The Student Room Group

Decisions, Decisions!

Hey guys! Hope you're all having a good day! ^^

I've been having a lot of changes of heart recently in what I want to do at university; at first I was desperate to do Maths, then I got interested in Engineering (two of my brothers did Mech. and Aero. at Uni), then I switched to being set on Physics, then Computing, then back to Maths, et cetera. I've recently become interested in JMC (Joint Maths and Computing) at Imperial. It looks like an awesome mash-up of two subjects I'm really into (and not too bad at, if I do say so myself :3), that'll be really useful in getting a job what with the "apps" boom at the moment, and computers becoming ever-more-integral parts of our daily lives.

I'd like to know your guys opinions on what the most useful (from a "getting a job" perspective) degree would be, out of:
Maths; Physics; JMC; Engineering.

I do realise that potential enjoyment and attainment should be the most important factors in deciding which course to choose, but it's getting tougher and tougher to find a job out there in the big, wide world. :frown:

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions and advice.
Have a nice evening!
Bump.
Bump 2.0; not sure why the 80 or so people who've seen this haven't replied. Maybe I've gone against some secret part of TSR etiquette and piss'd people off. :biggrin:
Original post by StrangeBanana

I do realise that potential enjoyment and attainment should be the most important factors in deciding which course to choose

It isnt.

The most important thing is to choose a subject that you are passionate about doing for three whole years. Because without that, your enthusiasm and energy for your course will be nowhere - and your chance of getting a 2.1 or a First, or even completing the course, will be seriously compromised.

You cannot sustain three years of hard study doing a subject you arent actually that committed to just 'for the salary' - especially when there is no job guaranteed at the end of it.
Original post by returnmigrant
You cannot sustain three years of hard study doing a subject you arent actually that committed to just 'for the salary' - especially when there is no job guaranteed at the end of it.

I'm not in it "just for the salary"; that's why I said enjoying the course (academically, that is) is the most important thing. Can you please answer my question instead of lecturing me on what the "right" reasons for studying at Uni are? I understand that being passionate about the course is important, but I want to maximise my chances at getting a job, and being stable, in future. Is that too much to ask?
Hmm, I'd say that generally either engineering or JMC will have better prospects since they both include a significantly applied portion in them, but it also depends on what exactly it is you want to do after university.Ultimately you, along with almost everyone else, are being asked to decide what you want to do before you actually have any experience of doing ... well ... anything, which is a bit of a bummer, but you've just got to make the best of a bad situation.

I did mech eng at uni and would recommend it if you're a practically minded person who likes designing and making "things" and systems. I was almost about to do computer science but decided not to as it turned out I had absolutely no interest in programming. I never had any interest in studying either maths or physics at degree level.
Thanks, Smack! ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending