The Student Room Group

what can i cook?!

ok, so i'm skint and trying not to spend any money, but i need to eat, i have various bits in the house and very little imagination or creativity. so, if anyone could give me any decent ideas/recipes to try out, i'd be eternally grateful :smile:

i've had a look around and this is what i've got:
in the fridge:
milk
bbq sauce
hp brown sauce
tomato ketchup
1/2 a jar of salsa (quite possibly gone off)
1/2 a tub of clover
1/2 a tub of anchor spreadable
3 eggs
lemon juice
tomato puree
irish cream coffee.
in the freezer:
1/2 a bag of quorn 'chicken' pieces
a loaf of bread
3x half bags of mixed veg
1/2 a bag of broccoli
1/2 bag of brussel sprouts
1/2 bag of summer fruits
2x sub bread rolls
elsewhere:
1/2 a bag of sunflower seeds
1x red onion
4x tinned tomatoes
1x tinned chick peas
4x tinned spinach
1x cream of tomato soup
2x cup-a-soup
huge bag of rice
1/2 pack of spaghetti
3x half bags of pasta quills
2x bags of plain flour
split red lentils
mint imperials
honey
soy sauce
teryaki marinade
and a few other random spices

there's got to be a meal in there somewhere :redface:
thanks in advance
xx
You could do a stir fry with Quorn, teriyaki sauce, mixed veg and/or broccoli, then serve with rice.
Reply 2
You have more than I have:frown:
Reply 3
Cup-a-soup.

Put a couple of mint imperials on a little tray for afters, and it'll be like eating out!

Seriously, you've got loads of stuff. Personally, I'd bung the tinned tomatoes, sweated onions, tomato puree, and a pinch of sugar and seasoning in a pan with some oil for pasta sauce. Make a batch to freeze. You can then reheat it with mixed veg, or a bit of chili another time. But you can make all kinds of different dishes with all that.

I mean, I had to make a hot dog sandwich today.. :frown:
Reply 4
Heavens, that's a ton of stuff. The obvious one is to heat up the tomato soup, maybe bung in some basil if you have it, and butter the rolls. Otherwise, do what dogtanian suggested for the pasta sauce, and then if you have some left, reduce it down and eat with the Quorn and rice.
Reply 5
You could probably make yourself a cake out of that lot :biggrin:

Pancakes, certainly, or anything else that requires batter. Have them with the summer fruits or lemon n sugar. Or savoury pancakes... (never had them, so not sure what to suggest)

An ommlette?
Reply 6
Make your own rice dish. Rice, 'chicken' pieces, teriyake marinade, make a small omelette and chop it up into bits, onion, etc. Anything you fancy really - throw it all in together.
Reply 7
Mix the irish cream with the milk, drink copius amounts and try not to think about the fact you haven't eaten in ages...

Damn - missed the word coffee! Sorry - alcohol to blot appetite won't work with out the alcohol :smile:
Reply 8
Serious answer:

Fry off the 'chicken' and onion

Add tomato puree and salsa, and season

Add tinned tomatoes

Boil up pasta

Mix together

Eat
Reply 9
lol, yeah i guess i do have a lot of stuff, it just looks like a lot less cos it's in a big kitchen.

Ta for the suggestions so far! i think i'll definitely be trying some of these out :smile:
Reply 10
spanish omelette.

fry whatever veg you like in butter in a frying pan (as you have no oil :s: )
break eggs into bowl, whisk lightly.
pour over veg, wait til there's no remaining liquid visible
flip over, cook til slightly browned
simple!

you're lacking cheese, potatoes and oil. infact, almost anything unhealthy :eek: