit with little responsibility.

From first-hand experience, I know a fair few banks offer these placements to Bath students (Nomura & UBS being the two that stand out from recollection) but upon further research, all they're doing is serving as a cheap source of labour for the bank's support functions. Just to repeat, Bath is not a target. A good uni nevertheless.

For the bold, what do you think an internship in FO sales and trading entails?? Of course youre only supporting. What did/do you expect to do??

For the second paragraph, I'm sorry but if a bank actively recruits from a university and even creates a program/scheme where only applicants from that/those universities can apply to, then its obvious that the university is a "feeder" and the bank sees it as a target for that program. UBS sees Bath as a target.
Reply 29
For the bold, what do you think an internship in FO sales and trading entails?? Of course youre only supporting. What did/do you expect to do??

For the second paragraph, I'm sorry but if a bank actively recruits from a university and even creates a program/scheme where only applicants from that/those universities can apply to, then its obvious that the university is a "feeder" and the bank sees it as a target for that program. UBS sees Bath as a target.

Is it really that hard to understand?

SUPPLY: A significant number of courses at Bath have compulsory industrial placements, compared to uni's like Oxbridge and LSE where industrial placements are rarely heard of.

DEMAND: UBS and other banks have a large number of trader/sales support roles (middle office) which they need to fill for a period of time, typically 6-12 months. Obviously they want to hire the students from the best uni's possible but they can't recruit from the typical target uni's; they look to the second tier of uni's (Notts, Bath, Bristol) and that's where they recruit students on industrial placements.

In that sense, Bath is a target for banks looking for industrial placement students but not for general/grad recruiting purposes.
Original post by Part A
Is it really that hard to understand?

SUPPLY: A significant number of courses at Bath have compulsory industrial placements, compared to uni's like Oxbridge and LSE where industrial placements are rarely heard of.

DEMAND: UBS and other banks have a large number of trader/sales support roles (middle office) which they need to fill for a period of time, typically 6-12 months. Obviously they want to hire the students from the best uni's possible but they can't recruit from the typical target uni's; they look to the second tier of uni's (Notts, Bath, Bristol) and that's where they recruit students on industrial placements.

In that sense, Bath is a target for banks looking for industrial placement students but not for general/grad recruiting purposes.

SUPPLY: There is never a lack of applicants for industrial placements as there is always an overflow of EU students. The french and italian for example have a different academic system to the uk allowing them to participate in off cycles and industrial placements. UBS doesnt really have to create a scheme to make sure it has enough candidates: that isnt the problem.

DEMAND: Due to the above they can still recruit from top EU universities and not downgrade to second tier unis

I asked you what you thought an internship in sales and trading entailed...

I think youre defending a point which you seem not to understand/ appreciate too well.

good night, take care
Reply 31
SUPPLY: There is never a lack of applicants for industrial placements as there is always an overflow of EU students. The french and italian for example have a different academic system to the uk allowing them to participate in off cycles and industrial placements. UBS doesnt really have to create a scheme to make sure it has enough candidates: that isnt the problem.

DEMAND: Due to the above they can still recruit from top EU universities and not downgrade to second tier unis

I asked you what you thought an internship in sales and trading entailed...

I think youre defending a point which you seem not to understand/ appreciate too well.

good night, take care

Why would banks go to all the trouble of hiring and recruiting EU students when they can just hire students from over here? Bath is a strong uni and typically produces good quality applicants, they really don't need to go all of that trouble to recruit from abroad for middle office roles. The fact they have a dedicated scheme is probably due to the huge number of Bath students looking for industrial placements, it's just an easier way to recruit each year as they know they'll get tons of Bath students applying.

An internship in sales and trading: shadowing salespeople/traders, learning more about the bank and it's functions, learning more about the specific products the bank is selling, doing mock games based around trading and selling. That good enough?

Yeah cheers - I've been to a fair few insight programmes and spoken to over a dozen uni students who've interned at these banks over the summer, I think I have a good idea of what goes on...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending