The Student Room Group

Most respected Maths degrees?

Hello TSR, My situation is kind of a weird one.
About 6 months ago I had dreams of becoming a Doctor or an Engineer as I was among the brightest in my school. As naive was I am, I overlooked the fact that Science was my weakest subject, which I heard is slightly important for Medicine and Engineering.

Despite the fact I'm a C/B Grade kind of student in Science (Chemistry and Biology specifically), I excel in Maths which is kind of strange seeing as Maths is a Science.

Therefore I'm faced with a predicament, What is the most respected kind of Mathematics degrees that won't lead to Unis caring about my Science grades.

I do wish to have a career in Mathematics in the future, but every degree I've looked at thus far has demanded Science to go with it.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by IrishBoyInLondon
Hello TSR, My situation is kind of a weird one.
About 6 months ago I had dreams of becoming a Doctor or an Engineer as I was among the brightest in my school. As naive was I am, I overlooked the fact that Science was my weakest subject, which I heard is slightly important for Medicine and Engineering.

Despite the fact I'm a C/B Grade kind of student in Science (Chemistry and Biology specifically), I excel in Maths which is kind of strange seeing as Maths is a Science.

Therefore I'm faced with a predicament, What is the most respected kind of Mathematics degrees that won't lead to Unis caring about my Science grades.

I do wish to have a career in Mathematics in the future, but every degree I've looked at thus far has demanded Science to go with it.

Any advice?

if you 'excel' at maths, try STEP. maths and further maths a level aren't seen as good enough preparation for undergraduate maths at top unis.
Stop being lazy and just work at your sciences. There's nothing hard about it it's just learning. Ok you may be good at maths but that will get you nowhere in life if you can't put in some hard work.
Original post by Sheepish153
Stop being lazy and just work at your sciences. There's nothing hard about it it's just learning. Ok you may be good at maths but that will get you nowhere in life if you can't put in some hard work.

I'm not being lazy, I should be an E student but I've worked my arse off getting to a C grade.

I'm already doing A Levels and was denied the chance to do any Science subjects because of my painfully average grade, so any work put in now will be fruitless.
I'm not being lazy, I should be an E student but I've worked my arse off getting to a C grade.

I'm already doing A Levels and was denied the chance to do any Science subjects because of my painfully average grade, so any work put in now will be fruitless.

Fair enough...
You can do engineering with just maths and physics.
Reply 6
take further maths with lots of mechanics modules. M1,2,3,4(perhaps) is far better preparation for an engineering degree than the 'Physics' a level.
Original post by VDW
take further maths with lots of mechanics modules. M1,2,3,4(perhaps) is far better preparation for an engineering degree than the 'Physics' a level.

It's a possible way in, but if the OP got B/C in physics GCSE I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I did all science A-levels an a maths degree and M3 was my worst module by far. It might be worth looking into though.

OP, what did you actually get in maths? I'm not trying to put you off, and it's perfectly possible to improve at A-level, but we just need a bit more information. It's very rare to excel at maths but have to work to get your sciences from an E to C grade, unless you had a bad teacher?

Alternatively, try STEP, AEA etc - if you can do well in those most universities should be forgiving of non-science a-levels, though it may be worth phoning around. They are hard though, so don't neglect your other A-levels. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Octohedral
It's a possible way in, but if the OP got B/C in physics GCSE I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I did all science A-levels an a maths degree and M3 was my worst module by far. It might be worth looking into though.

OP, what did you actually get in maths? I'm not trying to put you off, and it's perfectly possible to improve at A-level, but we just need a bit more information. It's very rare to excel at maths but have to work to get your sciences from an E to C grade, unless you had a bad teacher?

Alternatively, try STEP, AEA etc - if you can do well in those most universities should be forgiving of non-science a-levels, though it may be worth phoning around. They are hard though, so don't neglect your other A-levels. :smile:
the mechanics modules are far more rigorous in their approach to teaching the foundation of physics than the physics a level itself. lack of thorough understanding can throw people--such as OP--off, so this might be just what he needs.

having said that, m3 is a killer (doing it now :frown:)

I got an A* in Maths GCSE but I only ended up with a C in Science, I was forced to do Double Award Science and couldn't do Physics on it's own even though I'd of gotten a decent grade in it.

Now literally all degrees I look at or was interested in require a Science A Level, which I'm not doing, so it feels like my world's been tipped upside down.
I got an A* in Maths GCSE but I only ended up with a C in Science, I was forced to do Double Award Science and couldn't do Physics on it's own even though I'd of gotten a decent grade in it.

Now literally all degrees I look at or was interested in require a Science A Level, which I'm not doing, so it feels like my world's been tipped upside down.

In that case, perhaps the M1-4 route would be a good option for you.

Another option is to self-teach Physics A-level, and pay (£60ish) to enter the exam through another school or college. This is a very viable route if you are willing to put the time in, or potentially take a gap year.

In any case, don't give up. I know what it's like to be told you can't do something by ignorant people who judge you on your exam results, but if you can excel in maths (as I said, STEP and AEA are very hard, but would certainly get you into a respected maths course, possibly even without any sciences, and you've got nothing to lose if you have the time), possibly do further maths, and possibly do Physics A-level then there are definitely routes into university available to you.

I'm a fourth year maths student - feel free to ask if you want any more advice. :smile:
In that case, perhaps the M1-4 route would be a good option for you.

Another option is to self-teach Physics A-level, and pay (£60ish) to enter the exam through another school or college. This is a very viable route if you are willing to put the time in, or potentially take a gap year.

In any case, don't give up. I know what it's like to be told you can't do something by ignorant people who judge you on your exam results, but if you can excel in maths (as I said, STEP and AEA are very hard, but would certainly get you into a respected maths course, possibly even without any sciences, and you've got nothing to lose if you have the time), possibly do further maths, and possibly do Physics A-level then there are definitely routes into university available to you.

I'm a fourth year maths student - feel free to ask if you want any more advice. :smile:

Thank you! In August when I got my results I felt like there was no hope. I've had to contemplate taking 1 or 2 gap years out when I'm 18-20 to do even MORE for A Levels. It's been difficult to find someone who does 4 years rather than the typical 2 so your message has made me happy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest