The Student Room Group

How important is prestige to you?

When deciding on which Universities to apply to?

For me I'de say it's pretty important but thats just because I wouldn't want to go to a 'bad' University.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very, I know I'm capable of achieving high grades do I deserve the best Uni I am capable of getting into. Don't settle for less.
Prestige is the most important thing and the sole decider in which universities I apply to, it even comes ahead of what subject course the uni offers
Very. When it comes to employment I think the university you attended counts for a major part. Especially the "target uni's" for major firms.
Very. When it comes to employment I think the university you attended counts for a major part. Especially the "target uni's" for major firms.

E.g: Someone who wants to work as an Investment banker in the city.

Geography at Cambridge > Financial Mathematics at University of East London
Very important, my parents have worked very hard for me to have a good education. I can't settle for something less than I am capable of.
Reply 6
As long as it is not somewhere gay like Manchester, Liverpool, Brighton, Sussex, Sheffield, Leeds, York or Newcastle then it's ok. Very gay at Manchester.
Reply 7
To be honest 'prestige' was one of the last things I looked at when considering Universities.

First and foremost was the course/ content/structure - if you don't mind what course you do then you shouldn't be going to university in my opinion. Uni is a big investment and you need to have a clear idea of how it will help you get exactly where you want in the future. (Unfortunately schools ship too many students straight off to uni when a majority of them don't have a clear enough idea of what it is they want to do...)
Next most important was the area, and whether I would feel comfortable there.
Then sports clubs/societies as I would go absolutely crazy if I didn't have martial arts for 3+ years.

In all honesty, I only checked the league tables and rankings after I had a clear idea of my first and second choice unis anyway.
Reply 8
I'm content with my Russel Group and University of London offers but I can't help wishing I'd have tried harder to get better grades. Oxbridge wasn't an option - I was predicted A*AB. Where I live, you're considered 'clever' if you go to any University as the participation levels are really low.

I firmed my offer from Leeds (AAA) mainly because it's 9th in the country for English, which is what I'm going to be studying. It was important.
Original post by KehRawwr

First and foremost was the course/ content/structure - if you don't mind what course you do then you shouldn't be going to university in my opinion.

Thank you for pointing this out. Every year I teach people who havnt actually READ THE COURSE DESCRIPTION, and dont realise that they wont be studying xxxx or yyyy if they come to this RG Uni. All they see is the Uni brand name and how that will sound when they are showing off to their friends.

Think very carefully about the reality of spending three whole years studying a course/subject you dont actually like.
To be honest 'prestige' was one of the last things I looked at when considering Universities.

First and foremost was the course/ content/structure - if you don't mind what course you do then you shouldn't be going to university in my opinion. Uni is a big investment and you need to have a clear idea of how it will help you get exactly where you want in the future. (Unfortunately schools ship too many students straight off to uni when a majority of them don't have a clear enough idea of what it is they want to do...)
Then sports clubs/societies as I would go absolutely crazy if I didn't have martial arts for 3+ years.

In all honesty, I only checked the league tables and rankings after I had a clear idea of my first and second choice unis anyway.

This just doesn't make sense with your general point, if people have a very clear idea of where they want to be in the future, and the route involves going to the most prestigious university in order to maximise their chances, then why does it matter if they choose a course that is easier to get into? I actually think people that put how comfortable they would be in the area/whether the uni has the kind of societies they'd enjoy/course structure as part of their decision-making process are weak. Brb sacrificing a huge difference in employability just because you'd be more 'comfortable' elsewhere..
Reply 11
Original post by marcus2001
This just doesn't make sense with your general point, if people have a very clear idea of where they want to be in the future, and the route involves going to the most prestigious university in order to maximise their chances, then why does it matter if they choose a course that is easier to get into? I actually think people that put how comfortable they would be in the area/whether the uni has the kind of societies they'd enjoy/course structure as part of their decision-making process are weak. Brb sacrificing a huge difference in employability just because you'd be more 'comfortable' elsewhere..

Well yes, of course if a prestigious uni is exactly what you've thought through, offers you your dream course and is relevant to your future goals then by all means go for it. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't try their hardest to get into a top uni.
What I am saying is uni is not just something you put on your cv to impress prospective future employers. It is something you will have to actually do and somewhere you'll have to be for 3+ years. You do have to be comfortable there, and you do have to make sure that you're getting exactly what you want to get out of a course.

I came out of school with the same ingrained 'golden route' idea that everyone seems to have, i.e. get into the best uni you can straight after sixth form, then get a job, so I've been there/done that/got the t shirt with going to one of the best universities I could get into. Without giving any thought to the course/structure or the other aspects of uni life, I did a years course and I was miserable because I wasn't getting what I wanted from the course. It was easily the worst year of my life, and I don't want to repeat it, or have anyone else find themselves in a similar position.
So, of course, I'm advising everyone to think very carefully about the actual course they're going on, not just the uni.

It's like buying into a brand without thinking about whether you really like that particular product, just because the brand is considered better by everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without giving any thought to the course/structure or the other aspects of uni life, I did a years cours'e and I was miserable because I wasn't getting what I wanted from the course. It was easily the worst year of my life, and I don't want to repeat it

Keep saying this LOUDLY!

Together we might get a few people to think beyond the nutty idea that 'a prestigious Uni' will guarantee you instant career fulfillment and personal happiness.

Its just MARKETING you silly people - that is ALL.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Keep saying this LOUDLY!

Together we might get a few people to think beyond the nutty idea that 'a prestigious Uni' will guarantee you instant career fulfillment and personal happiness.

Its just MARKETING you silly people - that is ALL.

I would much rather go to LSE and have less of a social life than go to Birmingham and have an awesome social life.

That's what people who go to less prestigious Universities say...
Not very. I admit I'd not want to go to a university known for being absolutely awful, but I'm not too bothered. I've chosen Liverpool as my firm over Durham (which most people on here would probably criticise me for) because I much prefer the course; course content I think should play a greater part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by adamsmithqm
I would much rather go to LSE and have less of a social life than go to Birmingham and have an awesome social life.

Your acting like Birmingham is a crap uni or something...
Original post by yaboy MKII
Your acting like Birmingham is a crap uni or something...

Of course not. Birmingham is a pretty damn good University. I was just making point and that was the first Uni that popped into my head.
Not at all. The most prestigious uni I got an offer for was Queen Mary. I ended up choosing one of the lowest ranked unis in London because I knew as soon as I compared each uni's modules for my subject (Psychology) I preferred the other uni to Queen Mary. All that matters to me is that I enjoy what I'm studying. A big plus is that the uni I go to is nowhere near as bad as the vast majority of people expect it to be. :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest