The Student Room Group

Rejected by all my foundation in Medicine courses....now Psychology degree?

Hi I'm currently studying Psychology, Sociology and a BTEC in Health and Social Care. As I do not have science A-levels I cannot apply for Medicine directly or any science degrees.

I've been rejected by my foundation courses after my interviews.

Basically I was wondering if I could receive some advice as to whether I should study Psychology at uni and then apply as a postgraduate to Medicine. Or would taking a year out and applying to foundation courses again be a better route? Thanks.
Reply 1
Generally if you've been rejected after Interview for foundation courses - It probably wouldn't be wise to take a year out and re-apply to the same courses as they wouldn't accept your application.

If you were to however, apply to different universities then for foundation courses then this could potentially be an option for you. I don't think there is a better route but note that some universities will require you have a science degree when applying for GEM so it would be wise to check requirements and some will also request that you have Science A Levels. You should also not underestimate the competitive nature of Graduate entry, it is much more competitive than UG Medicine and that itself is very competitive.

You could potentially do foundation year science degrees? I'm aware that Manchester offer a Life Sciences Foundation option after which you can proceed onto any of the courses offered by the School - this would put you in good stead when applying to Medicine.

Good luck with whatever option you go through with :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mariya101
Hi I'm currently studying Psychology, Sociology and a BTEC in Health and Social Care. As I do not have science A-levels I cannot apply for Medicine directly or any science degrees.

Basically I was wondering if I could receive some advice as to whether I should study Psychology at uni and then apply as a postgraduate to Medicine. Or would taking a year out and applying to foundation courses again be a better route? Thanks.

What are your stats?
Reply 3
Original post by games211
What are your stats?

AS: dist* dist* A B
A2 predicted: dist* A* A
Reply 4
AS: dist* dist* A B
A2 predicted: dist* A* A

Have you tried applying to any of the "Access to Medicine" Courses? They don't have the same direct entry as foundation courses do, you have to apply for Medical school while doing the course - but there one year courses and if all your lacking is the grades they do work :smile:

Alternatively you could go and do A-Levels?

I wouldn't recommend getting a degree for the purpose of applying to post grad for two reasons:

1) The competition is considerably fiercer (I want to say 14/15) applicants for each place, but I'm not sure if thats right :P

2) You will have to self fund it without a student loan, at the cost of about 4K a year + Living costs

3) You will be spending 3 years studying for a degree which you will use to get entry to medical school, instead of just doing A-levels/Access???

The other benefit of Access is that most are still taking applications for this September, so you could apply directly for med school 2015 entry (The next cycle)

:wink:
Reply 5
Original post by FergieD
Have you tried applying to any of the "Access to Medicine" Courses? They don't have the same direct entry as foundation courses do, you have to apply for Medical school while doing the course - but there one year courses and if all your lacking is the grades they do work :smile:

Alternatively you could go and do A-Levels?

I wouldn't recommend getting a degree for the purpose of applying to post grad for two reasons:

1) The competition is considerably fiercer (I want to say 14/15) applicants for each place, but I'm not sure if thats right :P

2) You will have to self fund it without a student loan, at the cost of about 4K a year + Living costs

3) You will be spending 3 years studying for a degree which you will use to get entry to medical school, instead of just doing A-levels/Access???

The other benefit of Access is that most are still taking applications for this September, so you could apply directly for med school 2015 entry (The next cycle)

:wink:

Which Medical Schools accept the Access course?
Reply 6
Which Medical Schools accept the Access course?

Different med schools accept different access courses :P You need to do some research of the med schools - the list them on there pages :smile:
Reply 7
This is Manchesters:

General information on subjects/grades required for entry:We will consider applicants taking one of the following Access to HE courses in one year: College of West Anglia, Sussex Downs and the Manchester College. For full details please visit the University website.

Sorry to hear about your rejections. Do you know whey you were rejected (you are allowed to ask for feedback), because that may help you decide what to do next.

As others have said, you should check first before reapplying to somewhere that has already rejected you previously, but you could apply to other foundation courses. Remember also that if you firm a place on a Psychology course, you can review your options when your results come through, and that might mean turning down the offer, and having another go at Medicine after a gap year. Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Pastaferian
Sorry to hear about your rejections. Do you know whey you were rejected (you are allowed to ask for feedback), because that may help you decide what to do next.

As others have said, you should check first before reapplying to somewhere that has already rejected you previously, but you could apply to other foundation courses. Remember also that if you firm a place on a Psychology course, you can review your options when your results come through, and that might mean turning down the offer, and having another go at Medicine after a gap year. Good luck!

One university told me I didn't demonstrate responsibility and in another uni I didn't score to a high enough standard on a maths test.

I'm thinking if I did take a gap year there is still no guarantee I will get the place therefore I think doing a degree may be a safer route as once I've done my degree and apply for Med..even if I don't get in I still have a backup.

Thanks for your advice though
Reply 10
One university told me I didn't demonstrate responsibility and in another uni I didn't score to a high enough standard on a maths test.

I'm thinking if I did take a gap year there is still no guarantee I will get the place therefore I think doing a degree may be a safer route as once I've done my degree and apply for Med..even if I don't get in I still have a backup.

Just remember your chances of getting in to a graduate scheme are considerably less than an undergraduate.

I was just wondering what foundation courses you applied to?

Also which one made you do a maths test?

I know this is a bit late but I would really appreciate any information, I'm applying after a gap year this October and can find barely any info on foundation courses
Reply 12
Original post by aworldalone
I was just wondering what foundation courses you applied to?

Also which one made you do a maths test?

I know this is a bit late but I would really appreciate any information, I'm applying after a gap year this October and can find barely any info on foundation courses

Clinical science at Bradford uni
Interdisciplinary Science at Leeds Uni - maths test required
Health foundation year -Keele uni
Clinical science at Bradford uni
Interdisciplinary Science at Leeds Uni - maths test required
Health foundation year -Keele uni

What kind of things came up in the maths test? Was it hard? What do you need to get so you get accepted?

Thanks for replying and good luck with medicine :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by aworldalone
What kind of things came up in the maths test? Was it hard? What do you need to get so you get accepted?

Thanks for replying and good luck with medicine :smile:

On my test I had things like addition, multiplication, fractions and percentages. The more questions you get right the harder the test gets, I saw other people completing graphs and doing algebra. So just refresh your memory on GCSE maths and sorry I'm not sure what you need to get in order to get accepted.
Reply 15
Hey there, think we had a PM convo a while back. If you've got any questions about Psychology for undergraduate followed by GEM, feel free to ask!

I am sorry to hear that but which courses did you apply for, and also if you don't mind sharing how much of the WP criteria did you meet (please don't answer if you don't want to)?
Reply 17
Original post by 15mohsinfa
I am sorry to hear that but which courses did you apply for, and also if you don't mind sharing how much of the WP criteria did you meet (please don't answer if you don't want to)?

Hey this thread is 7 years old and the account has not been active since 2015. I would normally say create a new thread for new discussions, but you have already done that so good job!

@becausethenight do you want to lock this thread?
As said, this thread is 7 years old so is now closed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending