The Student Room Group

AS Psychology...particularly OCR

OK basically I need another AS next year, and was considering doing psychology since it seems interesting and different to my other subjects (Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Philosophy)...if anyone's willing to offer any opinions on what they thought of psychology at AS, particularly the OCR course then I'd be uber happy :p:

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
I seriously hated Psychology and found it do dam boring. All you do is learn studies and thought it would be all exciting. Most people in my school agreed and half basically dropped it and the end of the AS. The only reason i didnt drop it is because i got a whole grade less in Biology. But you may enjoy it and is very fomulamatic to revise for. If you want to do it do it but it may turn out to be seriously boring. If there is coursework on OCR AS though that is very easy to do. I did AQA by the way.
I'd recommend it, we have quite a full psychology class & quite a lot of people are planning to take it up at AS level next year. I find it interesting & it links in with Philosophy quite well. But I don't know much about the OCR course since I'm doing AQA.
The OCR Psychology course is quite easy but you need to have a good memory since you will need to learn 20 core studies. You learn very few theories. The studies are quite interesting and most of them are 'classic' research such as Milgram's and Zimbardo's. I would recommend it if you want to do an easy but interesting AS.
i would recommend you try studying psychology because it is one the most interesting and challenging subjects offered at A-level. When doing psychology you will realise how well it blends in with our everyday life without us even noticing. However with every subject psychology does require alot of independent work and you have to be prepared to learn many theories and debates.

It is indeed one of the most easiest subjects am doing at A-level. And i would highly recommend anybody do it because you will learn vast amount of useful psychological studies and you'll realise how well it affects us in our daily lives. So no its not a boring subject but it requires alot of reading and evaluting material.
I would definitely do it as an AS - the OCR AS was so easy!!! You could basically not bother turning up to lessons and just do the work at home... all it is is learn and go through 20 studies - sounds a lot, but they're really simple (apart from a few which need going over a few times to make sense!) - the exam is basically answering questions based on the studies - again, extremely simple. It would be worth it as an AS because compared to other sunjects it's a lot easier in this first year.
Reply 6
Reading your comments, and finding out about it from my mates is who've just done AS Psychology, I think I'll be doing Psychology next year... Thanks for your thoughts people :smile:
lovelee-jublee
I would definitely do it as an AS - the OCR AS was so easy!!! You could basically not bother turning up to lessons and just do the work at home... all it is is learn and go through 20 studies - sounds a lot, but they're really simple (apart from a few which need going over a few times to make sense!)
the raine question is always so easy despite looking really hard, all you have to do is memorise one (or at most 2) noteable differences between GRI and NGRI subjects...
Reply 8
Hi, I do OCR... did Sport and Crime. I found AS fine, but personally found it really hard to revise for A2 as there was a lot to learn and it's basically a memory test. Found it ok on the day but revising for it got pretty stressful. Made loadsa flashcards, think that made it a lot better.
_-Arctic-Monkey-_
Reading your comments, and finding out about it from my mates is who've just done AS Psychology, I think I'll be doing Psychology next year... Thanks for your thoughts people :smile:

You will be fine, and will find it so much simpler than the subjects you're doing at A2!!!

Come September when you take it up, if you need any help then we'll be here!!! :smile:
Reply 10
That's an excellent point... probs wouldn't be half as hard as doing Further Maths, Chem and Physics, mind you I'm bias coz I can't do those subjects :biggrin:

Good luck
Reply 11
I did OCR AS psy and really enjoyed it, do it!!

Latest

Trending

Trending