The Student Room Group

Major/minor course - How to apply on UCAS?

I'm applying for Communication and Media (code P900 on UCAS) but it's the major part of the course - I haven't really decided what minor I want to do with it and I'm not sure if it's OK if I don't put what minor I want on UCAS?

It says this on the uni's site:

Check the Grid of Major and Minor combinations (75:25). Start with the subject you are most interested in, and look at all the possible Minor subjects that can be combined with it.

When you see a combination that interests you, check the detailed course pages for both subjects to learn more about what we offer.

When you have decided what you want to apply for, use the UCAS Major code on the grid; we will then register you for your full Major/Minor combination during your first year at Liverpool. This keeps your options open.

So does this mean I only have to decide on my minor when I start uni? Just wondering cause when you add a choice on UCAS there's a further details section which says 'Only complete this information if it is requested within the UCAS search tool or in the university or college prospectus. If you are applying for a combined degree, you will need to list the subjects that you intend to study.'

Should I leave it blank?

Reply 1
I was confused by that too, and I think you just need to choose the course as is on UCAS, and then Liverpool will sort out your major:minor ratio in your first few weeks there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
A lot of the time first year courses are general and cover a bit of everything, so you do the same first year whether you apply for X with Y or X with Z. This means you don't need to state the "minor" in your UCAS application for that uni. However, other unis will have different policies so check what each uni says - the UCAS guidance is a general idea of what to do. Other unis may require you to specify.

You can still state a preference for the "minor" in your personal statement, though.
Reply 3
I'm applying to Keele and one of the options is 'Psychology (Major with 2nd Subject) I'm applying to study Psychology and Music Technology (I have confirmed with the university that this is possible) But is this the right one to apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending