The Student Room Group

How long does the flu last?

I've had the flu for 2 days now and i can't remember ever being so ill; I have a fever, headache, sore throat, cold and sore chest- not to mention feeling dizzy and wobbly when I get up. I'm taking medicine to try and speed up getting better but it's Christmas in a few days! I've never really had the flu but do you think it'll be gone by then? How long does it usually last?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I had it a few years ago. (It may or may not have been swine flu...) I think it lasted a few days, a week at most.
Between 3-14 days usually. Eat soup, keep warm, you may be well for Christmas, you may still feel crap for new year, but either way, get well soon :h:
Reply 3
Original post by NaomiMG
I've had the flu for 2 days now and i can't remember ever being so ill; I have a fever, headache, sore throat, cold and sore chest- not to mention feeling dizzy and wobbly when I get up. I'm taking medicine to try and speed up getting better but it's Christmas in a few days! I've never really had the flu but do you think it'll be gone by then? How long does it usually last?

Posted from TSR Mobile

about a week on average, from personal experience, and I've only ever had it twice in my life.

Are you sure you have the flu? WHen you know, you know.
Reply 4
First three days tend to be the worst, then slowly my health will pick up. Never really last longer than a week. Be careful though; get plenty of bed rest, fluids and chicken soup even if you are starting to feel better. The Flu is notorious for making dreaded comebacks.
Reply 5
5-7 (worst part) days at most, but some symptoms may still persist for 14 days or so...

Quick Reply

Latest