The Student Room Group

URGENT: Can I stop taking Microgynon 30 a week early and have my 7 day break a week e

Hi,
I've been taking microgynon for 6 months now and I have taken it properly asides from having 2 packs back to back once. in that 42 day period I experienced heavy constant spotting at around the 25 or so day mark - not fun.
im due to see my boyfriend on thursday 9th of january for a week but im due to finish on my pill on the 6th (monday) for my 7 day break. i always start my period around the wednesday or thursday of my week off so I would be on my period for the majority of the time i get to see him. My question is would it be safe and would I be covered for contraception if I left a week of my active pills and started my 7 day break a week earlier? or would it be a better option to stop two weeks earlier, ie take my 7 day break then take 7 weeks of pills before seeing my boyfriend?
my main question is would I still be covered for contraception?

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE??:confused:
No, you wouldn't be covered as you need to take a minimum of 21 pills in a row before having a break to be protected. Think about it, if you missed one or two pills out of your cycle you'd be at risk of pregnancy, so why would you think you could miss a week from your cycle and be ok?

Best thing to do is back to back, take them as normal and manage or take an extra weeks pills and have your break a week later. This would mean you only have 14 pills in your next pack so you would have to keep taking a weeks worth from the next pack. Its fine to have your break a little later or take two or three packs back to back but you should never have your break early.
Reply 2
hmm, why don't you just not have your 7 day break? that's what i did, but i certainly wouldn't advice you to stop your pill before you are supposed to! Have fun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest