The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
TomZT
People should watch "Super Size Me" by Morgan Spurlock.
I have...it doesn't put me off eating at McDonalds. Of course you'll put on weight if you eat it morning, noon and night for a month, but if you only have it once in a while then there's nothing wrong with that. It's a bit like how dieting people look at chocolate or pizza like they're the spawn of Satan, but (dark) chocolate actually isn't that fattening (it's things like milk solids and cocoa butter added to lighter chocolate that make THEM fatty - chocolate with a high cocoa solids content (75%+) tastes a bit bitter but isn't anywhere near as unhealthy as Cadburys milk chocolate (which has around 20% cocoa solids)), and pizza can still be a part of a balanced diet :smile:
Dalimyr
I have...it doesn't put me off eating at McDonalds. Of course you'll put on weight if you eat it morning, noon and night for a month, but if you only have it once in a while then there's nothing wrong with that. It's a bit like how dieting people look at chocolate or pizza like they're the spawn of Satan, but (dark) chocolate actually isn't that fattening (it's things like milk solids and cocoa butter added to lighter chocolate that make THEM fatty - chocolate with a high cocoa solids content (75%+) tastes a bit bitter but isn't anywhere near as unhealthy as Cadburys milk chocolate (which has around 20% cocoa solids)), and pizza can still be a part of a balanced diet :smile:

It is not just the weight gain aspect of eating McDonalds it is all the stuff that they put in their burgers that nobody would actually want to eat if they knew what it was and what it actually looked like in its pure form.
Reply 62
creepy1986
[*]The fat that ALL Deep fried products are cooked in is Vegetable Oilparts of the cow (which i believe is the top of the leg and the belly area.
Vegetable oilfat of the cow? A little oxymoron there, or McDonalds trying to kid themselves of something.
[*]The burgers have NO ADDED FAT, they are grilled in their own fat which is the same content as the stuff you buy from Morrisons.
And a floor manager weould know this? Methinks you'd have to work making the burgers to find this out.
[*]ALL Chicken McDonald's uses is 100% breast. Nothing else.
Pah, now you're just beginning to regurgitate the adverts :rolleyes:. Who, for a minute, actually believes that only chicken breast is used? Low grade quality chicken at that.

Wow, so McDonalds are putting promotions people on the Internet now are they?
Reply 63
I mis-edited the post. It was meant to say the fryed stuff is cooked in vegetable oil. I was meant to add the the last bit to the end of where the beef comes from.

Anyway, please back up your information with fact. I have been to the factory where the chicken is processed, it is 100% chicken breast. Go rip open a nugget and see for yourself.

Lol - I'm sorry i don't quite understand your second point. Yes i am a floor manager, i am in charge of either the Kitchen or the Front counter. I observe everyone who makes the burgers to ensure quality is to the standards set. Of course i cook the burgers, i am the final point of contact before the food is served. If it is not right, i bin it.

Seeing as though everyone knows that McDonalds uses rubbish meat, please point me to ONE single piece of evidence that in the last 4 years (which is how long i've been employed there) they have used "crap" meat.

You know the meat you buy at Morrisons from the butcher? It's the exact same meat McDonald's use in their burgers.

Referring to Supersize Me : If you ate Barbeques for three meals a day it for a month it would make you ill. If you ate Kebabs for every meal for a month it would make you ill.

Sinze Supersize me, my store's gross sales have increased by 14%. Now 14% of 2million pound turn over P.A is a lot of money. It gives me more hours and ensures i get my nice pay packet which provides my savings for university :smile:

I think the reason people slate McDonald's so much is Jealousy. You are clueless to how the food is made/what it contains so you just make
stuff up. I mean hell, i'm Jealous of a company as rich as McDonalds.

It makes me laugh how people can not back up their information with factual evidence.

I'll say it again, i don't care about people slating McDonald's. But have your facts right first.
Burger King... Obviously.
Reply 65
dont forget though that sometimes, when you're out with some friends, and you don't have much money, a burger king or mcD is really handy. Burger king burgers are good, at least they dont taste like they're full of fat like the McD ones do.
Reply 66
creepy1986
I mis-edited the post. It was meant to say the fryed stuff is cooked in vegetable oil. I was meant to add the the last bit to the end of where the beef comes from.

Anyway, please back up your information with fact. I have been to the factory where the chicken is processed, it is 100% chicken breast. Go rip open a nugget and see for yourself.

Lol - I'm sorry i don't quite understand your second point. Yes i am a floor manager, i am in charge of either the Kitchen or the Front counter. I observe everyone who makes the burgers to ensure quality is to the standards set. Of course i cook the burgers, i am the final point of contact before the food is served. If it is not right, i bin it.

Seeing as though everyone knows that McDonalds uses rubbish meat, please point me to ONE single piece of evidence that in the last 4 years (which is how long i've been employed there) they have used "crap" meat.

You know the meat you buy at Morrisons from the butcher? It's the exact same meat McDonald's use in their burgers.

Referring to Supersize Me : If you ate Barbeques for three meals a day it for a month it would make you ill. If you ate Kebabs for every meal for a month it would make you ill.

Sinze Supersize me, my store's gross sales have increased by 14%. Now 14% of 2million pound turn over P.A is a lot of money. It gives me more hours and ensures i get my nice pay packet which provides my savings for university :smile:

I think the reason people slate McDonald's so much is Jealousy. You are clueless to how the food is made/what it contains so you just make

It makes me laugh how people can not back up their information with factual evidence.

I'll say it again, i don't care about people slating McDonald's. But have your facts right first.

Obviously :rolleyes:
Neither- other, I am a vegetarian but would still not eat their vegetarian food. I'd rather not say 'I'm against evil corporations' because I'm not against all successful businesses. I avoid McDonalds and Burger King because they obviously supply meat from animals kept in awful conditions, but I don't boycott all supermarkets for doing the same. Also their food is unhealthy and directly marketed at children- heart disease with a free toy- buy so is most chocolate and I still (ashamedly) eat that.
I think McDonalds and Burger King are easy to avoid because they stand out as big immoral businesses, whereas other businesses might be equally evil (i.e. most high-street clothes shops use sweat-shop labour with crappy working conditions, most pharmaceuticals and beauty products are tested on animals, most food is bad for you in some way!) but aren't as well (or badly) publicised.
Its funny to see the brand loyalty in these posts as well, as if by insulting McDonalds someone is insulting a family member. Can't fault them on their marketing, even though they're available all over the world and you've really got no guarantees that they sell a good quality product, people will recognise the golden arches anywhere in the world and feel 'at home'.
Let us not forget KFC for genetically mutating its chickens...
Reply 69
creepy1986
Because they'll definitely show you if other crap is added, won't they. :rolleyes: And anyway, it's pretty hard to physically see a preservative or other crap.
I was talking about
the actual production of burgers.
I'll point you to a book called Fast Food Nation. All in there.
Which is why I don't eat meat.

:confused: Now how does jealous come into this?
McDonalds...all the way...!!
Reply 71
Now how does jealous come into this?

Jealousy makes people slate the things/people they are jealous of. Human Nature.

I'll point you to a book called Fast Food Nation. All in there.

I said in the past 4 years. McDonalds has changed their food substantially since the book was printed (January 2001.) The book is 5 years out dated, lots can change in 5 years.

Which is why I don't eat meat.

Explains the hatred a little, i don't know or care why you are a vegetarian. But i'm sure you have your reasons. I'm sure as you know meat is a very good source of nutrients which is why i do eat meat. I'll always eat meat not only does it taste nice but it's human nature. The cave men hunted deer and rabbits for a reason.
Reply 72
Neither, I can't decide which sometimes! Though I prefer Burger King's chips as they're crunchy and not soggy :p:
McDonalds is so good, I love it. I am rather partial to burger king chips however, although I don't really like the burgers.
I dont always believe what PETA like to shove down poeples throats about how bad it is for you, if it was that bad then they would have been closed down many years ago.
Reply 74
FireDeuce
McDonalds is so good, I love it. I am rather partial to burger king chips however, although I don't really like the burgers.
I dont always believe what PETA like to shove down poeples throats about how bad it is for you, if it was that bad then they would have been closed down many years ago.

I don't know anything about PETA. The food served at McDonalds simply does not appeal to me. I'd rather go to my local Greek/Italian/French restaurant. And for what you get McDonalds is really quite expensive.
BellaCat
I don't know anything about PETA. The food served at McDonalds simply does not appeal to me. I'd rather go to my local Greek/Italian/French restaurant. And for what you get McDonalds is really quite expensive.

£5 for a tasty meal which fills you up all night seems fair enough to me.
PATHETIC!

You're all so sad.

"Oh, if I say I eat at Mcdonald's on the odd occasion, people will think i'm a stupid fat idiot"

"I'm so ****ing healthy"

To answer the initial question, I prefer McDonalds. I eat it perhaps three times a month max. In the meantime I eat a very healthey diet.

All things in moderation and all that jazz.

I know the majority of people on this website are geeks, i'm not, i'm frickin cool, but you really do give students a bad name.

No wonder the thicko's think we're boring.
yeh a french/greek/italian restauraunt is good but its way more expensive, im sure its way over a tenner altho the last time i went to one of them was last year cus i jst cant afford it, mcdonalds and burgerking are great for cheap snacks, especially if ur out anyway shoppin or whatever and u get peckish, not sayin they r healthy but in moderation they are ok, you could buy a healthy sandwich from tesco but where can u eat it?? stand outside??

that reminds me i bought a good for u chicken sanwich from tesco the other day it was vile lol was dry and blehh, was £1.60!!!!!!!! cud get 2 burgers for that and not end up with a mouth like ghandis flip flop, they are scared to put any butter or mayo on it i swear!
Yeah, I'm not particularly partial to packet chicken sandwiches either. If you buy a packet sandwich, always plump for prawn mayo- it disguises the sahara-like texture a treat.
I love McDonalds!! The 'Mickey Ds' (which is the largest McDonalds) in Florida does really nice pasta dishes and my dads obsessed with the Ravioli. Im going on 21st again and cant wait to get back to my favourite McDonalds!!

Latest