The Student Room Group

Offputting sexist titles on the Latest Discussions column: proposal

Scroll to see replies

Oh shut up and ignore it.

Feminists have to to complain about everything..
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Well, I would ask you to try thinking about what it must be like as a woman to see threads like that being given such prominence.

I'm a woman and i don't care...I've also commented in the "if you could bang any man senseless..." thread so being annoyed would make me a hypocrite... The internet isnt really a place for sensitive types to be honest and if people dont like the threads they're not forced to go look at them
Reply 22
Original post by james22
You do realise there is a thread like that about men though? Why have you not mentioned that one?

There's 2 on the main page about men actually :lol:

But yes, none of them are sexist in any what what so ever
Reply 23
I actually thought that was just as crap, at least in terms of cheapening the appearance of TSR to a new user. I'm not however seeking to remove such threads, merely to take them off the Latest Discussions column.

Just not enough to mention it :rolleyes:
Look, get over it. I'm sure many guys and gals here don't like some of the threads. No one is forcing anyone to log on and post.
Reply 24
Exploiting phoney liberalism in the name of commercial profit to make crude sexist remarks in public isn't exactly a great champion for the cause of anti-censorship.

But you are pro-censorship. Plus you're ignoring the fact that there's a thread entitled 'If you could bang any guy senseless who would it be?':

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2542241

Also, blanket banning all chat threads would be a poor idea.
Original post by Kiss
But you are pro-censorship. Plus you're ignoring the fact that there's a thread entitled 'If you could bang any guy senseless who would it be?':

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2542241

Also, blanket banning all chat threads would be a poor idea.

Not sure if you read my OP? I'm not asking for anything to be banned (at least, not in this thread.) I'm asking for the Latest Discussion column that appears on the front page for every new and existing user to exclude Chat as it cheapens the site and makes it look like a centre of disgusting woman-hating and sexism.
Reply 26
Will someone please explain how wanting to have sex with someone is sexist?
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Agreed, It can be pretty unnerving as a woman on TSR, and **** like that doesn't help.

How is it unnerving? I haven't seen anything that would suggest that women have a particularly hard time on TSR apart from the blatant trolls who can be ignored and sarcastic sexist comments on relevant threads, but made in jest.
I actually don't have a problem with that thread title :dontknow:
Original post by A Perfect Circle
OP needs a dictionary for Christmas.

It'd be my privilege as a male to buy one for you.

Are you talking about my use of the word 'sexist'? Of course it's sexist, the thread title implies women are purely sexual objects to be used, which is absolutely classic sexism.

That's the beautiful irony in all this. OP is being unknowingly sexist in one direction in a poor attempt to prove sexism in the other direction.

There's no irony, not even close. The fact that someone tried an ironic response to the original sexist thread with a joke in no way negates the original sexism.
Reply 30
Original post by aeon439
Why bother to engage with people like this at all? Leave them to their crude threads and just ignore or report them if they turn up on an interesting thread - that's what most people do.

This. There's a lot of crude, pathetic, sadacts on this forum and the best thing to do is just ignore them really.
Reply 31
Not sure if you read my OP? I'm not asking for anything to be banned (at least, not in this thread.) I'm asking for the Latest Discussion column that appears on the front page for every new and existing user to exclude Chat as it cheapens the site and makes it look like a centre of disgusting woman-hating and sexism.

That's still censorship. The site has already cheapened itself with pathetic FIFA association rules for warning points and removing negative rep. Taking away certain threads from appearing on the latest discussion column would ruin TSR further.

And you're ignoring the fact that there is an equivalent thread aimed towards women about men, as I and other users have mentioned.
Original post by WK_Of_Angmar
How is it unnerving? I haven't seen anything that would suggest that women have a particularly hard time on TSR apart from the blatant trolls who can be ignored and sarcastic sexist comments on relevant threads, but made in jest.

Considering your number of posts, that doesn't surprise me much. Give it time.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I actually don't have a problem with that thread title :dontknow:

Some women have become so familiar with this type of abusive and sexually demeaning material that it can get to seem 'normal' and 'acceptable', but that doesn't make it so. Others are too intimidated to respond or fight it. Just look at all the abusive remarks directed against me in this very thread for having the cheek, not to ask for a ban, but just to ask for it not to be on the front page.

The reaction proves my point.
Reply 34
OP needs a dictionary for Christmas.

It'd be my privilege as a male to buy one for you.

That's the beautiful irony in all this. OP is being unknowingly sexist in one direction in a poor attempt to prove sexism in the other direction.

I wish Fullofsurprises was a troll but sadly this is what the far left has become...It's particularly embarrassing to see idiots like this on "my side" as I consider myself a left-leaner.

Don't use the 'i' word, that could offend people with disabilities! :frown:
Reply 35
Some women have become so familiar with this type of abusive and sexually demeaning material that it can get to seem 'normal' and 'acceptable', but that doesn't make it so. Others are too intimidated to respond or fight it. Just look at all the abusive remarks directed against me in this very thread for having the cheek, not to ask for a ban, but just to ask for it not to be on the front page.

So disagreeing with you is now sexist is it?
Reply 36

come on.... you gotta admit though, the reactions are making you laugh. :colone:
Reply 37
Are you talking about my use of the word 'sexist'? Of course it's sexist, the thread title implies women are purely sexual objects to be used, which is absolutely classic sexism.

No, it doesn't. It implies that men are attracted to certain women and fantasise about being with with those women, which is absolutely fine.
Reply 38

I don't see how it does. Would a thread like "Name men you would like to play tennis with" imply that all men are purely objects for us to use to practice our backhand with? :erm:
Original post by Kiss
That's still censorship. The site has already cheapened itself with pathetic FIFA association rules for warning points and removing negative rep. Taking away certain threads from appearing on the latest discussion column would ruin TSR further.

And you're ignoring the fact that there is an equivalent thread aimed towards women about men, as I and other users have mentioned.

I'm not ignoring it completely, I'm saying it's irrelevant - men are not the victims of sexism in all the ways women are. To have it thrown in our faces on sites like this is perhaps predictable, but that doesn't mean we are just going to lie down and let it roll over us. (no pun intended)

And it isn't censorship, in fact the reverse is true - as they banned negs because of 'audience research', why the heck are they allowing extreme sexist phraseology and sexist threads repeatedly on the front page?

Of course, TSR was created by a man and he is still very much in charge, it goes without saying. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending