The Student Room Group

String of bad relations left huge dent in confidence - CANNOT REVISE

My predicament :
I seem to attract girls, but I seem to be incapable of attracting intimacy?

Context:
I seem to undergo this repetitive five-stage process with girls:
We get physical > it becomes a frequent thing > she shows all the tell-tale signs of wanting something more (frequent texting, sharing personal stuff etc.) > I bring it up > they reject me.

This has happened to me twice in the last 8 months.

GIRL A: The first girl was a girl I met during my gap year. She was the most charming person ever and she genuinely seemed to unconditionally want me (despite massive cultural differences between us, she would show a natural interest in my family, be curious about my childhood, tell me a lot about her family etc.) Yet when I tabled the idea of us being more than just a fling, she knocked it out of the park.
GIRL B: This repeated again with an equally charming girl I fell for during Freshers' Week. She was not as into me as my gap year romance but again she showed tell-tale signs of wanting to get serious (confiding in me, cuddling before sleep, frequent texting etc.). Again, when I suggested the idea, she did not seem into it.

Admittedly, something happens in the 'she might want something more' phase where I start to panic and do not know how to react. I genuinely have this complex where I think I am not deserving of intimacy and no girl could possibly want something serious from me. It is potentially here I f*** things up. But despite that, the last situation with Girl B has worsened this complex of mine and has sent me down a spiral of seeking meaningless encounters with girls I have no genuine interest in just to keep myself distracted.

IN SHORT: Has anyone felt that they are not good enough to deserve intimacy?

There is a huge lad culture in my uni and an incredible pressure on guys to compose themselves and 'keep it together' - so i'm turning to you TSR and I would appreciate a mature response! :biggrin:
Reply 1
EDIT FROM OP: I would like to add that I am not the type to get serious over every girl i'm with. I have very quirky tastes in terms of personality and looks and it is only over VERY SELECT FEW girls that I find myself in this conundrum with (i.e. it is certainly not a case me being a hopeless romantic with every girl that gives me a second glance).
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My predicament :
I seem to attract girls, but I seem to be incapable of attracting intimacy?

Context:
I seem to undergo this repetitive five-stage process with girls:
We get physical > it becomes a frequent thing > she shows all the tell-tale signs of wanting something more (frequent texting, sharing personal stuff etc.) > I bring it up > they reject me.

This has happened to me twice in the last 8 months.

GIRL A: The first girl was a girl I met during my gap year. She was the most charming person ever and she genuinely seemed to unconditionally want me (despite massive cultural differences between us, she would show a natural interest in my family, be curious about my childhood, tell me a lot about her family etc.) Yet when I tabled the idea of us being more than just a fling, she knocked it out of the park.
GIRL B: This repeated again with an equally charming girl I fell for during Freshers' Week. She was not as into me as my gap year romance but again she showed tell-tale signs of wanting to get serious (confiding in me, cuddling before sleep, frequent texting etc.). Again, when I suggested the idea, she did not seem into it.

Admittedly, something happens in the 'she might want something more' phase where I start to panic and do not know how to react. I genuinely have this complex where I think I am not deserving of intimacy and no girl could possibly want something serious from me. It is potentially here I f*** things up. But despite that, the last situation with Girl B has worsened this complex of mine and has sent me down a spiral of seeking meaningless encounters with girls I have no genuine interest in just to keep myself distracted.

IN SHORT: Has anyone felt that they are not good enough to deserve intimacy?

There is a huge lad culture in my uni and an incredible pressure on guys to compose themselves and 'keep it together' - so i'm turning to you TSR and I would appreciate a mature response! :biggrin:

I get this. I have the same problem. It's easy to find guys who want a fling or ONS, but finding anyone who wants anything more is impossible! I'm beginning to think I'm just not girlfriend material. Sometimes I do feel like I'm not good enough. Also, these guys tend to find a girlfriend very shortly after getting involved with me, so it's not just that they don't want relationships.

I don't know why it happens. I guess we just attract and are attracted to the wrong kind of people.
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol
I get this. I have the same problem. It's easy to find guys who want a fling or ONS, but finding anyone who wants anything more is impossible! I'm beginning to think I'm just not girlfriend material. Sometimes I do feel like I'm not good enough. Also, these guys tend to find a girlfriend very shortly after getting involved with me, so it's not just that they don't want relationships.

I don't know why it happens. I guess we just attract and are attracted to the wrong kind of people.

Excellent knowing others are on the same boat, though I would really like some responses from guys.

Have you ever felt that you aim too high in terms of standards and just should settle for what you are given?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending