The Student Room Group

Gamma rays inverse law 3M equation?

Q1. At what distance would a dose of 6uSv(microsieverts) be obtained from a 35MBq source emitting y(gamma) rays with an energy of 60MeV?.. Can anyone show me the equation & answer to this mock study questions?

Thank you
:smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Ayr123
Q1. At what distance would a dose of 6uSv(microsieverts) be obtained from a 35MBq source emitting y(gamma) rays with an energy of 60MeV?.. Can anyone show me the equation & answer to this mock study questions?

Thank you
:smile:

1. There's a useful empirical relationship in Health Physics for gamma dose rate

Dose rate at 1 m = 1.46 x 10-13 A E Sv/hr

where A = activity (Bq) and E = gamma energy (MeV)

2. Doing this from first principles is hard. You have to assume the gamma field is uniformly distributed around the surface of a sphere otherwise the problem is insoluble. So you can get the photon (and hence energy) flux per unit solid angle. However, the Sv is energy absorbed per unit mass and you know nothing about the mass per unit area of the absorber (a quantity know in this game as the thickness).

3. The Q also doesn't make sense. It asks for a dose, which is of course dose rate x time, so you could get 6 uSv from 1 hour at 6 uSv/hr, or 6 minutes at 60 uSv/hr, or....... Are you sure the Q isn't asking for a dose rate?
Reply 3
Thank you for replying👍😀
I've since answered(7.64metres)and got the equation worked out,I agree that the question doesn't make sense and I've another one I'll be posting tomorrow which is in-depth!
These 2questions I had to move on from last week, but realise I have to understand them.
I've enrolled on a distance learning course and do not get as much help as I would like as the tutors are very busy!
Well I hope I was some help.

Oh, by the way, 60 keV sounds a much more realistic gamma energy (Am-241). Worth checking that bit of the question. The empirical equation I gave you is only valid up to 3 MeV

Quick Reply

Latest