The Student Room Group

Best way to burn 1000 calories at the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertstare
They're concepts which people used to think had relevance to fitness but for a pretty long time now it's been common knowledge that they are nothing more than unfounded broscience

Could you provide some evidence to suggest it's broscience maybe some clinical studies or medical journals??
Reply 81
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Could you provide some evidence to suggest it's broscience maybe some clinical studies or medical journals??

Clean eating? Well clean eating has never actually been accurately defined by anyone, it's just a completely vague nonsensical term that usually boils down to "chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli... and a few other arbitrary foods". All that you should be worried about is hitting your macronutrients, and eating sufficient whole foods that you also get adequate micronutrients (this isn't hard to do at all, and doesn't require your whole diet to come straight out of an IFBB pro's fridge)

As for blood sugar/insulinogenic effects of sugar, it's totally negligible when food is mixed together, and I'm assuming you aren't downing pure glucose on an empty stomach so it's not even a consideration. Not to mention, if you're so worried about insulin, better stop eating protein because it's highly insulinogenic as well

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

^A whole host of studies referenced in that article
Some good advice there, Women should concentrate on heavy lifting more than running for hours.

Well ya know, female bodies are primed for rapid muscle growth so we don't want to look like Ronnie Coleman overnight...
Clean eating? Well clean eating has never actually been accurately defined by anyone, it's just a completely vague nonsensical term that usually boils down to "chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli... and a few other arbitrary foods". All that you should be worried about is hitting your macronutrients, and eating sufficient whole foods that you also get adequate micronutrients (this isn't hard to do at all, and doesn't require your whole diet to come straight out of an IFBB pro's fridge)

As for blood sugar/insulinogenic effects of sugar, it's totally negligible when food is mixed together, and I'm assuming you aren't downing pure glucose on an empty stomach so it's not even a consideration. Not to mention, if you're so worried about insulin, better stop eating protein because it's highly insulinogenic as well

I will have a thorough read but in terms of "eating clean", I stand by eating good whole food which provides a lot more protein, good quality carbs and nutrition for the same calorie count as rubbish food.
Original post by Nomes89
Well ya know, female bodies are primed for rapid muscle growth so we don't want to look like Ronnie Coleman overnight...

LOL you will not be turning into ronnie coleman for a while.
Reply 85
I will have a thorough read but in terms of "eating clean", I stand by eating good whole food which provides a lot more protein, good quality carbs and nutrition for the same calorie count as rubbish food.

No one's saying base your whole diet around fast food and frozen pizzas, but there's literally zero adverse effects from eating small controlled portions of such food in an otherwise solid diet. It's a heck of a lot more enjoyable than eating nothing but lean cuts of chicken, vegetables and brown rice. It's worth remembering your body has finite needs for micronutrients and fibre, this is something "clean eaters" often forget
No one's saying base your whole diet around fast food and frozen pizzas, but there's literally zero adverse effects from eating small controlled portions of such food in an otherwise solid diet. It's a heck of a lot more enjoyable than eating nothing but lean cuts of chicken, vegetables and brown rice. It's worth remembering your body has finite needs for micronutrients and fibre, this is something "clean eaters" often forget

I don't really get bored of these things though because I actually love the food I eat but of course you won't go of the rail if you do have the occasional junk food but I don't think its that easy to go sub 10% body fat and eat too much junk.

The point isn't that eating 'clean' has some magical effect on your body. But if you eat 500 calories of chocolate bar and 500 comprised of chicken and vegetables, one will still leave you hungry an hour later and the other will satisfy you to the point you don't feel hungry for hours. It's a lot easier to over-consume calories when you eat junk and a lot harder when you're consuming food which is more nutrient rich. If she's on a 1200 calorie a day diet, there's really no room for junk or she will become easily hungry and fail.

I eat the flesh off of the posers I see at the gym. Its lean and trying to bite a chunk out of them while they struggle to get me off is good cardio.
LOL you will not be turning into ronnie coleman for a while.

Well it's impossible without injecting some ****.
Reply 90
Original post by Nomes89
The point isn't that eating 'clean' has some magical effect on your body. But if you eat 500 calories of chocolate bar and 500 comprised of chicken and vegetables, one will still leave you hungry an hour later and the other will satisfy you to the point you don't feel hungry for hours. It's a lot easier to over-consume calories when you eat junk and a lot harder when you're consuming food which is more nutrient rich. If she's on a 1200 calorie a day diet, there's really no room for junk or she will become easily hungry and fail.

This is plenty true, but who the hell is on a 1200cal a day diet here? The OP? Plus trying to burn 1000 calories doing cardio?

Flexible dieting is of course much easier to follow on a bulk, and on a cut you need to be a lot more rigid about how much junk you allow in. But I cut on around 2500 calories, and that gives decent room for some foods of personal preference whilst not being hungry. I've really tried and I just can't do the 6 meals a day of chicken and broccoli, even if it's just for a month
This is plenty true, but who the hell is on a 1200cal a day diet here? The OP? Plus trying to burn 1000 calories doing cardio?

Flexible dieting is of course much easier to follow on a bulk, and on a cut you need to be a lot more rigid about how much junk you allow in. But I cut on around 2500 calories, and that gives decent room for some foods of personal preference whilst not being hungry. I've really tried and I just can't do the 6 meals a day of chicken and broccoli, even if it's just for a month

Well she could be eating 2200 and wanting to burn 1000 calories to end on 1200. Although for a long time I was doing that and burning around 500 calories at the gym so it's possible.

Meal regularity is another preference, I only eat lunch and dinner and it's always suited me fine - having big meals I feel like I've eaten more. I understand that others are different but OP should be aware 6 small meals aren't necessarily the only way to go. Plus it's not only dry chicken and plain veg that people can choose from. Nuts are great for snacking. There are ways of seasoning/cooking things differently. It doesn't have to be so limiting.
Reply 92
Original post by Elys
Don't you know?

Everyone is a part-time Muslim!

me too, wbu?
I weigh 167 lbsI try to lose 600-650 calories a dayAnd i skip lunch and eat boiled chilcken sandwiches in dinnerIs it good or bad ???
Have you tried just eating 1000 calories less a day?
Reply 95

Your comment appears to be very logical and intelligent until you question what your saying.

IIFYM dieting, as you are suggesting would help you achieve your goals (if calorific requirements are met). Sure, you can eat Takes Away food and still hit your fats/protein/carbohydrates for the day (then top up with a bit of healthy junk to get them micros). However, you neglect the impact of eating unhealthy foods such as increased cholesterol, higher blood pressure, water retention and puffiness, increased risk of depression, diabetes. Great body, but for how long?

Clean eating never really needed a definition to me. You eat to your macro nutrients in a sensible and considerate way, consuming healthy alternatives rather than fast food or heavily processed alternatives. It seems hypocritical that you call clean eating bro-science when IIFYM (what your suggesting) is also a form of bro-science.

As for your website link, I reviewed the content and questioned the reference material. For example, the website highlights a direct link between leucine and insulin production but fails to mention that in the same article the authors found glucose completely blocked this effect. Some of the articles were linked to animal studies of which you also need to question the validity. It is easy to cherry pick data and produce convincing articles, it is difficult to be critical of everything you read.
Original post by Secretnerd123
And how long does it take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a boxer, jump rope and HIIT is the way to go. Maybe 1hr? Idk 1hr is too little to burn any significant calories.
Original post by Secretnerd123
And how long does it take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google it haha
You could do that with a 15k run, I did a 30k run in 2 hours and 55 mins, burning around 2000kcal. Unless you're training for a specific event or something I'd say why would you want to do that anyway? Consistency is more important than intensity! Enjoy training and make it a lifestyle, otherwise it just gets dull and you're more likely to burn out. Also, for a novice, that sounds like a recipe for injury!

Curcuit training burns more calories time wise, but it's way more intense and tiring.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest