The Student Room Group

Would Uni's accept this?

I originally started College in 2012/13, but due to personal problems and problems with teachers, I got bad AS grades. (2U's, E, D :s-smilie:)

I this year out to sort out my personal problems, which I have done. So now I want to continue my studies. But I'll be 18 when I start the first year of my two year course and 19 starting the second year, 20 when I finish. I believe at 19 you have to pay because it stops being free after 18 right? Funnily enough, I kind of don't have around £3,000 lying around.

I saw that the College has these 90 Credit Level 3 BTECs which for the first year are equivalent to 1.5 A Levels and at D*D* grade are worth 210 UCAS points. So hypothetically, if I were to get D*D* in both, I would have 420 UCAS points right? They offer them in the courses I'm interested in, which is great.
But I have some questions about them.

1) First question should be, would Uni's even accept these? I assume completion of two would be equivalent to 3 A Levels since completing a year is equivalent to 1.5 A Levels.
2) Would I even be allowed to study two BTECs alongside each other?
3) Would Universities look down on these, I know they favour A Levels over BTECs already, but would I be at an even less disadvantage? I'm not expecting Cambridge to come chasing me up or anything.

Sorry that there are so many questions throughout, I'm just really confused and I've been contacting Admissions for the College back and fourth, but they're a little slow and it's the weekend now. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks!

Edit* - I think I put this in the wrong place didn't I? D:
(edited 10 years ago)
You'll need to talk to your local college about funding. Your best bet may be to look at a 2 year extended diploma. If you enrol on this when you are 18 then you should be able to get both years free. The 90 credit one would be an option, but it's unlikely that the college will let you do more than one of these in a year, as it is equivalent to studying for 3 AS levels.

Universities will accept these - but obviously not every uni for every course, so do your research before you commit.

Quick Reply

Latest