The Student Room Group

Stoicism - simplified

Could you simplify for me the concept of stoicism as much as possible, possibly quoting famous stoics? Is it consequentialist or deontological?

What are your thoughts on stoicism? How much of it do you agree or disagree with and why?
In terms of individuals stoicism means to realize and to fulfill the own life in a natural order, and so stoics learn how to accept their destiny and to control themselves. Thus stoics get serenity and ataraxia (calmness), characteristics which should stoics help to get wisdom.

In my opinion it is a philosophy which points to consequentialism to get a certain goal at the end, namely wisdom. Stoicism is a nice philosophy, if it enables people to get the characteristics which are written above, but I guess there are more ways than stoicism to get wisdom.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by googolminex
Could you simplify for me the concept of stoicism as much as possible, possibly quoting famous stoics? Is it consequentialist or deontological?

What are your thoughts on stoicism? How much of it do you agree or disagree with and why?

As my name would suggest, I'm quite a fan.

Since Stoicism is based around being virtuous I think it classically leans towards being more deontological but I don't think its iron clad to either side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending