The Student Room Group

Best way to lose body fat?

I ain't chubby neither am i toned :P I'm looking to lose a bit of weight and get some abs . I know a six pack is more to with diet more than anything but i need to lose weight on my stomach before i can even think about that. Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stop eating crap and snacks/sweets.

Lastly, you might just be unlucky some people burn more fat some less.
Reply 2
Original post by danny111
Stop eating crap and snacks/sweets.

Lastly, you might just be unlucky some people burn more fat some less.

Yeah i stopped eating junk food it's going to be hard xD but i was getting fed up of it anyway. And for me erm.. I lose weight quite quickly well at least i have in the past
Reply 3
Liposuction works wonders.
Burn more calories than you intake....

I am not sure what else there is to say.
Reply 5
hit the gym and play some sports
Reply 6
Original post by Kreme
Liposuction works wonders.

I AIN'T THAT FAT

I found this so i'ma most like use it http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/workout-routines/
Reply 7
So carb diet yo
Reply 8
Original post by Dilsz
I AIN'T THAT FAT

I found this so i'ma most like use it http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/workout-routines/

Okay. In addition, you can get a training corset.

lol
Reply 9
Mixed vegetables

Lean chicken
Lean pork
Lean turkey
Minced beef
Fish

Brown Rice
Wholewheat bread

Almonds

Green Tea
Water
Weight training + running 3 to 6 times per week

Healthy diet. every 2-3hours each meal. Basically allow you become athletic and look great. 3 Months or more would be good results.

When you want eat something tasty like Pizza and chocolate, should make a set plan and set it to once or twice a month. Cheat meal say Pizza hut once a month.
Reply 10
Original post by shadow001
Mixed vegetables

Lean chicken
Lean pork
Lean turkey
Minced beef
Fish

Brown Rice
Wholewheat bread

Almonds

Green Tea
Water
Weight training + running 3 to 6 times per week

Healthy diet. every 2-3hours each meal. Basically allow you become athletic and look great. 3 Months or more would be good results.

When you want eat something tasty like Pizza and chocolate, should make a set plan and set it to once or twice a month. Cheat meal say Pizza hut once a month.

Thank you so much for this!

Original post by Kreme
Okay. In addition, you can get a training corset.

lol

NO! >_>
Original post by Dilsz
I AIN'T THAT FAT

Don't get me wrong i'm not a health expert, but the best way i found is to say good bye to sugar and sauces of all kinds, even fruit should be cut to a small quantity. Eat more then normal, but break it down into 4-6 meals a day. Avoid bread unless its whole or multi-grain. Try not to eat after 8 o'clock and no carbs after 6. Then just use this program you suggested and do a bit of sport and you start to lose fat pretty quickly. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Mattp9850
Don't get me wrong i'm not a health expert, but the best way i found is to say good bye to sugar and sauces of all kinds, even fruit should be cut to a small quantity. Eat more then normal, but break it down into 4-6 meals a day. Avoid bread unless its whole or multi-grain. Try not to eat after 8 o'clock and no carbs after 6. Then just use this program you suggested and do a bit of sport and you start to lose fat pretty quickly. :smile:

That means no ketchup... :angry: And you raise a good point about breaking the meals down
Original post by Dilsz
That means no ketchup... :angry: And you raise a good point about breaking the meals down

It's totally worth it though! But yeah the first few weeks without barbecue sauce was a dark time in my life :P But there is crazy amounts of sugar in it which i never realised.
Reply 14
Original post by Mattp9850
It's totally worth it though! But yeah the first few weeks without barbecue sauce was a dark time in my life :P But there is crazy amounts of sugar in it which i never realised.

Hmmm i'll try it out alongside the breaking meals down cheers mate
Reply 15
Reduce: junk food, portion sizes, fizzy drinks

Drink water before meals as it helps to fill you up more before

Sit ups are good

Do plenty of exercise: take the stairs instead of lift, walk instead of driving or catching a bus/taxi/train, find an exercise you like and stick with it (running, cycling, swimming, sport)

A lot comes down to will power - don't feel like you can eat some chocolate because it won't add much, set a time of the day where you can eat sweet things, but you need to be tough with cravings and not give in :smile:
There is only one scientifically proven way of getting abs - by lowering your bodyfat %.

How is this achieved? By expending more energy than you consume I.E. EAT LESS THAN YOU NEED. How much you needs depends on how much you weigh, how tall you are, how old you are, what your bodyfat % currently is, and how active you are. Google "how to calculate maintenance calories" and read as much as you possibly can. When you feel confident to calculate this number, do so and run it by me - I'd be happy to check the numbers for you.

Then, you take this number, and subtract 500 - this gives you the number of calories you need to consume per day to lose fat. You should count calories to achieve this - myfitnesspal.com is a fantastic website to track calories and they have a fantastic iphone and android app that a lot of people use daily. Track calories and eat at a deficit until you have abs. Congrats, it's that simple. It's not easy, but its very very simple. I would recommend a weekly cheat meal to replenish Leptin (hormone) levels - this will help with hunger and satiety.

I can guarantee if you follow my instructions to the letter, you will get "abs".
Reply 17
Original post by HFerguson
There is only one scientifically proven way of getting abs - by lowering your bodyfat %.

How is this achieved? By expending more energy than you consume I.E. EAT LESS THAN YOU NEED. How much you needs depends on how much you weigh, how tall you are, how old you are, what your bodyfat % currently is, and how active you are. Google "how to calculate maintenance calories" and read as much as you possibly can. When you feel confident to calculate this number, do so and run it by me - I'd be happy to check the numbers for you.

Then, you take this number, and subtract 500 - this gives you the number of calories you need to consume per day to lose fat. You should count calories to achieve this - myfitnesspal.com is a fantastic website to track calories and they have a fantastic iphone and android app that a lot of people use daily. Track calories and eat at a deficit until you have abs. Congrats, it's that simple. It's not easy, but its very very simple. I would recommend a weekly cheat meal to replenish Leptin (hormone) levels - this will help with hunger and satiety.

I can guarantee if you follow my instructions to the letter, you will get "abs".

calculated.png

I got this from the first size i clicked on. Don't really mean much to me maybe you could help
Original post by Dilsz
calculated.png

I got this from the first size i clicked on. Don't really mean much to me maybe you could help

Dude, I told you to read as much as possible before calculating. This is a journey of education. Go away and keep reading, you cannot just use the first google link.

I need some information from you: height, weight, age, waist size, and on a scale of 1-10 how active you are on a daily basis (1 = bedbound, 10 = manual labour job or similar)

"Maintenance" calories are the calories that you need to eat per day to neither gain weight nor lose weight - i.e. maintain your current weight.

BMR stands for basal metabolic rate, aka "coma calories" - the number of calories your body burns at complete rest from physiological processes, like digestion etc. Doesn't include walking or physical activity. Number of calories your body would burn per day if you were bed bound in a coma. This number is used to calculate your maintenance calories. Hope this info is helpful to you.

Generally, you calculate BMR (try googling "BMR calculator), and then you multiply yhour BMR number by 1.2-1.9 (Depending on how active you are) to calculate your maintenance calories. THen you subtract 500 calories from THAT maintenance number to get the number of calories you should eat to lose weight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by HFerguson
Dude, I told you to read as much as possible before calculating. This is a journey of education. Go away and keep reading, you cannot just use the first google link.

I need some information from you: height, weight, age, waist size, and on a scale of 1-10 how active you are on a daily basis (1 = bedbound, 10 = manual labour job or similar)

Sorry :P I'm 5FT 8 inches 65KG i'm 17 waist is a 32 and i'd say around 5 on the scale

Quick Reply

Latest