The Student Room Group

anyone else noticed that when people receive offers...

Scroll to see replies

What a horrible person. I hope I never meet you if you become a doctor. Remember pride comes before a fall...
Reply 21
Leave them be. They aren't trying to fool anyone saying they got offered from a 'better' university. They probably assume people know they are talking about the metropolitan colleges not the Russell Group institutions and other highly regarded universities. It makes me cringe so much when people slag of metropolitans in public because its just rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
only one good uni and thats oxford brooks. every other uni is **** full of posh snob or stupid person. oxford brooks is in the middle and is pure quality. i loves oxford brooks. i dream of oxford brooks this where i send my child to oxford brooks so he dont have to work cleaning the citroen like his father.

all u posh snobs go to uni but never get good jobs or pay good tax. u just take from system just like benefit cheats.
What's it got to do with you OP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually have a friend who put on his fb profile that he studies at Oxford. When he's at Oxford Brookes. It wouldn't irritate me so much if he wasn't the most conceited, arrogant person I've ever known.
(edited 10 years ago)
Has it not occurred to any of you that for some people a place at Sheffield Hallam is either still an amazing achievement or that actually they never wanted to go to Sheffield Uni in the first place as it doesn't offer the subject they want?

I think some of you need to start growing up a bit and start looking beyond your very small middle-class lives.
(edited 10 years ago)
When I was applying, I applied to five unis in 5 different cities. My friends knew which I'd applied to, so if I put on Facebook "offer from Manchester!" they'd know I meant Manchester Met, because they knew that's where I'd applied. Anyone who I hadn't told where I had applied didn't mean enough to care, so to be honest as long as they don't say something like "I go to The University of Sheffield" and outright lie about it then I don't see the problem.
I'm at nottingham, it wouldn't really annoy me too much if people at Trent say there at nottingham. At the end of the day if career offers heavily rely on the university you went too then they'll soon be in a pickle. I haven't come across anyone who says there at nottingham when at Trent. They generally call themselves Trent :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
HND Locksmithing with Industrial Placement

yale.jpg
Reply 29
They probably do it because they don't want the university snobs judging them...
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
When I was applying, I applied to five unis in 5 different cities. My friends knew which I'd applied to, so if I put on Facebook "offer from Manchester!" they'd know I meant Manchester Met, because they knew that's where I'd applied. Anyone who I hadn't told where I had applied didn't mean enough to care, so to be honest as long as they don't say something like "I go to The University of Sheffield" and outright lie about it then I don't see the problem.

I think this is the reason why. If you don't understand that this is what they meant then the probably didn't care about you enough to tell you where they applied.
People care far too much about what doesn't concern them in the slightest.
Reply 31

So essentially, you broadcasting false information with the caveat that people who aren't your friends don't care anyway.

What a facile argument. If they're your friends, you wouldn't need to tell the whole world on Facebook.

Seems like attention seeking to me.
Reply 32
some of you just like to rain on other people's parades... leave them be
Reply 33
Original post by returnmigrant
Has it not occurred to any of you that for some people a place at Sheffield Hallam is either still an amazing achievement or that actually they never wanted to go to Sheffield Uni in the first place as it doesn't offer the subject they want?

I think some of you need to start growing up a bit and start looking beyond your very small middle-class lives.

I think you've misunderstood; I don't think anyone would have a problem if people posted "YES! Got an offer from Sheffield Hallam!" because you're right; if that's where they want to go then it's an achievement. But the OP is pointing out that people often don't specify, and simply write "YES! Got an offer from Sheffield!" which can be misleading if people don't know that this person doesn't have the grades to get into Uni of Sheffield, as it would probably be assumed they meant uni. of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
So essentially, you broadcasting false information with the caveat that people who aren't your friends don't care anyway.

What a facile argument. If they're your friends, you wouldn't need to tell the whole world on Facebook.

Seems like attention seeking to me.

It's hardly the whole world, is it. I only have a couple of hundred people on Facebook, most of whom I know personally. I only meant that the people who matter will understand. It's not false information. Saying "Sheffield" is not the full name of any institution, so it could be describing either.
Reply 35
It's hardly the whole world, is it. I only have a couple of hundred people on Facebook, most of whom I know personally. I only meant that the people who matter will understand. It's not false information. Saying "Sheffield" is not the full name of any institution, so it could be describing either.

You have yet to grasp hyperbole.

My point still stands; you broadcasted misleading information, when really you should have posted I got into Manchester Met.
Some people genuinely do get the two confused. You'd be surprised how much time Uni of Manchester has to spend telling people that Man Met is an entirely separate university

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
This annoys me so ****ing much, when people who have absolutely no idea how much hard work it takes to get into a top uni come along and claim they go to Oxford when they go to Oxford Brookes, Cambridge when they go to Anglia Ruskin etc. just ****s on people that have put in gargantuan amounts of effort to actually go to a uni that's worth the fees.
Totally agree! Some of the so called traditional 'real/better' unis don't offer the dgrees people want to do. For anyone to say non-traditional unis are for retards is downright ignorant. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CocoaPowder
Totally agree! Some of the so called traditional 'real/better' unis don't offer the dgrees people want to do. For anyone to say non-traditional unis are for retards is downright ignorant. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly traditional unis do offer degrees that some people want to do, as most of their courses are significantly oversubscribed. Some new universities do offer degrees that aren't offered at traditional universities, but these usually either fall into the category of either
(a) subjects that are legitimately a bit more vocational but still useful and less often offered by traditional universities, such as undergraduate teaching degrees
(b) subjects that shouldn't be university degrees in the first place - the football studies and the knitting studies of this world
and then there are also those more academic degrees that are normally taught at traditional universities, such as law and biology, where the only people (with a very few exceptions for personal circumstances) who do them either don't have A Level grades that are good enough for the traditional universities, or they have been very badly advised by their teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending