The Student Room Group

Imperial College MSc Finance / Finance & Accounting Applicants 2014-2015

Hi all,

Just thought I would start a thread for applicants to the MSc Finance or Finance & Accounting course at Imperial to keep each other updated about applications, responses, etc.

Anyone here apply yet?

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, i've applied as well for MSc finance at Imperial.

Applied back at end of November, 2nd reference was received 2 weeks ago. Still havent heard back.

Might be useful if we post our profiles etc, just so we have an idea of what other applicants are like

BSc Accounting and Finance at Bath (2:1 - low 2:1 that is, lol)

GMAT 710 - 48Q

CFA L2 complete

1.5 years work experience at KPMG audit.
Reply 2
Original post by PZamp
Hey, i've applied as well for MSc finance at Imperial.

Applied back at end of November, 2nd reference was received 2 weeks ago. Still havent heard back.

Might be useful if we post our profiles etc, just so we have an idea of what other applicants are like

BSc Accounting and Finance at Bath (2:1 - low 2:1 that is, lol)

GMAT 710 - 48Q

CFA L2 complete

1.5 years work experience at KPMG audit.

Hey PZamp,

Thanks for posting, good luck with your app!

I applied last week for the MSc Finance course. Background is BSc Economics (currently with a 1:1) at a highly ranked uni, final year student in undergrad, no GMAT, and internship in a FO role.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey,

I havent applied yet but was wandering how long your personal statements were?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by bran92
Hey,

I havent applied yet but was wandering how long your personal statements were?

Thanks

according to the application instructions, it should be between 1-2 pages. I think ideally, you would keep it to 1, but in my case i went to 1.5. i hope its not a big deal.
Reply 5
I applied to msc finance and accounting two weeks ago. Still waiting for my referees to upload their letters.
GPA 3,72/4 from stockholm university
6 month work experience
no gmat

Good luck everyone:smile:
Reply 6
Application will be in by the end of the week.

Canadian
3.3/4.0 Science Undergrad
3.9/4.3 Master of International Business

4 months PWM work experience
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Lol, looks like no one else bothered to go for gmat? myself, i wasnt sure if my degree was really quantitative enough, although i did have some math/stats modules.

anyway, good luck to everyone!
Reply 8
I actually wrote the GMAT for my current degree, but only got a 680 so I don't think I'm going to submit the score.
Reply 9
Just one major concern I have - if anyone is willing to give any input, it would be appreciated.

As mentioned above, my uni result is not exactly the most impressive. It is a 2.1, and a low one at that (62%). Do you think imperial really cares whether its high/low 2.1, or would you think, just get a 2.1 and that's the end of it.

I did do my Acc/Fin degree at Bath, which is usually ranked with lse and warwick as a top 3 in the UK. Would this perhaps alleviate some of my concerns?

I think whats most disconcerting is that my yr 1, yr 2, yr 3 grades show a very steady decline (71% --> 65% --> 60%), which might come across to them as lack of dedication/laziness.

On the other hand, my math/stats modules were all high 2.1/first, as well as my econ modules. My lowest grades were in subjects like Organizational behavior etc....stuff which I hope Imperial will not weight too heavily.

Im hoping having done CFA L2 while working full time will remove doubt about commitmnent, and that my gmat will remove doubts about academic abillity (and i meet the minimum requirement for the Q score)...but i have to admit, after almost 4 weeks of waiting, im getting a bit nervous :/

Thanks
Reply 10
I can't speak to the marks, as I'm not familiar with the British grading system at all, but I would say that your GMAT score/CFA completion would attest to your quantitative skills quite well. And the fact that you have CFA level 2 would seem to be a definite plus in my mind.

After speaking with the admissions team, I got the impression that work experience is pretty valued, so your KPMG experience should help you stand out.

I think from the sounds of it you have a good application, just might have to wait until after the first deadline to hear anything back.

Best of luck!

Original post by PZamp
Just one major concern I have - if anyone is willing to give any input, it would be appreciated.

As mentioned above, my uni result is not exactly the most impressive. It is a 2.1, and a low one at that (62%). Do you think imperial really cares whether its high/low 2.1, or would you think, just get a 2.1 and that's the end of it.

I did do my Acc/Fin degree at Bath, which is usually ranked with lse and warwick as a top 3 in the UK. Would this perhaps alleviate some of my concerns?

I think whats most disconcerting is that my yr 1, yr 2, yr 3 grades show a very steady decline (71% --> 65% --> 60%), which might come across to them as lack of dedication/laziness.

On the other hand, my math/stats modules were all high 2.1/first, as well as my econ modules. My lowest grades were in subjects like Organizational behavior etc....stuff which I hope Imperial will not weight too heavily.

Im hoping having done CFA L2 while working full time will remove doubt about commitmnent, and that my gmat will remove doubts about academic abillity (and i meet the minimum requirement for the Q score)...but i have to admit, after almost 4 weeks of waiting, im getting a bit nervous :/

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by gbpackfan
I can't speak to the marks, as I'm not familiar with the British grading system at all, but I would say that your GMAT score/CFA completion would attest to your quantitative skills quite well. And the fact that you have CFA level 2 would seem to be a definite plus in my mind.

After speaking with the admissions team, I got the impression that work experience is pretty valued, so your KPMG experience should help you stand out.

I think from the sounds of it you have a good application, just might have to wait until after the first deadline to hear anything back.

Best of luck!

hey gbpack, thanks.

i take it you're american? i dont believe theres really an accurate conversion system, but a british 2.1 ranges from about 3.3-3.7 i believe. As im on the lower end of the scale..i'd be safe and call my grade a 3.3

id agree work exp is a +, but audit is only slighty related, although just experience in general should count for something.

p.s - are you a packers fan?
Reply 12
Original post by PZamp
hey gbpack, thanks.

i take it you're american? i dont believe theres really an accurate conversion system, but a british 2.1 ranges from about 3.3-3.7 i believe. As im on the lower end of the scale..i'd be safe and call my grade a 3.3

id agree work exp is a +, but audit is only slighty related, although just experience in general should count for something.

p.s - are you a packers fan?

I'm a Canadian actually!

Yeah the conversion thing was odd for me, but given that I have a 3.3 in chem, when speaking with admissions they said that meets their benchmark, so if that's the lower end I guess you will be okay?

I am a Packers fan, unfortunately without Rodgers we've been rubbish, hopefully we can sneak into the playoffs.
Reply 13
Does anybody know something about the new expected intake?

It states that it is 80.

A 2013 class of 220 was indicated till the last week.
Reply 14
Original post by DreamingWL

It states that it is 80.

I noticed that as well for the MSc Finance course. I would probably guess it has to do with the introduction of multiple new courses this year. Less students may be applying to the MSc Finance course and instead apply to the F&A and I&WM courses. Perhaps they're also focusing on making the course more intimate.
Reply 15
what was your offer everyone ???
Reply 16
Original post by DreamingWL

It states that it is 80.

Im really hoping this is some kind of bug... it looks to me like the Expected Intake is 80, exactly the same as the two new courses. Meanwhile, the other existing course, RMFE, is still showing its Current amount instead of an expected intake.

In my opinion, if they did change it to 80, thats really unfair, because they could have at least indicated to those of us who applied back in November that the competition was going to be much tougher this year than in prior years. If they truly are planning on taking in only 80, I would have to consider my application as borderline at best. Had I known this beforehand, I might not have bothered applying.

That said, Ive just looked at all the other Business school courses, and MSc Finance seems to be the only existing course that is showing an "expected intake" instead of "current students" (with the exception of MSc management, which to my knowledge has always displayed its ranking instead of a student count). Coupled with the fact that its expected intake is exactly the same as the 2 new courses, i sincerely hope this is just a bug. If not, i wish everyone the best of luck..as it seems our odds of getting in are now 1/3 of what they once were.
Reply 17
Hope that too, but I believe that Ariss is right.

Probably someone from Imperial can shed light on this.
Reply 18
Does anyone know if they send out any offers before the first application deadline or do they wait until after?
Reply 19
Ariss is right I do believe as well.

After speaking with admissions a few weeks ago, they indicated that they were planning on trimming down the class sizes due to the introduction of the new programs.

Didn't know it was going to be that severe though.

Has anyone heard back yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending