The Student Room Group

left foot braking

anyone else do it?

if so, is your car auto/manual ??

thanks, I never realised I was in the minority until people ask me why I use the left foot to brake (even in manuals)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm assuming you just read/watched something saying that's how racing drivers do it, and you think it's cool to tell people you do it too.

:banana2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maccees
I'm assuming you just read/watched something saying that's how racing drivers do it, and because you pwn n00bs in your Passat you think it's cool to tell people you do it too.

:banana2:

Lol, OP doesn't isn't the Passat owner, you're confusing him with traintracks1995.

@OP driving with two feet is lame, you're gonna cause an accident. I hope you don't live near me.
43669927.jpg
Reply 4
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Lol, OP doesn't isn't the Passat owner, you're confusing him with traintracks1995.

@OP driving with two feet is lame, you're gonna cause an accident. I hope you don't live near me.

this is what I don't get .. people say it's dangerous, i don't get why

I drive autos most of the time, and braking with right for me feels unnatural, two pedals, two feet

I am not exactly going to slam on the brakes thinking it's a clutch
Reply 5

:colondollar: They're all merging into one big hunk of BS haha. I remember, this is the guy getting the BMW in a few days to add to all the other cars he has...
Reply 6
Original post by Maccees
:colondollar: They're all merging into one big hunk of BS haha. I remember, this is the guy getting the BMW in a few days to add to all the other cars he has...

I only have one car

I have posted joke cars on the thread as another user was at the time

I use family members cars one and then (moving it out of a driveway or going less than 1 mile in them)
Reply 7
Despite being an immaculate driver, attempting left foot braking is like driving straight into a brick wall. I just completely lack the muscle memory to do it. I honestly don't see the benefit in a manual as I'm using my left for the clutch.
Reply 8
Original post by SillyEddy
Despite being an immaculate driver, attempting left foot braking is like driving straight into a brick wall. I just completely lack the muscle memory to do it. I honestly don't see the benefit in a manual as I'm using my left for the clutch.

this is my point and why I asked about transmission

I've played far too many arcade games with just two pedals, I know it's not real life driving but I've learnt left=brake for like 10 years lol

driving is not 'natural' just something you learn, i only used right foot in test as due to pressing left foot in many games, thats what i associate with stopping

wondered if other automatic drivers did that
Original post by Maccees

Haha. :biggrin:
Left foot breaking is stupid and way too much hassle especially on a manual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like to spice things up when I drive. I even use my right foot to control the clutch and left to control the accelerator. Makes for a nice and comfortable crosslegged drive.
Reply 12
I steer with my knees.

Is this normal?
I don't brake, I just slam my foot on the clutch, hurl the gear stick into reverse and let the grinding gears do the braking for me. Is that normal?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Greenlaner
I don't break, I just slam my foot on the clutch, hurl the gear stick into reverse and let the grinding gears do the breaking for me. Is that normal?

*brake ...
Original post by jusdorange
*brake ...

Not my fault, I have the flu atm. Brain is not running at full capacity.
I don't.

I didn't think anybody would do that in a manual.

Rally drivers do it. If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. Providing you get your left foot used to the sensitivity of the brake pedal then there is no harm in doing so.
Reply 18
Original post by traintracks1995
Rally drivers do it. If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. Providing you get your left foot used to the sensitivity of the brake pedal then there is no harm in doing so.

this.

As mentioned earlier driving is learnt, so what does it matter?

I mean even for right footers do you ever get the brake / accelerator mixed up? So why would you suddenly assume you will forget you are braking and slam it like a clutch ??
Original post by traintracks1995

Original post by jusdorange

this.

As mentioned earlier driving is learnt, so what does it matter?

I mean even for right footers do you ever get the brake / accelerator mixed up? So why would you suddenly assume you will forget you are braking and slam it like a clutch ??

How sweet, you two should get married.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending