The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
It doesn't really matter how many GCSEs you get as long as you are able to acheive the next 'level' of education which is AS Levels.

Employers only take your best 8 or 9 GCSEs no matter what anyways so if for example somebody got:

9 A* 1 C and 2 D's it would be the same as a person who got 9 A* in theory.

I'm not sure about universities but i think GCSEs play a very minimal part in the thinking behind whether you get accepted into a University/Job or not, if any part at all. All they are generally bothered about is if you have passed English and Maths. A lot can be learnt from Year 11 to University, both socially and mentally.

For example, you could have just messed about in high school and scraped 5 GCSE's but then really got your act together and knuckled down and come away from college with good A-Level results.

Oh, and for the record, i did 11 GCSEs. 5 A*'s, 4 A's and 2 B's.
Reply 81
VeryBigEd
Employers only take your best 8 or 9 GCSEs no matter what anyways so if for example somebody got:

9 A* 1 C and 2 D's it would be the same as a person who got 9 A* in theory.

If they check the GCSEs they will notice the lower grades and take them into account. But if you have grades like those you are likely to get a degree and the level of degree will be much more important (and A levels) - at the most the GCSEs will be glanced at and they will see you have a lot of A*s. Any non-graduate employer will be very impressed with 9A*s, you'd be way better than other applicants, so the low grades don't matter. So you are right that it isn't really important, but no employer is going to consider only the best 8 or 9 grades unless they go completely on a quantative ranking system.
Reply 82
I'm doing 11... 10 in school, 1 outside; counting short courses as 0.5
12....booorrring
Oh my God!!!!

It seems like I've done way too many GCSEs then.

I done 14 GCSEs (13 in one sitting along with an A Level in Greek)

My GCSEs are in the following subjects:

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Statistics
English Language
English Literature
French
German
Greek (A* taken 3 years early)
Religious Studies
Geography
Fine Art
Economics

and an A Level (taken with GCSEs) in

Modern Greek (gained 285/300 in AS Greek in year 10)

Is there anyone else out there with 14 GCSEs + an A Level in a second language (I have never lived in Greece by the way)
Reply 85
1 German
2 Maths
3 History
4 English Lang.
5 English Lit.
6 RE
7 Biology
8 Chemistry
9 Physics
10 Latin
11 Classical Greek
Reply 86
i did 12.5 with 4 choices, i sometimes also forget i choose business studies...
Reply 87
I did 11 last year and got 7A*s and 4 As a year early

I also got 1 C 4 years early in Resistant Materials
I'm doing 12.5:

Yr 8
French (A*)

Yr 9
Double Science (A*)
[just to count it as 2] (A*)
Spanish (A)

Yr 10
English Language (pending)

Yr 11 - next year
English Literature
Mathematics
History
Latin
Chinese
Psychology
Music
Religious Studies (half)

I think I could have tackled Biology, Chemistry and Physics in year 9, but no. No-one there to teach it (sigh).

I'm jealous now - I want to do another few GCSEs.

Regarding A levels:

Yr9
AS French - C

Yr 10
AS Biology
A2 French

Yr 11
AS English Literature
AS Psychology
Reply 89
Berto90
And when compared with A-Level results, both are pretty negligible :rolleyes:

Apparently GCSEs are supposed to be a lot more reliable than A-levels for predicting the outcome of your degree, actually.
Reply 90
Bexy*at*your*service
How many GCSE's have people done?? I am doing 11.5 and compared to my friends that seems quite high. I was just wondering.

How are you doing that many Becky?
I did 10.5 as I did GCSE Spanish after school during Year 11 (it was just me and a Year 13 doing it!). Doing some after school or what? :confused:
Reply 91
I've never had Mr Dodd teach me but he's a family friend (ever seen him sing in a show at Lowther? hehe). Had Mr Higgins for some Tech before GCSE. Madame Gény taught me GCSE and A-level... she's lovely (and hilarious) really, she just doesn't like teaching classes with naughty children in. :p:
Hmm, thats it. So many new teachers all of a sudden... at GCSE some of my teachers were... hmm... Mr Catmore, Mrs Hinchliffe, Mr Wood (t'other one), Mr Cawkwell, can't remember for Bio.. maybe Mrs Cosh, who was my form tutor too. Ermm... Mme Gény, Miss Constable, Miss Probert, Mr Enwright... that's about all of them I think! For A-level I had Miss Rawlinson (only AS), Miss Constable, Miss Armer, Mme Gény, Miss Ashcroft and Mr Murray.
Reply 92
My Year 11 Prom was CRAP. So very, very crap. But then I wasn't friends with many people. My best friend and I went on several walks round Ribby Hall during it and near the end this girl came up to me and said that "so-and-so wants to know if you'll dance with him". I politely refused (he was a shocker, went to my primary school and was a bit slow... plus, I'm not really into dancing in front of people :biggrin: ), then she came back again about 3 times arguing with me and demanding that I give a reason! Precious memories...

I didn't go to my leaver's ball this year. Neither did my best friend. The Year 11 one put us off and it's not like I felt like I really knew anyone else in my year. I heard it was pretty rubbish actually!
I presume you two go to the same school...? Please keep private things to PMs :smile:
Reply 94
Excalibur
I presume you two go to the same school...? Please keep private things to PMs :smile:

Pffffft. It's not private, the whole world can read our fascinating conversation if they like. It's not like this thread's going to be used much now anyway... and I don't think I've gone a day without seeing a thread that's gone completely off-topic. Meh. Party pooper. :eviltongu

:wink:

EDIT: Didn't Becky start this thread anyway? Not that it makes much of a difference...
Ronove
Pffffft. It's not private, the whole world can read our fascinating conversation if they like. It's not like this thread's going to be used much now anyway... and I don't think I've gone a day without seeing a thread that's gone completely off-topic. Meh. Party pooper. :eviltongu

:wink:

EDIT: Didn't Becky start this thread anyway? Not that it makes much of a difference...

:p: Sorry! I just thought it would be better kept to PMs as you are talking about mutual teachers and whatnot in public.
I did 9..
Reply 97
I did nine, is any esle doing the IB by any chance????
Xrypto
I did nine, is any esle doing the IB by any chance????

I wish I was, sounds much better than A-levels :redface:
calcium878
I wish I was, sounds much better than A-levels :redface:

I would have considered the IB, if only it wasn't compulsory to take English. :p:

Latest