The Student Room Group

Pain during sex (female)

So basically i started seeing my new parter around august last year and in about november sex started becoming very painful for me internally. There was no change in the way we did anything and id never had it before, even with my previous boyfriend who was 'better endowed'. It has progressively gotten worse and i've been for examinations, ultrasounds, STI tests, operations to test for endometriosis and the doctors have basically said there isn't a lot more they can do, suggesting it may be psychological, however nothing has changed at all which could cause it to start, i havent had a bad experience with sex that would make me nervous or anything.. Its getting to the point now where sex is becoming impossible for me, where as before it was only positions where he could get deep that i had to avoid.. on a few occasions i've collapsed due to the pain and every time we try now i have to ask him to stop. Also, we thought it may be due to me getting nervous about expecting it to hurt which made it worse but every time we try we make sure im really calm and ready before we try. It doesn't seem to have any correlation with my cycle either.. I was just wondering if there were any other girls that experience this and if anyone knows of any solution. While my partner has been so patient with the whole situation it is starting to put a strain on our relationship!

Many Thanks!
Have you changed your contraceptives by any chance? I've had the same partner for a few years now and when we first started going out I was on the implant and everything was great. Then I switched to the injection and sex all of a sudden became unbearably painful, I would turn away with tears streaming down my face hoping he wouldn't notice but he obviously did. Then I got the IUD and everything is good again!
Reply 2
OP, nope, never had that problem before - but I'd suggest to go and see some other, maybe more specialized gynecologists? I don't know what could be the problem; my only guess is it's psychological - as in you believing it will hurt before it does :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So basically i started seeing my new parter around august last year and in about november sex started becoming very painful for me internally. There was no change in the way we did anything and id never had it before, even with my previous boyfriend who was 'better endowed'. It has progressively gotten worse and i've been for examinations, ultrasounds, STI tests, operations to test for endometriosis and the doctors have basically said there isn't a lot more they can do, suggesting it may be psychological, however nothing has changed at all which could cause it to start, i havent had a bad experience with sex that would make me nervous or anything.. Its getting to the point now where sex is becoming impossible for me, where as before it was only positions where he could get deep that i had to avoid.. on a few occasions i've collapsed due to the pain and every time we try now i have to ask him to stop. Also, we thought it may be due to me getting nervous about expecting it to hurt which made it worse but every time we try we make sure im really calm and ready before we try. It doesn't seem to have any correlation with my cycle either.. I was just wondering if there were any other girls that experience this and if anyone knows of any solution. While my partner has been so patient with the whole situation it is starting to put a strain on our relationship!

Many Thanks!

Hi, just wondering, did you ever find out the cause? I'm going through the exact same thing atm, op found nothing and I feel like I'm just being told to live with it :/ Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest