The Student Room Group

What would you change about the education system

Majority of people have their own opinions on how education should be taught, even if its just a small change or a complete restructure of the system. So what would you change?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Id replace Michael gove. I know changes are made all the time but the way he is implementing the changes is unorganized and haven't been thought through

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd privatise it, or at the very least I'd repeal uniform policies, secularise it and make PE optional and changeable with another subject
Reply 3
Get rid of PE.

I still had to do it in bloody sixth form, I was spending nearly two hours every week half-heartedly pretending to play badminton when I could have been making progress with the mountains of coursework they piled on us. :nothing:
Original post by TheLoveDoctor
I'd privatise it, or at the very least I'd repeal uniform policies, secularise it and make PE optional and changeable with another subject

So everyone'd have to pay?

(Not to mention that decreased amount of PE lessons is imo not the right thing to do... interested as to your reasons why?)
Original post by cant_think_of_name
So everyone'd have to pay?

(Not to mention that decreased amount of PE lessons is imo not the right thing to do... interested as to your reasons why?)

well I'm a bit of a free marketeer and I think people should pay for their own education, not to mention the fact that it makes education more efficient locally (e.g. the individual can choose their own school, or at least they are in a more flexible position with competing schools for students etc seeing as it'll be profit-centred so services will need to be heightened while prices will need to be minimised, thus making it affordable for everybody). in terms of PE, I personally feel that although kids should have the right to play sports at break and lunch (e.g. in one of my schools it was actually banned) sometimes there are fat kids that can't deal with it and often there are occasions where kids can get injured while they're actually ordered to participate in these conditions, e.g. when I was a kid I'd *always* get hit in the face with the ball during football, so it's pretty unethical to full-on instruct kids without any alternatives to play these potentially dangerous games. besides, schools are for learning, not for exercising, right? what do you learn by exercising? surely you can exercise at home or at break/lunch time? surely that time could be used to teach kids proper lessons etc
Original post by Jess_1324
Majority of people have their own opinions on how education should be taught, even if its just a small change or a complete restructure of the system. So what would you change?

At school level, I would get local authorities out of the system completely. Effectively I would make all schools academies. However the corollary is that the government must set up an independent audit service for them. Heads can be trusted to run education without having a local government bureaucrat looking over their shoulder. As the last couple of years have shown they can;t be trusted to keep their hands out of the sweetie jar.

At university level, Oxford and Cambridge have to grow. There has been no expansion in undergraduate teaching at either university since the 1970s. Both universities should be required to commit to adding two new colleges for mainstream undergraduate teaching within 10 years.
Reply 7
I would get rid of free schools, academies, religious schools, grammar schools and private schools. All schools should be state comprehensives. end of.
Original post by franrw
I would get rid of free schools, academies, religious schools, grammar schools and private schools. All schools should be state comprehensives. end of.

Why would you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by franrw

With everyone wearing Chairman Mao suits?
Reply 10
Let Michael Gove do whatever he wanted to it.
Reply 11
more discipline
police charges to damage and crime committed at school
the re introduction of the cane
anyone who's kids misbehave loses benefits temporarily
Original post by meenu89
Let Michael Gove do whatever he wanted to it.

BY the time he was done all male teachers would have to have mullets, female ones shoulder pads and they would be all be required to drive Audi Quattros or Volkswagen Golfs and listen to Duran Duran.
Reply 13
Original post by Padwas
more discipline

I most definitely agree with bring back the cane or some sort of more severe punishment then "If you're not quite for the rest of the lesson, then I'll send you to another classroom!!" That's such a pathetic way to discipline a child, and they just do it to the same kid again, and again, and again!! :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by SkAlley
I most definitely agree with bring back the cane or some sort of more severe punishment then "If you're not quite for the rest of the lesson, then I'll send you to another classroom!!" That's such a pathetic way to discipline a child, and they just do it to the same kid again, and again, and again!! :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes good to see someone else agree
Reply 15
Original post by nulli tertius
BY the time he was done all male teachers would have to have mullets, female ones shoulder pads and they would be all be required to drive Audi Quattros or Volkswagen Golfs and listen to Duran Duran.

Duran Duran are awesome. Nuff said :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I'd do a lot of things, but most important yes is probably discipline. Not to be confused with uniforms and standing up bull****, but proper sanctions for misbehaviour (disruption of teaching and learning), combined with an emphasis on work ethic in class.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IlexBlue
Get rid of PE.

I still had to do it in bloody sixth form, I was spending nearly two hours every week half-heartedly pretending to play badminton when I could have been making progress with the mountains of coursework they piled on us. :nothing:

PE is not compulsory for sixth-formers, that's a school policy.

Original post by TheLoveDoctor
in terms of PE, I personally feel that although kids should have the right to play sports at break and lunch (e.g. in one of my schools it was actually banned) sometimes there are fat kids that can't deal with it and often there are occasions where kids can get injured while they're actually ordered to participate in these conditions, e.g. when I was a kid I'd *always* get hit in the face with the ball during football, so it's pretty unethical to full-on instruct kids without any alternatives to play these potentially dangerous games. besides, schools are for learning, not for exercising, right? what do you learn by exercising? surely you can exercise at home or at break/lunch time? surely that time could be used to teach kids proper lessons etc

I love the ability of people to say 'but some children struggle with PE' when they'd never use the excuse to let children off any other kind of learning. For many children, 2 hours of PE a week is all the physical exercise they'll actually get.

Original post by Padwas
more discipline

Original post by SkAlley

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's undoubtably a behaviour problem in British schools, but bringing back the cane and fining parents is not an effective way to prevent it. All but the most extreme behaviour (I'm talking children incapable of being in a mainstream school), behaviour can be dealt with effectively with current legislation - it just requires good leadership and teachers who know how to deal with behaviour.

To answer the OP, I'd prevent Westminster having the level of control they currently have over education by setting up an inter-party parliamentary board to control education, preventing every minister bringing in completely new legislation every 5 (or fewer) years, which schools can't hope to keep up with. I'd also like to do something to lower teachers' workload; I'm not sure how much bureaucracy comes from central government, so I'm not sure how I'd do this. Lastly, I'd make it illegal for Ofsted inspectors to do consultancy work, because at the moment they can tell teachers what they want and it makes inspection into some sort of game. I'd also ensure that all inspectors had at least 10 years experience teaching at the age-level they are inspecting.
More parental engagement- compulsory attendance at parents evening for at least one parent/guardian, make clear to parents what their role is e.c.t & more classes to help parents who are unsure about how to do this

Better discipline-, including kids separated completely from friends if persistently misbehaving. Better expectation of behaviour to be made clear regularly.

Homework club every night for kids to stay and do homework after school if they want to. Compulsory attendance and help for those falling behind.

Setting for maths & science for all in yr7-11.
Reply 19
Original post by SkAlley

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with more severe punishments. But there's always the chance that teachers can begin to abuse their power and start to threaten students unnecessarily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending