The Student Room Group

Lost 1k at the bookies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkhorse85
Yeah, what basically happened, when I won a **** load, I budgeted for the month based on my winnings.

When everything backfired, it ****ed my budget up (totally took me by surprise).

Anyway, I dropped to -307. Clawed back to -80

Not finding this fun :frown:

Do you have a job? Perhaps you should view gambling as extra income rather than relying on it?
Original post by Blazinq
Why not just do match betting? Never done it myself as I'm 17 and probably can't until I'm 18, but isn't it basically guaranteed to make you money/not a loss?

You can make a lot more money betting normally. But you can also lose a lot more.
Feel like an idiot don't you. If anything use this as a motivation to work hard and make a good honest living not with greedy risk like this.
You are no different to a greedy banker who does it on a bigger scale, but with our money instead of yours.

Work hard, play safe.
Original post by RowingGoose
Do you have a job? Perhaps you should view gambling as extra income rather than relying on it?

yes, not the greatest paid job.
Reply 64
This is why I don't/ never have gambled...
OP... I think you might have a gambling addiction.
fill those fobt's up, if you see any xtrabets above £200, let me know, rather have extended playtime you know

youll never win if you dont try

and if you fail once, try try again

dont be a quitter, keep goin,

i support you

bookies rely on people giving up after losing, if you go in the next day, theyll be upset but theres nothing they can do, as you will be able to recoup your losses and even win some, got banned by a bookies for fighting back my losses , but still ended £+350

All it takes is 1 number/1 £2 spin and you could win the gold pot/£500 jackpot

rather spend £2 on that then a pack of fags or booze,

Also, if you play roulette, a good trick that the bookies cant ban is that you place £1 on red, and if you win, you win, but if you lose £1, you stick £1 on black, then if you lose again, £2 on black, this way you will be so unlikely to lose, and will keep building those £1 in no time( you can do it with £2, £5, £10 starting stake)

Also, xtrabet is good value if its above £90...

Happy betting...
Reply 67
Original post by chickenonsteroids
You can make a lot more money betting normally. But you can also lose a lot more.

Though isn't match betting basically 100% guaranteed to break even or make profit? I'd rather do that weekly than trying to get lucky, where the odds won't be in your favour
Original post by rickfloss
fill those fobt's up, if you see any xtrabets above £200, let me know, rather have extended playtime you know

youll never win if you dont try

and if you fail once, try try again

dont be a quitter, keep goin,

i support you

bookies rely on people giving up after losing, if you go in the next day, theyll be upset but theres nothing they can do, as you will be able to recoup your losses and even win some, got banned by a bookies for fighting back my losses , but still ended £+350

All it takes is 1 number/1 £2 spin and you could win the gold pot/£500 jackpot

rather spend £2 on that then a pack of fags or booze,

Also, if you play roulette, a good trick that the bookies cant ban is that you place £1 on red, and if you win, you win, but if you lose £1, you stick £1 on black, then if you lose again, £2 on black, this way you will be so unlikely to lose, and will keep building those £1 in no time( you can do it with £2, £5, £10 starting stake)

Also, xtrabet is good value if its above £90...

Happy betting...

+300 up from -1200
Original post by Blazinq
Though isn't match betting basically 100% guaranteed to break even or make profit? I'd rather do that weekly than trying to get lucky, where the odds won't be in your favour

dont bother, too much effort for 500-700 quid, rather win a £5 acca and get £500+ returns for 5 mins work
(edited 10 years ago)
Bunch of ballers ITT, 15k? Farkk I feel like I'm throwing money away when I drop £250 into it. What are you betting on OP?
Original post by Jay84
The most I have won in a session was about £15,000 but it doesn't matter. I only won lots of money because I bet lots of money. generally, you only win £15,000 by gambling in the same way that you lose £15,000.

I've never really bought anything with money I have won and I literally have nothing now. Anything I have ever had I have ended up selling. Money you win from gambling isn't real money - it is just monopoly money.

Anyway, for now think about this: I assume you are gambling online. It is christmas day. I am not asking you to stop gambling forever and am not saying you won't ever win back your losses but remember this - the bookies will still be there tomorrow. Your money might not be. Just give yourself that little bit of distance so you can really think whether you want to lose the £800 or whatever it is you have left.

Got back down to zero and now 300 up.

God I am so so so exhausted.

Gambling is very hard work, employed so many tactics to get to this point.

1) Cancelling my bets (point spread), if I saw it wasn't going well. Before - I wouldnt do it, and the bookies would always get me, I guess it is because they can see I was being greedy.
2) Cash in, to claw back money from bets I think would lose (and did lose)
3) luck and a serious amount of balls.
4) Weathering the storm when I was on a losing steak. Damage control.
Original post by Nick1sHere
Bunch of ballers ITT, 15k? Farkk I feel like I'm throwing money away when I drop £250 into it. What are you betting on OP?

Volleyball, basketball and footie.

Have a merry xmas everyone!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
Anyone who gambles for anything other than a bit of fun (e.g. an unimportant amount on a game you're watching) is clearly not thinking straight... Attempting to make money out of gambling is foolish; the bookie is always going to know the odds better then you are and they are angling them in their own favour. It's like betting on a coin toss, but in the knowledge that the odds are skewered so even if you win you won't get what you deserve.

That said, I'm all for taking advantage of joining bonuses that can skewer the odds in your favour (when properly done). That then becomes a calculated risk rather than gambling in my eyes.
Reply 74
Got back down to zero and now 300 up.

God I am so so so exhausted.

Gambling is very hard work, employed so many tactics to get to this point.

1) Cancelling my bets (point spread), if I saw it wasn't going well. Before - I wouldnt do it, and the bookies would always get me, I guess it is because they can see I was being greedy.
2) Cash in, to claw back money from bets I think would lose (and did lose)
3) luck and a serious amount of balls.
4) Weathering the storm when I was on a losing steak. Damage control.

I've highlighted the only bit of this nonsense actually responsible for you winning.

Quit now and stop being foolish... Their bank roll is bigger then yours so sooner or later they'll clean you out if you don't control yourself.
Volleyball, basketball and footie.

Have a merry xmas everyone!

You got any on for tomorrow?
Original post by M1011
I've highlighted the only bit of this nonsense actually responsible for you winning.

Quit now and stop being foolish... Their bank roll is bigger then yours so sooner or later they'll clean you out if you don't control yourself.

To be honest, I am no means a pro gambler. But it is not pure luck to overturn such a huge figure - I had many set backs whilst doing it to overturn it. I had to have to win most of my bets 50+% success rate.
Original post by Nick1sHere
You got any on for tomorrow?

nah not gambling after tonight
Reply 78
To be honest, I am no means a pro gambler. But it is not pure luck to overturn such a huge figure - I had many set backs whilst doing it to overturn it. I had to have to win most of my bets 50+% success rate.

Yet you do understand the concept that people with far more knowledge/resources then you are setting those odds that you're betting on right? You also understand that those odds are designed to make profit for them?

It is 100%, absolute, undeniably only luck that can have turned your fortune around. Please don't be so stupid as to not understand that or you will end up broke.
Original post by M1011
Yet you do understand the concept that people with far more knowledge/resources then you are setting those odds that you're betting on right? You also understand that those odds are designed to make profit for them?

It is 100%, absolute, undeniably only luck that can have turned your fortune around. Please don't be so stupid as to not understand that or you will end up broke.

I am not saying there was an element of luck involved. But if you know the sport that you are betting on, teams - match ups etc you are more likely to win. Like today Miami heat went behind against the LA lakers - they were the better team, I took advantage of the point spread being low inplay and won.

If you want pure luck games - roulette etc are exactly that, which I dont play.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending