The Student Room Group

What work experience would be most fitting?

I don't mind if I don't do something maths-related but it may be helpful for me to see the sort of environment I would be working in after my maths degree. What work experience did you have in year 12 for your maths degree? Any suggestions appreciated, and if not, what cool placements are there that I could try? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlommm
I don't mind if I don't do something maths-related but it may be helpful for me to see the sort of environment I would be working in after my maths degree. What work experience did you have in year 12 for your maths degree? Any suggestions appreciated, and if not, what cool placements are there that I could try? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have ideas about what you might want to do after your degree? That would be the most useful field to get experience in.
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
Do you have ideas about what you might want to do after your degree? That would be the most useful field to get experience in.

Not really, that's why I feel as though it doesn't have to be maths related, I'm open to any suggestions. Not straight on customer service. I would enjoy an office-related placement, or something where i'm using my knowledge or actually doing something rather than handing out leaflets at the door. What did you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlommm
Not really, that's why I feel as though it doesn't have to be maths related, I'm open to any suggestions. Not straight on customer service. I would enjoy an office-related placement, or something where i'm using my knowledge or actually doing something rather than handing out leaflets at the door. What did you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When my school ran work experience in Year 12, I spent some time at the National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER), a private research company. I don't think there are equivalent maths organisations, but the important thing is to organise something yourself - my school (or the organisation who runs it for them) would never have been able to get me such an interesting placement, so have a look around at local businesses/work places and see what interests you - it could be something to do with a hobby/interest of yours outside school.
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
When my school ran work experience in Year 12, I spent some time at the National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER), a private research company. I don't think there are equivalent maths organisations, but the important thing is to organise something yourself - my school (or the organisation who runs it for them) would never have been able to get me such an interesting placement, so have a look around at local businesses/work places and see what interests you - it could be something to do with a hobby/interest of yours outside school.

Wow, that's amazing! Yeah i'll have a look before it's too late :smile: thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest