The Student Room Group

Do you have a right to a re-take?

hi,

i'll keep this short and to the point to save boring you

i am doing A2 at the moment. At AS level i did psychology which i got a B in (one raw mark off an A) being so close to getting an A i want to retake one psychology AS exam along with my A2 summer exams.

However my school are holding full on proper mock exams this january and my school are saying that i have to do it if i want to be entered into the real exam in the summer. However i ahev told them that the date of the mock psycho exam is on my 18th birthday and frankly i dont want to remember my 18th birthday as the day that i did a psycho mock exam.

But they say if i dont do it i wont be entered.

So the question is , can i tell them to screw their mock (in more polite ways) as i have a Right to take the retake in the summer anyway. Or do i have to comply to their bull****
cheers
Reply 1
Man up and do the exam.

I have an AS history exam on my 17th and im not going to miss the exam because its by birthday.

It's only TWO HOURS! Thats means you still have 22 hours of your 18th birthday!
Reply 2
sorry to say it, but so what if it is your 18th birthday? Mocks are important and if that's what the school want you to do you should do it, if you don't do it and don't do the retake and do worse than you expected overall will it be worth having a bit of fun? Anyway, you wont be doing the mock all day, it will be what, 1h30? there are lots of people who do mocks or even real exams on their birthday, or who get exam results, but they still do them.

I will admit it is a strange thing that you must do the mock to do the retake but if that is their policy, then that is their policy and you should do it and try your best.
Well the school can do that if they want and tbh if you have a mock on your 18th it shouldn't make a difference. It's 2 hours of your day then you can forget about...

Also yes you are right you do have a right to retake but the school have no obligation to to pay for it if they think you don't have a realistic chance of doing well - which is what I'd guess the mock is for.
Reply 4
Original post by george123m
hi,

i'll keep this short and to the point to save boring you

i am doing A2 at the moment. At AS level i did psychology which i got a B in (one raw mark off an A) being so close to getting an A i want to retake one psychology AS exam along with my A2 summer exams.

However my school are holding full on proper mock exams this january and my school are saying that i have to do it if i want to be entered into the real exam in the summer. However i ahev told them that the date of the mock psycho exam is on my 18th birthday and frankly i dont want to remember my 18th birthday as the day that i did a psycho mock exam.

But they say if i dont do it i wont be entered.

So the question is , can i tell them to screw their mock (in more polite ways) as i have a Right to take the retake in the summer anyway. Or do i have to comply to their bull****
cheers

My tutor told me the mock exams are actually quite important in that the mid year predictions that are sent of to your exam boards are based on your results in this mocks.

Why are your predictions important? Because lets say you get an A in your mock exam for Psychology. If you get 3 grades above/bellow your predicted grade in the real exam in June, then the exam board is forced to remark your work to check for any errors in the marking.
Reply 5
wow there are a lot of school loving kiss asses on here.

but thanks for the replies anyway.
i would be paying for the exam so its not the school paying for it anyway

and well, on my 18th i wanna get smashed a hell for top banter.
i have had exams on my birthday last year for AS and in the year before for GCSEs.

i think im gonna tell them to do one
Reply 6
Original post by cuckoo99
My tutor told me the mock exams are actually quite important in that the mid year predictions that are sent of to your exam boards are based on your results in this mocks.

Why are your predictions important? Because lets say you get an A in your mock exam for Psychology. If you get 3 grades above/bellow your predicted grade in the real exam in June, then the exam board is forced to remark your work to check for any errors in the marking.

im targeted an A, last year i wan one raw mark off an A,, so thats not gonna happen matey
Reply 7
Original post by Spacey368
Man up and do the exam.

I have an AS history exam on my 17th and im not going to miss the exam because its by birthday.

It's only TWO HOURS! Thats means you still have 22 hours of your 18th birthday!

17th bdays dont count for ****
Seeing as my granddad died the day before my 18th birthday this year, a 2 hour Psychology mock is nothing.
Reply 9
Original post by k4l397
Well the school can do that if they want and tbh if you have a mock on your 18th it shouldn't make a difference. It's 2 hours of your day then you can forget about...

Also yes you are right you do have a right to retake but the school have no obligation to to pay for it if they think you don't have a realistic chance of doing well - which is what I'd guess the mock is for.

i have already proved i can do well as i got one mark off an A last year
I pity you. :frown: 18th birthday and you're told to do a mock. I hope you survive your 18th.
Reply 11
first world problems

Quick Reply

Latest