The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get an internship with an MEP/European Parliament?

I would like to get one..
Reply 1
Hello,

I am in the same situation but one for a MP not an MEP. Any help on this would be much appreciated!
What kind of candidate would get such an opportunity ?
Reply 3
Not too bad, write to your local MEPs asking if they need a stagiaire (it's sometimes easier to get work for Strasbourg, as it's busy and they usually leave an assistant in Brussels and only take one to Stras). Language skills are obviously a big bonus, particularly French as, in addition to all the internal p'ment stuff, you'll sort stuff like hotels and restaurants out for them.

Most parties aren't too fussed about your political leanings, certainly the main 3. Greens were more interested in having people who supported their views, not sure about UKIP or the BNP.
Original post by Le Nombre
Not too bad, write to your local MEPs asking if they need a stagiaire (it's sometimes easier to get work for Strasbourg, as it's busy and they usually leave an assistant in Brussels and only take one to Stras). Language skills are obviously a big bonus, particularly French as, in addition to all the internal p'ment stuff, you'll sort stuff like hotels and restaurants out for them.

Most parties aren't too fussed about your political leanings, certainly the main 3. Greens were more interested in having people who supported their views, not sure about UKIP or the BNP.

So is it hard to secure such work? and if you do is it impressive?
Reply 5
Original post by iamsuperwoman
So is it hard to secure such work? and if you do is it impressive?

It depends a lot on your CV, I wrote to about 10 I think before I got a stage, so it's certaonly nothing like a proper grad job or anything.

Employers seemed fairly impressed, looked good having an MEP as a referee, but it's hard to quantify exactly how impressive it is, I certainly wasn't walking into jobs on the back of it.
Original post by Le Nombre
It depends a lot on your CV, I wrote to about 10 I think before I got a stage, so it's certaonly nothing like a proper grad job or anything.

Employers seemed fairly impressed, looked good having an MEP as a referee, but it's hard to quantify exactly how impressive it is, I certainly wasn't walking into jobs on the back of it.

oh ok.. so not that great then huh? I'll stick to an mp
Reply 7
Original post by iamsuperwoman
oh ok.. so not that great then huh? I'll stick to an mp

Well, depends, couple of my mates worked for MPs and they weren't walktzing into jobs on the back of that either.

Generally it's easier to get if you have certain skills, notably languages and a knowledge of European law and politics, whereas obviously for an MP you don't need those. If you want to have a more internationally focussed career it looks better (contacts across Europe, understand how European lobbying works and so on) whereas if you don't want that international side to your job, either working abroad or for an international business or organisation in the UK, the difference is negligible and MPs have more power so are probably slightly more prestigious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending