The Student Room Group

Failing my course - what do I do?

I'm in a situation, TSR. I started University in September and basically, I'm looking at failing my course. I'm studying a joint languages degree (Spanish and Japanese) and it's now the winter break. Spanish is going well, but I've missed around half, if not slightly more of my Japanese classes (hands up - it's mostly my fault, not denying this). I'm now so far behind that catching up isn't really a possibility. To put this into perspective, I know what we did in the first two weeks and that's literally all I know. So yeah, I'm going to fail that half of my degree and by extension, the entire thing.

What are my options? I've met some amazing people (one in particular - I've found love) and dropping out is the last thing I want to do. I'm absolutely petrified of not going to uni, I love it here. It's gotten to the point where I can't sleep because I'm scared of where I'll end up. Can I re-take the first year next year? Can I switch degrees next year without going through the whole application process again? What can I do? Help! I feel as if I'm drowning at the moment, so any and all help will be appreciated. :frown:
Reply 1
It's only first year, how much do you need to proceed to the second? Just as long as you can achieve that and then turn around your act in second year. But you sound like you won't, yeah I'm judging you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ElChapo
It's only first year, how much do you need to proceed to the second? Just as long as you can achieve that and then turn around your act in second year. But you sound like you won't, yeah I'm judging you.

40% I think, but I'm not sure how that works given that my degree is split. To be honest, I doubt I'll make that. Regarding the act, if I could go back to September I'd be on top of everything from the get-go...I haven't regretted something this much in a long, long time.
Email your course directors and arrange a meeting to try and get you on track?

Oh, and work like a crazy ****** over Christmas. You might just scrape a pass. It's worth a shot.
Reply 4
Yup speak to your course director pronto!

Could you swap to single hons Spanish immediately? Assuming you don't want to continue with Japanese?

If not, is there a way you can throw time at Japanese to catch up? Are the lectures recorded? Can you get one of your classmates to go through it with you?

There are loads of language stuff online - can't imagine there wouldn't be something of use there!
To do this tho you need to have an exact idea of what you have missed - so would also recommend speaking to the Japanese tutor?
Go and talk to your Personal Tutor or similar - you wont be the first student who messed about a bit in their first term.

You CAN catch up - IF you want to. And only you can decide how badly you want to get this fixed and so carry on with Uni.

Get yourself all the 'Teach Yourself' Japanese audio courses you can find (local library) and work your arse off over Christmas to get up to speed - then attack next term with the right attitude. And go the ruddy classes fgs.
Original post by FlickerWick
40% I think, but I'm not sure how that works given that my degree is split. To be honest, I doubt I'll make that. Regarding the act, if I could go back to September I'd be on top of everything from the get-go...I haven't regretted something this much in a long, long time.

You'll need 40% minimum on every exam, probably, not just average (though they'll almost certainly let you retake if you do fail as it's your first year).

However, it's the first term of your first year. At my university most people do their real learning in the holidays anyway - surely you can catch up now?
Original post by FlickerWick
I'm in a situation, TSR. I started University in September and basically, I'm looking at failing my course. I'm studying a joint languages degree (Spanish and Japanese) and it's now the winter break. Spanish is going well, but I've missed around half, if not slightly more of my Japanese classes (hands up - it's mostly my fault, not denying this). I'm now so far behind that catching up isn't really a possibility. To put this into perspective, I know what we did in the first two weeks and that's literally all I know. So yeah, I'm going to fail that half of my degree and by extension, the entire thing.

What are my options? I've met some amazing people (one in particular - I've found love) and dropping out is the last thing I want to do. I'm absolutely petrified of not going to uni, I love it here. It's gotten to the point where I can't sleep because I'm scared of where I'll end up. Can I re-take the first year next year? Can I switch degrees next year without going through the whole application process again? What can I do? Help! I feel as if I'm drowning at the moment, so any and all help will be appreciated. :frown:

ok first of all relax I had a mate who was doing joint fashion and I think it was product design at the start of his second year he switched from joint to just fashion as the Spanish is going well why not do that
Reply 8
stop being on this website, and revise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending