The Student Room Group

Birkbeck, University of London (2014 Start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kimie_9
Congrats on the offers guys :smile: I've got an unconditional offer from them for Biomedicine. I really like Birkbeck, but am still waiting on a few other uni's. Where else have you guys applied?

I have applied to Kings, LSE &UCL (as well as being rejected by Cambridge)

Still waiting on LSE and UCL... my application went in on Oct 14th!
Reply 21
Original post by Lord Jon
I accepted my offer from Birkbeck but I also applied to Keele , Kent, Southampton Solent and Birmingham City

Oh thats great :smile: So what made you choose Birkbeck over the others, if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Original post by Medea87
I was set on Birkbeck however if I get offers from QMUL or Aberdeen I have to take them seriously, particularly Aberdeen as the course looks really diverse and interesting

Ohhh, okay. Well fingers crossed you get an offer :smile: They are all good uni's so it will be a tough decision.

So, is everyone here over 19? :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by ockhamsshotgun
I have applied to Kings, LSE &UCL (as well as being rejected by Cambridge)

Still waiting on LSE and UCL... my application went in on Oct 14th!

Ohh wow, so you've been waiting ages lol I sent mine on the 16th Nov and im feeling impatient, so can only imagine how you feel lol

Sorry about the Cambridge rejection, but UCL and LSE are fantastic still, so fingers crossed :smile:

Do you have an offer from Kings then?
Reply 23
Original post by Kimie_9
Oh thats great :smile: So what made you choose Birkbeck over the others, if you don't mind me asking :smile:

So, is everyone here over 19? :smile:

I turn 20 in April! :biggrin:

And I chose Birkbeck as it seems like a really nice and a very supportive university. That and the fact that I want to stay in London. I been born and raised here and STILL don't tire of this place! :wub: and as it's a University of London college it's a prestigious qualification!

Basically my reason is: "Why the hell not!" :tongue:

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimie_9
Ohh wow, so you've been waiting ages lol I sent mine on the 16th Nov and im feeling impatient, so can only imagine how you feel lol

Sorry about the Cambridge rejection, but UCL and LSE are fantastic still, so fingers crossed :smile:

Do you have an offer from Kings then?

Yeah AAA for BA Philosophy. Going to struggle to make a decision! I wasn't surprised Cambridge turned me down, it was a very 'risky' application.

I swear the wait is turning my brain to mush!
Reply 25
I turn 20 in April! :biggrin:

And I chose Birkbeck as it seems like a really nice and a very supportive university. That and the fact that I want to stay in London. I been born and raised here and STILL don't tire of this place! :wub: and as it's a University of London college it's a prestigious qualification!

Basically my reason is: "Why the hell not!" :tongue:

How about you?

I completely agree. I also think its brilliant that I can still complete my degree in three years, even though its only a few nights a week. If I get accepted by Kings, it will be a really tough choice on which to choose, but being as im a little older (Im 24 lol), Birkbeck is very appealing. We will all have to make sure we try and organise some kind of social night though, as that aspect is the only thing about the uni that worries me lol :smile:

Yeah AAA for BA Philosophy. Going to struggle to make a decision! I wasn't surprised Cambridge turned me down, it was a very 'risky' application.

I swear the wait is turning my brain to mush!

Oh wow thats great, congrats. I really hope I get an offer too lol

So which do you think will be your top choice if you get an offer from UCL and LSE aswell?

Haha I know what you mean, my brain is already mushy, so this is not helping :tongue:
Original post by Kimie_9
I completely agree. I also think its brilliant that I can still complete my degree in three years, even though its only a few nights a week. If I get accepted by Kings, it will be a really tough choice on which to choose, but being as im a little older (Im 24 lol), Birkbeck is very appealing. We will all have to make sure we try and organise some kind of social night though, as that aspect is the only thing about the uni that worries me lol :smile:

So which do you think will be your top choice if you get an offer from UCL and LSE aswell?

Haha I know what you mean, my brain is already mushy, so this is not helping :tongue:

I am 30 this year (typing that still feel weird) so I know what you mean. Birkbeck is very appealing to my owlish nature too; I am much more active at night and have a livelier mind then.

My top choice... now you are asking! I suspect it will depend on the offers; assuming they are all equal it will be a close run thing between them all.

Given I want to go into academia/teaching, UCL or Kings would be a good choice, but LSE and Birkbeck both are good choices too, for different reasons. Being realistic I don't think I will be able to make a decision until all the offers are in one way or the other.

How about you, what do you think you will choose if you get offers to all your applications? I forgot to ask what it was you were applying for! :colondollar:
Reply 27
Original post by Kimie_9

This is what I like too! You can work in the day a little bit more than most students and study at night! Be more financially well off slightly :smile:

As for social im sure we still can! I'm sure the su has stuff on , not to mention we can get involved with other nearby University of London colleges and thier unions. You may have to sign up as an affiliate for around £20 per year :smile:

Loads of places and we can organize something if you want! :biggrin: a Birkbeck TSR meet up sounds fab! :smile: a Facebook group perhaps.

Don't mean to get ahead of myself haha just excited

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just turned 27 in January and I've accepted my unconditional offer to study Financial Economics as it was my only choice! Luckily I got in!
Anybody else who's going to study Financial Economics?
Reply 29
I am 30 this year (typing that still feel weird) so I know what you mean. Birkbeck is very appealing to my owlish nature too; I am much more active at night and have a livelier mind then.

My top choice... now you are asking! I suspect it will depend on the offers; assuming they are all equal it will be a close run thing between them all.

Given I want to go into academia/teaching, UCL or Kings would be a good choice, but LSE and Birkbeck both are good choices too, for different reasons. Being realistic I don't think I will be able to make a decision until all the offers are in one way or the other.

How about you, what do you think you will choose if you get offers to all your applications? I forgot to ask what it was you were applying for! :colondollar:

Haha the transition from your twenties into your thirties must be a daunting prospect :P I am also rather owlish, so the night time teaching should be a plus lol

Ohhh I see. I can only guess how hard a decision it will be. Once all your offers come through though, you'll have to let us know which you pick.

Well, Kings has always been my favourite, but im not sure if I will get in. I didnt do A Levels, but instead an Access to HE course and im just not sure if it will be good enough as the course is soooo competitive. Oh and im applying for Biomedical Science :biggrin: lol

This is what I like too! You can work in the day a little bit more than most students and study at night! Be more financially well off slightly :smile:

As for social im sure we still can! I'm sure the su has stuff on , not to mention we can get involved with other nearby University of London colleges and thier unions. You may have to sign up as an affiliate for around £20 per year :smile:

Loads of places and we can organize something if you want! :biggrin: a Birkbeck TSR meet up sounds fab! :smile: a Facebook group perhaps.

Don't mean to get ahead of myself haha just excited

Yeah, still poor, but a little better off than the others haha :smile:

Thats true, I didnt think of that. I would be worried that they wouldnt accept me though as I wasnt one of them lol

Yesss, a TSR meet up would be great. Its always nice to meet people ahead of uni so it will be fun :smile:
Reply 30
I received a conditional offer from Birkbeck, the condition was i pass the selection test. well i done the test two weeks ago, they haven't got back to me yet. today i received an email inviting me to attend an "Offer day" what thus it mean..
Reply 31
Original post by cybercop
I received a conditional offer from Birkbeck, the condition was i pass the selection test. well i done the test two weeks ago, they haven't got back to me yet. today i received an email inviting me to attend an "Offer day" what thus it mean..

It could just mean you've received an offer and therefore they want you to come and look round or it could mean that they've marked the test and you've passed and they just haven't got back to you about it yet.

I've just booked onto the offer day on 1st March, is anybody else going to an offer day?
Original post by Medea87
It could just mean you've received an offer and therefore they want you to come and look round or it could mean that they've marked the test and you've passed and they just haven't got back to you about it yet.

I've just booked onto the offer day on 1st March, is anybody else going to an offer day?

Yes I'll be there mate. :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by Kimie_9

Yeah, still poor, but a little better off than the others haha :smile:

Thats true, I didnt think of that. I would be worried that they wouldnt accept me though as I wasnt one of them lol

Yesss, a TSR meet up would be great. Its always nice to meet people ahead of uni so it will be fun :smile:

Haha hey, switch to Part Time as opposed to F/T and we can be that even more bit richer! :wink: , sure it will be one more year and you miss out on a few things F/T students get such as not paying council tax... but still probably better off.

As for a meet up, I'll probably see if I can get one established later on in spring. I think we are all a bit busy and it's a bit too far off to have one now :smile:
Reply 34
Haha hey, switch to Part Time as opposed to F/T and we can be that even more bit richer! :wink: , sure it will be one more year and you miss out on a few things F/T students get such as not paying council tax... but still probably better off.

As for a meet up, I'll probably see if I can get one established later on in spring. I think we are all a bit busy and it's a bit too far off to have one now :smile:

Lol that is a good point, but I don't want to wait that long to get my degree haha plus it doesnt make much difference to the contact hours lol

Ohh yeah, I didnt mean anytime soon lol defo sometime in the summer :biggrin: hopefully by that time, quite a few others may have joined the thread too lol :smile:
I have an unconditional offer for Financial Economics with Accounting, can't wait to start! And I will be going to the offer day on Saturday 1st March, so if anyone else is going I may see you there :smile:
Reply 36
I got an unconditional offer from Birkbeck last night after I had an interview with them on Monday. I'm holding off on whether to accept it though. When I went for the interview I found out it was evening classes which interested me a lot as I've been working night shifts since I finished school a couple of years ago (I turn 21 in October). However the amount of classes worries me a tad. 4 evenings a week 2 hours per evening sounds like very little. Just wondering if it will be challenging enough. Not that I want to be bombarded with work but I would like something that keeps me from boredom... I've applied for Film and Media studies (almost forgot to mention that)
Reply 37
Original post by moviemad
I got an unconditional offer from Birkbeck last night after I had an interview with them on Monday. I'm holding off on whether to accept it though. When I went for the interview I found out it was evening classes which interested me a lot as I've been working night shifts since I finished school a couple of years ago (I turn 21 in October). However the amount of classes worries me a tad. 4 evenings a week 2 hours per evening sounds like very little. Just wondering if it will be challenging enough. Not that I want to be bombarded with work but I would like something that keeps me from boredom... I've applied for Film and Media studies (almost forgot to mention that)

Not sure about for film and media studies but when studying history it's common to only have 6-8 hours contact time a week, you're supposed to do a lot of personal reading and reading around the topic.

Anyone who fancies meeting up on Saturday pm me.
Original post by moviemad

This is normal contact hours. I am in my 1st year doing English at ARU and did it a few years ago at Goldsmiths as well (I'm transferring into my 2nd year at Goldsmiths) and it's always been 6-8 contact hours a week. You have so much reading and independent work to do that it would be impossible to get it all done if you were at uni like 20 hours a week as well!
Congrats all! I got an unconditional offer for the diploma in Law so I may well be seeing you in the near future :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending