The Student Room Group

Reference within a reference?

When quoting some text from a paper that the author of that paper has referenced from another source, which reference should I use in my work?

The original source reference or the paper I am quoting from?
Original source! I asked my lecturer this the other day, if in doubt about referencing specific parts of papers just ask one of your lecturers, that's what they are there for :smile:
Reply 2
Might be worth asking your lecturers, as guidance and citation systems differ between organisations.

At my uni, you would cite both e.g. In-text reference would be (Smith 1987 in Jones 2004). Both references would be given in full in the Bibliography. Advice was that we should never quote a source unless we had actually read it ourselves. If we couldn't get hold of Smith 1987, then citing it as a stand-alone reference would be incorrect as it would imply that we had read it when we hadn't.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Might be worth asking your lecturers, as guidance and citation systems differ between organisations.

At my uni, you would cite both e.g. In-text reference would be (Smith 1987 in Jones 2004). Both references would be given in full in the Bibliography. Advice was that we should never quote a source unless we had actually read it ourselves. If we couldn't get hold of Smith 1987, then citing it as a stand-alone reference would be incorrect as it would imply that we had read it when we hadn't.

This is exactly what I have understood to be the case as well. You cite the source you have used.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88

This. I don't believe anything else would be acceptable regardless of the different guidelines used.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending