The Student Room Group

Is it time to shut down Oxford & Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Oxford brooks? Yeah, its **** anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Absolutely not. This is the same problem that we had with grammar schools.
Reply 22
Original post by Lady Comstock
And turn them into museums and/or shopping centres?

hahaha you go to the University of Trollheim

you study Applied Trollonomics

:rofl:
Not gonna happen in millions years.
Reply 24
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:nah:

Well, you can shut down Cambridge if you like. Filthy Tabs :nothing:

:ninja:

I agree with the sentiment, but then we'd have no-one to blindly hate...

PRSOM anyway. :smile:
Original post by Habsburg
I agree with the sentiment, but then we'd have no-one to blindly hate...

PRSOM anyway. :smile:

Ah that is true! I hadn't considered that aspect... :beard:
Original post by Lady Comstock
And turn them into museums and/or shopping centres?

That was a weird but interesting idea ... that wouldn't happen in the present and most probably in the future ...
Reply 27
Lady Cumstock is jealous she didn't get into Oxbridge.
And no, OP. Just no. But it's never too bad to dream about things.
Through popularity and high demand I think Oxford and Cambridge will become of the the 'immortal' universities.
They need reform within how the select and teach undergraduates certainly (scrap PPE?). Oxford and Cambridge carry out much excellent academic research but they are partly responsible for creating a scientifically illiterate elite that are parachuted into plum appointments within politics and business in this country. Of course these really requires a cultural shift in how we view these institutions and their graduates. A degree from either of these places should simply be seen as the opportunity it is rather than the end result that many seem to use it as a way to brow-beat others.
Reply 30
i think the solution is for each of these august institutions to open one more college. entry to this college to be via a national tombola. each week all of the "year 13" children ( as the Upper VI are called these days ) in the country will be entered into a TV draw and 4 lucky youngsters will be allocated a place. their subject of study to be chosen in a separate draw by Ms Vorderman.
By the end of the year 200 students will be ready for action.
this scheme will enable unqualified and talentless children to enjoy the Oxbridge experience.
Yes let's turn them into Hogwarts
Original post by SoftPunch
Lady Cumstock is jealous she didn't get into Oxbridge.
And no, OP. Just no. But it's never too bad to dream about things.

Harvard is where it's at, darling.
Nope. It'd actually be nice if other unis adopted their model!
Reply 34
Shut down the other place but please do leave the doors of Cambridge open
Reply 35
Original post by the bear
i think the solution is for each of these august institutions to open one more college. entry to this college to be via a national tombola. each week all of the "year 13" children ( as the Upper VI are called these days ) in the country will be entered into a TV draw and 4 lucky youngsters will be allocated a place. their subject of study to be chosen in a separate draw by Ms Vorderman.
By the end of the year 200 students will be ready for action.
this scheme will enable unqualified and talentless children to enjoy the Oxbridge experience.

I fully support this randy
Reply 36
Oxford and Cambridge are just places for rich parents to send their kids. They discrimenate against poor people and people from comprihensive schools. Of course they should be shut down to improve social equality.
Reply 37
Original post by james22
Oxford and Cambridge are just places for rich parents to send their kids. They discrimenate against poor people and people from comprihensive schools. Of course they should be shut down to improve social equality.

but I'm from a state comprehensive

and I've applied to Cambridge and they've considered my background etc (given me an interview at least)

I don't think they actively discriminate against comprehensives but comprehensives themselves do not give you much hope of getting into Cambridge at the same volume as private schools
Original post by james22

No they don't, it's not the fault of Oxford and Cambridge that a large number of the best candidates come from private schools, it is a problem within the secondary education system, not the universities. I come from a very low income household as both my parents are disabled and cannot work but I got into Oxford because I love my subject and did well in my A levels (which anyone can due to all the online resources provided by the exam boards and revision guides).

Stop spouting rubbish, how would shutting them down improve social equality? By no one in the UK being able to go to a world class university unless they can afford to go to a top Ivy League, therefore decreasing social equality.
Yes, turn them into museums! I love museums :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending