The Student Room Group

GCSEs hinder chances of Neuroscience at Cambridge?

I achieved 1A*,3A's,6B's,1C. No I did not study, I was on track for 9A*s,2A's. It was my mistake.

However, at A levels...I am doing well so far in my exams and I do hope to get 4A's at the end of this year with at least 95UMS in all exams.

What are the chances? I am so intrigued in Neuroscience and Cambridge has an amazing facility...with an outstanding collection of A levels, Personal Statement...is it worth the shot?

:colondollar:
Reply 1
It is quickly becoming evident that Oxbridge are caring less about GCSE's across the board. Of course many of the super competitive courses will look at them in more stringent ways, but the view that GCSE's hold all the cards in Oxbridge admissions is very far from the truth.

Neuroscience at Cambridge from what I know, stems from their Natural Sciences course of which you will need an A*AA minimum to be with a shot at applying. From there you may have to take a test (such as the TSA) but this depends on college of course.

I wouldn't be saying that you did not study for your GCSE's in a potential interview as it reflects negatively on you overall, I would just put this down to a lack of focus at the time and this then enables you to spin this into a positive as you can clearly (hopefully) show that you have improved massively , and ready to succeed.

So to answer your question. Yes its worth a shot, but you will need to absolutely blitz your A-levels
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by aneducation
I achieved 1A*,3A's,6B's,1C. No I did not study, I was on track for 9A*s,2A's. It was my mistake.

However, at A levels...I am doing well so far in my exams and I do hope to get 4A's at the end of this year with at least 95UMS in all exams.

What are the chances? I am so intrigued in Neuroscience and Cambridge has an amazing facility...with an outstanding collection of A levels, Personal Statement...is it worth the shot?

:colondollar:

If you get 95% UMS you should definitely give it a shot. This is provided you have studied at least three science/maths courses at AS & preferably four if you did FM. It has to be said that most people who get 95% would have done better than B's & C's at GCSE even without studying, but only you know your situation.

As regards A*AA only about 10& of NatSci entrants get only one A*. The majority achieve 3A* at A2 or better, so aim high!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending