The Student Room Group

permanent job -going on holiday

I am thinking of starting a job as a health support worker on wards which is listed as permanent. I do the job from now up until July. I know that i will be going on holiday in July for 4 weeks but I won't tell them this now since I would still be new and it is not a good first impression. Providing I give them at least a month/ a month and a half's notice can I do that or will they sack me. I would have liked to go on holiday, come back and do the job until September. Do you reckon they would allow that or will I just be sacked when /i tell them /i cannot come in because I am on holiday. In which case I will just be better off resigning around June time and not going back. However this looks bad if I need them for refree purpises. Alternatively could I take no holidays at all and work during any holidays then just save the holidays up for July- I'm not sure how all this works :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheGreaterGood
I start a job as a health support worker on wards which is listed as permanent. I do the job from now up until July. I know that i will be going on holiday in July for 4 weeks but I won't tell them this now since I would still be new and it is not a good first impression. Providing I give them at least a month/ a month and a half's notice can I do that or will they sack me. I would have liked to go on holiday, come back and do the job until September. Do you reckon they would allow that or will I just be sacked when /i tell them /i cannot come in because I am on holiday. In which case I will just be better off resigning around June time and not going back. However this looks bad if I need them for refree purpises. Alternatively could I take no holidays at all and work during any holidays then just save the holidays up for July- I'm not sure how all this works :s-smilie:

I would tell them now. If it was booked before they offered you the job, then they should be better about it than if you where to tell them later on. Quite a few places will honour it when you start if it was booked before they took you on. Plus if you tell them later on, you run the risk of them not letting you have it off because of staffing/other people having those dates booked off etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending