The Student Room Group

Is it too late?

Hi,

I joined a top 10 firm in Manchester a couple of months ago on a Graduate Scheme for ACA. I've passed 2 exams already.

However, I just received an offer from PWC for an April start in London.

Not only is the money insanely different, its in London where I have lived most of my life. Its also the big 4.

The thing is, is it too late? Would PWC even accept me now if I tell them I've done 2 exams with another firm. Is it even possible to leave?
Reply 1
OK first off, yes of course it is possible. You can hand in your notice for any job for any reason, that's your right. I would hazard a guess that your notice will be a month, but you'll have to check your contract. It won't be longer then four months, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Lets consider to pros and cons. What do you lose by moving? I suspect it's the following;

1) It will take longer to qualify by "a couple of months" plus the four months to April, so lets say half a year. PWC will expect you to do the full three year training contract.

2) It is likely you'll face some financial penalty for leaving to repay the firms training costs for those first couple of exams. However if it's early days, this may not be too much overall.

What do you gain by moving? I suspect it's the following;

1) More prestigious firm to qualify with (bigger clients etc). Big brand name for your CV.

2) More money.

3) Better location (based on your personal preferences).

Personally, in your position I'd look to take the PWC offer. But it's not clear cut, so think it through. If you do decide you want to go with PWC, then get it nailed down 100% before you mention anything to your current firm. Talk to HR, explain your situation, confirm your offer and sign a contract. Then (and only then!), tell your current firm that you've decided to make a move and hand in your notice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending