The Student Room Group

Should I buy a Kindle?

The thing is, I read. Quite a lot.
I do my best to take advantage of offers going on, or I look around to see where a certain book is cheaper.
I save some money that way, and that's cool.
The thing is, whilst looking at some books on Amazon, I noticed the kindle versions for some are £1-£4 - which is cheaper than getting the book on paperback.
That cast doubt into my mind, because I started thinking; "what if it's better to get a kindle and have all my books in there?"
Because it is easier to take around. I could go on a 12 hour plane flight and not get bored because I'd have all my books on one device and could switch between them.
But I do rather prefer having the paperbacks.

Then again, I think, long term, buying a £69 Kindle and then the books for £2 or so each would be cheaper than buying the paperback copies for around 7 or 8 quid each.

Honestly, do you think getting a kindle is worth it?
I just don't want to spent 70 quid just for nothing, but I feel it'd be easier for me to read whenever I want.

Thanks. :smile:
You should try a Kindle before you buy one. Personally, I much prefer reading physical books, just because I like the feel of them and get immersed more easily in them.
It probably depends on your individual circumstances. If you are often away from home and like to read many different books, it could be worthwhile as you could easily carry lots of books around with you and, as you say, regularly switch between them.
I don't have a Kindle but I have the Kindle app which I buy books on. You should try that first?
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
You should try a Kindle before you buy one. Personally, I much prefer reading physical books, just because I like the feel of them and get immersed more easily in them.

I think I'll try that, just to see how comfortable [or not] using and holding a Kindle would be.

Original post by Platinum Mech
It probably depends on your individual circumstances. If you are often away from home and like to read many different books, it could be worthwhile as you could easily carry lots of books around with you and, as you say, regularly switch between them.

Well, I'm only really away when I go to school and such, although I do sometimes go on holidays twice a year [if I'm lucky] and it's bothersome having to take two or three books...

Original post by flown_muse
I don't have a Kindle but I have the Kindle app which I buy books on. You should try that first?

So I think I might give this app thing a whirl. It's free, right? Can I be downloaded on Android?

Oh, and cheers everyone. Thanks for the contributions! :smile:
I really like Kindles and I thought I would hate them as they aren't a proper book. So don't let that put you off. I have the basic cheapy one though and it doesn't look vastly different from a real book; the screen isn't backlit, it looks like typed pages, etc. My sister has a Kindle Fire HD which is horrid. But yeah they are much lighter than a real book obviously, more portable and you can take lots of books with you. I took mine on holiday last year and it was great :smile: but if you have an iPad or something you can use the app.
Reply 6
I got a Kindle for my birthday nearly 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. :biggrin:
You get used to reading on the Kindle so don't be afraid of missing physical books especially when your immersed in a story.
I'd say to get the Kindle paperwhite as it seems much better than the standard one. I sometimes get annoyed at the fact my Kindle doesn't have a back light but it isn't too problematic.
Also, you can get all your books for free...
Original post by MelissaMarie
Well, I'm only really away when I go to school and such, although I do sometimes go on holidays twice a year [if I'm lucky] and it's bothersome having to take two or three books...

Well, that takes away one big reason for you to get a Kindle, given that paper books are often so cheap and easy to carry around (in small numbers) anyway. Though, as you've suggested, getting a Kindle might be more financially appealing to you over the long term if you really do read a hell of a lot of books.

So I think I might give this app thing a whirl. It's free, right? Can I be downloaded on Android?

Yep, it's free and available on Android. If you have an Android smartphone or tablet, getting that app certainly seems wiser (financially, anyway) than spending £100 or whatever a Kindle costs.
its cool and all, but i watched a programme on tv and they said that the kindle dies out after one year [just after the warranty expires] . apperently this is not just a one off this happens to many people (even me and some of my friends)

Though this is a problem, it doesnot actually matter, you can still enjoy reading for a whole year!
and if it fails afterwards, its made its money, so you shouldnt be disapointed. :biggrin:

NB: I watched the programme early this year so this information may have expired
Reply 9
Original post by Mohid Khan
its cool and all, but i watched a programme on tv and they said that the kindle dies out after one year [just after the warranty expires] . apperently this is not just a one off this happens to many people (even me and some of my friends)

Though this is a problem, it doesnot actually matter, you can still enjoy reading for a whole year!
and if it fails afterwards, its made its money, so you shouldnt be disapointed. :biggrin:

NB: I watched the programme early this year so this information may have expired

That's very interesting, because my friends and I have had an opposite experience.

OP, as was mentioned previously, I would recommend trying it out before you make up your mind. I have a kindle, and it's one of the best things I've bought. I'm a big reader as well and don't travel very often, but I love the freedom of being able to choose what I can read from such a wide range, especially when I'm outside my house. I'm the sort of person who reads more than one book at once, so I find the kindle very useful in this respect.

I would also say that for me, the cost of the kindle has been worth it. Not just in terms of of the flexibility it gives you, but also the money I've saved by getting some classical books for free, and countless others at a reduced price. Being able to see sentences and paragraphs that other people have highlighted in also a bonus - it's helped me look more closely at a story and come across things I wouldn't have previously.

Having a kindle hasn't had that big of an effect on my use of physical books either. I still enjoy walking through bookshops and choosing what to read. I have a shelf packed full of books, some of which I've only bought recently. Having a kindle doesn't necessarily mean you'll never touch another physical book again; I can never understand my friends when they tell me I've "betrayed libraries."

I also buy most of my books online, and it's so useful to go on the amazon website and be able to buy the ebook there and then - you can read the book straight away and don't have to wait days for the delivery.

I'm not a big fan of the Kindle apps on the phone though. I've tried them, but I find the bright light very distracting. I prefer the screen on the kindle - which is why I think you should go and check them out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending