The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7180
I've sadly never found a series that compares to WoT. It has everything I could need in a book and I haven't even counted up how many times I have read them. If anyone is sad enough they could count it for me. Since the first book I have read every single book at least once before the next book comes out. And that is my minimum :lolwut:

Has anyone else read anything that they feel is both similar and compareable to WoT? I tried reading George R.R. Martin but didn't really enjoy it, enjoying the tv show though :awesome:
Reply 7181
Original post by Mess.
I've sadly never found a series that compares to WoT. It has everything I could need in a book and I haven't even counted up how many times I have read them. If anyone is sad enough they could count it for me. Since the first book I have read every single book at least once before the next book comes out. And that is my minimum :lolwut:

Has anyone else read anything that they feel is both similar and compareable to WoT? I tried reading George R.R. Martin but didn't really enjoy it, enjoying the tv show though :awesome:

One world to rule them all, one world to find them,
One world to bring them all and in darkness bind them.
In Middle Earth, where the hobbits lie.

Quite simply, Jordan wishes he were Tolkien's leftovers. :yep: No better world than Middle Earth, or a better series, for all that it is incomplete.
Reply 7182
Original post by Hylean
One world to rule them all, one world to find them,
One world to bring them all and in darkness bind them.
In Middle Earth, where the hobbits lie.

Quite simply, Jordan wishes he were Tolkien's leftovers. :yep: No better world than Middle Earth, or a better series, for all that it is incomplete.

Been there and done it, most of the surrounding books as well :yep:
I'm trying to trying to develop my sense of geekiness - in fact, I'm asking someone who knows a lot about comic books to help me on my way.
Reply 7184
Woo! I found the Sci-fi/ Fantasy thread! :biggrin:
So what have you all been reading/ watching? :smile:
I recently read The Killing Moon by N.K Jemisin. A really good read. I've also re-read Ghost Story, the 13th Dresden Files book. :smile:
I am stoked for Cold Days! Thankfully they recently announced the release date of the book. (November 27) :biggrin:
I am reviving this thread with a question for all you wonderful people.

Just spent the last two months binging on Star Treks TNG and DS9. Having not seen them in about 10 years I had a whale of a time.

But my next question is - Battlestar Gallactica - yea or nay?

Love me some Sci Fi. Big Trek/Wars/Mass Effect/Firefly fan and am just looking to satisfy that urge for moar.

The boxset isn't expensive and I got some money over the holidays so definitely up for an immediate purchase..
Reply 7186
Well worth it for the first two seasons alone :yep: It moves away from what it should be later on but it is still enjoyable (except for a startlingly bad run of episodes somewhere in the middle).
just joined :h:

love Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape, Supernatural, Game of Thrones, The X-Files, Sliders, Battelstar Galactica, Doctor Who, etc :smile:
Reply 7188
Original post by Mess.

Gah! First time I've seen this thread - I just clicked to the most recent page, read your first sentence and my stomach did a little flip. I'm currently obsessing over this series, just started book 10, and I started a thread about it a while ago. I've read a fair deal of fantasy, but WoT really takes the biscuit. If I think about it, I understand what people say about the "repetitive" writing style, but it doesn't really bother me, I'm in it for the awesome descriptions and character development. The world feels somewhat realistic compared to other fantasy (for me anyway). I think that's what I like the most.
(edited 11 years ago)
Darn, I sure hope this group isn't dead; I've only just found it, come on guys, seriously? :P

At least my college has a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Appreciation Society as enrichment. :3

So.. cx Tolkien stuff, Bioware, Game of Thrones, Bethesda stuff, Firefly, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars. Count me in! :smile:
Original post by BroJoeJoe
Darn, I sure hope this group isn't dead; I've only just found it, come on guys, seriously? :P

At least my college has a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Appreciation Society as enrichment. :3

So.. cx Tolkien stuff, Bioware, Game of Thrones, Bethesda stuff, Firefly, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars. Count me in! :smile:

Game of Thrones is great. Do you prefer the books or the TV series?

As for Doctor Who - who was your favourite Doctor? I never saw the Classic Who so my favourite has to be David Tennant.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Game of Thrones is great. Do you prefer the books or the TV series?

As for Doctor Who - who was your favourite Doctor? I never saw the Classic Who so my favourite has to be David Tennant.

I'm still in the process of reading George RR Martin's books, and although I enjoy it so far, my preference still currently lies with the show. :P Maybe that will change with the future? Who knows! :biggrin:

I think I love all the modern Doctors, all in different ways! If I was forced to choose though it would be David Tennant, as he had some great episodes with a nice balance of drama and comedic relief, in my opinion! But ugh, I love all of them. Haha. Peter Capaldri is awesome, but I think the writing has slipped a little lately which is unfortunate. :frown:

Matt Smith was maybe sometimes a bit too silly, but still a very lovable Doctor overall. :P I think Christopher Eccleston can sometimes be a bit underrated, although I understand that people found him way too serious a lot of the time. :P The episode with the people with the gas masks during World War 2, 'The Empty Child', I think it was called, was just fantastic. :redface:
Original post by BroJoeJoe
I'm still in the process of reading George RR Martin's books, and although I enjoy it so far, my preference still currently lies with the show. :P Maybe that will change with the future? Who knows! :biggrin:

I think I love all the modern Doctors, all in different ways! If I was forced to choose though it would be David Tennant, as he had some great episodes with a nice balance of drama and comedic relief, in my opinion! But ugh, I love all of them. Haha. Peter Capaldri is awesome, but I think the writing has slipped a little lately which is unfortunate. :frown:

Matt Smith was maybe sometimes a bit too silly, but still a very lovable Doctor overall. :P I think Christopher Eccleston can sometimes be a bit underrated, although I understand that people found him way too serious a lot of the time. :P The episode with the people with the gas masks during World War 2, 'The Empty Child', I think it was called, was just fantastic. :redface:

I only watched up to the end of Season 3 of Game of Thrones, but I heard the series is starting to divert away from the books which is a disappointment. :frown:

I wasn't so keen on Steven Moffat's writing because it made the stories too complex (bearing in mind this is a family TV show) and I loved Christopher Eccleston's Doctor! As for that episode, it was very creepy, but I loved Captain Jack! The scariest episode has to be Blink though. :tongue:
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I only watched up to the end of Season 3 of Game of Thrones, but I heard the series is starting to divert away from the books which is a disappointment. :frown:

I wasn't so keen on Steven Moffat's writing because it made the stories too complex (bearing in mind this is a family TV show) and I loved Christopher Eccleston's Doctor! As for that episode, it was very creepy, but I loved Captain Jack! The scariest episode has to be Blink though. :tongue:

Yeah, while all the major events are mostly the same in GoT to the best of my knowledge, there's a few things I've heard that are a little different. I guess it keeps it interesting, but all the same, I can understand the frustration!

And yup! I completely agree! :biggrin: Moffat is pretty good at writing standalone stories every once in a while (he wrote 'Blink', 'The Empty Hearse' and also co-wrote the Sherlock series with Mark Gatiss), but ever since he's taken over as show-runner, things have gotten a little too convoluted. Sometimes the episode resolution basically rolls down to "Oh hey, let's just use my magical sonic screwdriver!" in the last two minutes. Also, I'm not too keen on those moments the lady in a space suit showed up (I forgot her name XD). :P I also kinda' miss Russel T Davies, with his two-part episodes and whatnot which allowed stories to be a bit longer than 45 minutes. :smile:

When I first watched the Blink episode, I fell out of my chair, and I really wasn't expecting it at all. I think I was scared of watching all the other Doctor Who episodes afterwards for a little while.. Haha. It didn't really help that my visiting grandma came over that day and was sitting there chuckling at the entire episode! Nothing scares old people it seems. :wink:
Hello, currently watching all of Red Dwarf. ice to meet everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest