The Student Room Group

Applying to Sixth Form

Hello, primarily I want to study at the sixth form which is connected to my current secondary school. I have applied, had my interview and been given a conditional place regarding whether I get the 7A*s-C at GCSE. I am fairly confident that I will pass all 10 of my GCSEs so I am not really worried about the grades. But it seems that in my school everyone who applied has been given a conditional place. This makes me think that the sixth form isn't really taking it seriously and will probably decline some people who they have already given conditional offers to as there is no more spaces, can they do that?

I don't want to go to any other sixth form as I am very shy, and a huge introvert. I am already accustom to my school and would love to stay there.

Should I apply to other sixth forms even though I don't want to go to them. Most of them require interviews and I will be uncomfortable going to their school and being interviewed by someone I don't know. Plus I would feel weird pretending to want to go to their sixth form when I really don't. What shall I do? I am in fear that my school will have to say 'no' to me as there is no more spaces, despite me being in the top 20% of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Some people won't get 7A*-Cs, I'm sure the college know what they're doing by giving out the number of offers they do. It sounds harsh, but a certain percentage of people are always going to get less than that.
Reply 2
I agree with poster above, even if you were to get 6 A*-C's you could probably appeal as you're such a good student. And if they were to change their minds on a few people it wouldn't be you - as in your words you're in the top 20% of students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Pretty sure my school did a similar thing and it wasn't an issue, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I never applied to any other sixth forms or colleges, don't think anyone else I know did either, generally it's not something you have to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
My sixth form school actually didn't even make me a conditional offer, well, not that I can remember :dontknow: But as everyone else mentioned, they know what they're doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
even is you don't get into your 6th form you can still apply to any other one, or you could even apply for college. colleges do excellent A level choices. im sure you will get a place anyway
Reply 6
I'm not worried about not getting the grades, as I am capable. But can a sixth form turn you down after they have given you a conditional space and you still meet the requirements of 7a*-c?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
I'm not worried about not getting the grades, as I am capable. But can a sixth form turn you down after they have given you a conditional space and you still meet the requirements of 7a*-c?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, you are guaranteed a place if you meet the offer requirements.
Reply 8
Original post by dragonkeeper999
no, you are guaranteed a place if you meet the offer requirements.

Okay thank you! And thank you everyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest