The Student Room Group

What's keeping you alive?

When you're feeling depressed and feel like you're better off dead, what is there that keeps you alive? What do you live for?

If you had to choose between life and death at exactly this moment, and if you chose life, why?

Scroll to see replies

Because death is nothing, life is something. Something is better than nothing.
Reply 2
Hate
Reply 3
Life, because I have it a hell of a lot better than most people around the world. I walk a couple of feet and I have fridge stocked with food, I can merely turn a tap and I have fresh water running, I have my health and intelligence that got me through uni. I used to let petty **** get me down but not anymore, I had to man up and be grateful with what I have.

Sometimes I do think of the daunting things to come, the extra responsibilities and burdens I'll have when I get married and have children but you just have to grit your teeth and get on with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
My cats, my partner and my gran keep me going.

I'd choose life because I have nothing to die for. I've still got a lot of things I want to achieve before I die.
Reply 5
Are you ok OP?
I want to do better than the haters and laugh in their faces.
Reply 8
nothing really
Reply 9
Just want to live :smile:
Reply 10
My heart.
Islam. Knowing that there's something to live for.. I can constantly improve my chances of getting into paradise. Also, suicide is a major sin so that's out of the question.
Reply 12
I always remember this "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltun92DfnPY
Original post by shouldbestudying
Because death is nothing, life is something. Something is better than nothing.

1) How do you know for certain death is nothing?
2) Why is something better than nothing?
Original post by Atsushi
I always remember this "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltun92DfnPY

How is spending nearly three and a half years trying to get over your first love a temporary problem? Do you know what it feels like to hate yourself so much you really just want to punish yourself severely and die?
Reply 15
Original post by Pineapple Sauce
How is spending nearly three and a half years trying to get over your first love a temporary problem? Do you know what it feels like to hate yourself so much you really just want to punish yourself severely and die?

You have got your whole life ahead of you. You'll find the right person. I do know how it feels like. And if you've seen the full video you'll get the message.
Original post by Cashmee
You could poison yourself and die painlessly. :rolleyes:

Cyanide is thought to be pain free yet actually it is said to be very painful. With a lot of suicide attempts, people don't die directly but several days later from the consequences of their act. So, when people jump off buildings, try to drown or take a sufficiently large overdose they die from internal organ failure. For every 8-25 suicide attempts one is successful as well. It is more difficult than people think without resorting to hanging (which is also unreliable and can leave a very messy result) and shooting yourself in the face.
Original post by BWV1007
When you're feeling depressed and feel like you're better off dead, what is there that keeps you alive? What do you live for?

If you had to choose between life and death at exactly this moment, and if you chose life, why?

Cake.

And if I'm really down. Christmas Cake.
Original post by Cashmee
There are plenty of poisons in this world to kill you painlessly.
E.g Potassium cyanide, hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide.
As for cyanide salts you can get them from local chemical stores, you will be killed in like 10 minutes.
I'm sure you know how to produce carbon monoxide, burn alkenes in oxygen deprived enviroments.
If all else fails, just go to switzerland and recieve Euthanasia. :rolleyes:

See 'Effects of exposure' http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/EmergencyResponseCard_29750037.html

It was also used for capital punishment in USA but dropped because people spent over ten minutes in agony
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Because I don't have a reason to end my life

Quick Reply

Latest