The Student Room Group

Apply to undergraduate A100 medicine after starting a Science Degree?

Hey, I am a current international school leaver applicant applying for undergraduate medicine for 2014 entry.

I am thinking that if I don't get in this year, despite how much I would like to go on a gap year, I cannot as my parents would not allow it. Therefore, if I miss all four of my choices this year for medicine, I will most likely start a science degree in my fifth choice university or my own local home university (remember I'm international, but the only medical schools I have applied to is the 4 UK ones, and non locally), but it won't be medicine.

Therefore, say I started a degree, for example Chemistry in a university, can I apply to UK medical schools for 2015 entry, as at that point I would be in my first year of a most likely 3 year course with no further degree, therefore can I still apply like any other gap year student, or will I have to be on a gap year and not enrolled into any tertiary course?

The universities I am most interested in is Cambridge and Imperial, (I have an interview for UCL for 2014 entry so if I fail that I cannot reapply at 2015), although information for other universities that allows this would still be invaluable to me.

Please can someone expert in this field shed some light.

Thank you all in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
This is what I have read from this link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/applying_for_medicine_whilst_on_a_different_course

"Cambridge “Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge. If you wish to make such an application, it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it. If you wish to apply to Cambridge to study a different subject from the one you are currently studying at university, we would assume that you have had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.” OKAY "

Does that mean they allow (in bold) if we are enrolled in a non-UK university? They also said they would not normally consider applicants for a similar course, would a course of Chemistry be considered similar to Medicine?

"Imperial “Although there would be nothing to prevent you from making an application whilst enrolled on a course elsewhere, it should be noted that the selection panel will not look upon this too favourably.” OKAY "

They will not look upon this favourably, how big a disadvantage would that be, please share some opinions.
It would look really flaky applying from first year. Better to apply in your final year with the added experience and qualifications even if you intend to do the 5 year undergrads rather than graduate entry. Saying that Cambridge (Lucy Cav) just told one of my friends to apply with her degree in hand as they had so many strong applicants that they weren't interviewing those still pending.

From your parents perspective...surely its cheaper to send you on a gap year than fund you through an extra degree/year on a course you're not going to complete? Maybe you could work in a health care environment for that year to boost your application?
Reply 3
Original post by Quilverine
It would look really flaky applying from first year. Better to apply in your final year with the added experience and qualifications even if you intend to do the 5 year undergrads rather than graduate entry. Saying that Cambridge (Lucy Cav) just told one of my friends to apply with her degree in hand as they had so many strong applicants that they weren't interviewing those still pending.

From your parents perspective...surely its cheaper to send you on a gap year than fund you through an extra degree/year on a course you're not going to complete? Maybe you could work in a health care environment for that year to boost your application?

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain your friend's situation please, I don't seem to understand, so do they want her to apply after or before her degree?

As for my parents, if I don't get into medicine this year, they want me to complete any degree and then apply for graduate entry rather than gap year, as to them gap year is a waste of time. Therefore, I am just thinking if I could just on the first year, if I do start another degree, try to apply to med school again.

Thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
She is in Final year and predicted a First, she got a year prize in First year and never had a mark under a 2:1, She got the highest grades in our cohort last year. But enough people applied to grad med who had already graduated and got their First that they didn't feel the need to interview anyone still doing their degree, admissions phoned her to say she was being rejected despite how strong her application was and that they would like her to apply next year once she has graduated. She also has all the right grades at A Level.
Reply 5
Original post by Quilverine
She is in Final year and predicted a First, she got a year prize in First year and never had a mark under a 2:1, She got the highest grades in our cohort last year. But enough people applied to grad med who had already graduated and got their First that they didn't feel the need to interview anyone still doing their degree, admissions phoned her to say she was being rejected despite how strong her application was and that they would like her to apply next year once she has graduated. She also has all the right grades at A Level.

Ahh, but I suspect she applied for Cambridge graduate entry? What I am planning to do is to apply for the undergraduate A100 course while in my first year of a degree in another university.
most uni's frown upon applying in first year of another degree. it reflects lack of commitment to your current study subject and potentially also to medicine. They prefer you to apply in your final year or having gained your degree already.

Convince your parents to take a gap year and get hospital-related work to boost your application.
Reply 7
Original post by sweetchilli
most uni's frown upon applying in first year of another degree. it reflects lack of commitment to your current study subject and potentially also to medicine. They prefer you to apply in your final year or having gained your degree already.

Convince your parents to take a gap year and get hospital-related work to boost your application.

That is my aim now as well, to try to convince them to allow me a gap year, if I could , that would be my first choice.

However I would just like to see what options I have if I really do start a degree.
Original post by Bomb
That is my aim now as well, to try to convince them to allow me a gap year, if I could , that would be my first choice.

However I would just like to see what options I have if I really do start a degree.

For many the gap year is a time waster, come up with an itinerary and make arrangements for placements now then show your parents that you would be working and gaining experience, if they support your decision to be a doctor they'll understand. If they just just want you safely on any old degree then it's going to be harder but you must have some smarts or you wouldn't be going down the med route. Applying from first year is going to look bad, applying from second year is probably as pointless and by then you might as well finish up as final year finishes around May.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending