The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jiefei_ma
life in Imperial is full of fun!

Lol, not just the library then huh? :cool: Reckon you could talk the college into renovating the library to include a dance floor and a bar? That would solve problems! :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
jiefei_ma
do you know proper logic?

who told you that "(A)x[ImperialStudent(x) --> nerd(x)] " is premises?

that is a formula need to be established by a given proof system(probably your own one, since i havent found any yet). if it cannot be established(proved) then it is not a theorem.

You're talking about two different forms of logic. Gnostic is more arts based, yours is mathematical.
Reply 22
TheWolf
engineering = nerd
engineering - nerd =0

so if you do engineering and not be a nerd youare 0

mmm.. :confused:

i am impressed :biggrin:

how can you deduce "you are 0" from your given and assumptions?
Reply 23
Mysticmin
You're talking about two different forms of logic. Gnostic is more arts based, yours is mathematical.

|- he is an nerd.

is it arts-based enough? and what is the point?
Reply 24
jiefei_ma
|- he is an nerd.

is it arts-based enough? and what is the point?

I agree with you unfortunately, I'm more of a mathematical person myself. Arts is like...well law i guess, backing up your original hypothesis with examples that support it.

It's not a bad form of logic, but with mathematics, once the proof has been formed there is little dispute.

You cannot prove something like nerdiness unless you use both forms though :biggrin:
Reply 25
jiefei_ma
i am impressed :biggrin:

how can you deduce "you are 0" from your given and assumptions?

look m8 my equation is just as good as urs :wink:
Reply 26
Mysticmin

You cannot prove something like nerdiness unless you use both forms though :biggrin:

no, you cannot, even though you use both "forms" :frown:
Reply 27
jiefei_ma
no, you cannot, even though you use both "forms" :frown:

You can if you can quantify nerdiness using a standardised scale like the Intelligence quota tests. Hey we could have NQs (nerdiness quotas) as well as IQs.

Then you could investigate the correlation between how mathematical a degree is, and the nerdiness of the people doing the degree.

Ok - I'm getting carried away, someone stop me.
Reply 28
TheWolf
look m8 my equation is just as good as urs :wink:

:biggrin: no, your "if..then.." is weird.. why dont you check it again? :wink:
Reply 29
Frequently presented with a number added. Nerd Level is a way of quantifying nerdiness, measured in social outcast tiers.

Essentially, most people you would meet are level 0 nerds. The people they feel uncomfortable around due to excessive nerdiness are level 1 nerds. The level 1 nerds feel uncomfortable around nerds of 2nd or higher level, etc.
Reply 30
Mysticmin

Then you could investigate the correlation between how mathematical a degree is, and the nerdiness of the people doing the degree.

interesting..but how?
ReturnofGnostic
Logic is not concerned with investigating the truth of premises, only whether statements can legitametly follow from given premises.

You are the Queen of all Philosophy Nerds.
You also don't seem to be able to spell everyday words like "legitimately". And for someone who's clearly so highly educated, that shocks me.
Reply 32
jiefei_ma
interesting..but how?

You'd have to invent standardised scales for the nerdiness quota. So instead of sitting a test like for IQ, they'd have to fill in a questionnaire.

Then you record down their degree, and classify how mathematical their degree is by the highest 'level' of mathematics involved i guess (so highest would be maths, followed by physics/engineering/AI...right down to english).

It's not going to be very accurate, this investigation is it? Any ideas on how to refine it? I should do a PHd thesis on this :rolleyes:

HAHA, how social science is this?
Reply 33
Mysticmin

It's not going to be very accurate, this investigation is it? Any ideas on how to refine it? I should do a PHd thesis on this :rolleyes:

yes, definitely
Reply 34
:smile: Yup, after my media studies BA.
Reply 35
Mysticmin
:smile: Yup, after my media studies BA.

umm....

but the problem is, you have to find a supervisor for it.
Reply 36
jiefei_ma
umm....

but the problem is, you have to find a supervisor for it.

Yeah I'll find a professor of media studies.

I'm kidding, no way am I going to do this as a PHd, I'm only 17, I haven't even started uni yet.
Reply 37
Mysticmin
Yeah I'll find a professor of media studies.

I'm kidding, no way am I going to do this as a PHd, I'm only 17, I haven't even started uni yet.

there is a chinese boy finished his maths degree when he was 13. :eek:

so it is also possible for you to do a PhD thongh you are only 17 :biggrin:
jiefei_ma
there is a chinese boy finished his maths degree when he was 13. :eek:

so it is also possible for you to do a PhD thongh you are only 17 :biggrin:

Seriously, man these chinese... hrd tht many uniz like Warwick n all r crowded with chinese... studyin 24/7.... is it seriously like tht????
ReturnofGnostic
Allow me to lean towards your ear, dear child, and I shall whisper to you a profound mystery that has afflicted even the best of men: "it was a t-y-p-o".

The typo is reserved solely for the lesser form of man.

Latest

Trending

Trending